News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Jim..I change oil only cars(vintage or daily)... a lot.It is the number 1 preventive procedure in keeping the engine well maintained(Personal opinion)
I change oil every 3000 miles on my vintage cars and every 5000 on my daily driver Dodge Ram pick up(2012)
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

FiveSevenLiter

I spent a few years working for a small oil company - Quaker State.  Nothing beats regular maintenance with a good oil and good filter.  Cheap filters don't filter.  Jeff's numbers are right on providing you don't start your car a lot and wash fuel into the crankcase.   T/F
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

hiball3985

My friend an I just went though an exercise of cutting up filters and comparing construction and filter medium. Our findings.
A. Fram is crap
B. Purolater and Motorcraft are identical and we rated as fair
C. Wix was by far the best..

I'm anal about lubrication, I change mine every 2500, pack wheel  bearings every 10,000 and change standard trans and rear gear oil every 25,000. But thats just me  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-09-27 16:19A. Fram is crap
B. Purolater and Motorcraft are identical and we rated as fair
C. Wix was by far the best..
I agree. Yup, Fram is the absolute worst. It's been some time now but when looking for alternate filters for my motorcycles that were less costly than MC dealers and MC factory filters I did a lot of research on oils and filters.  I think you can add Napa's 'gold' filters as equal to the Wix filters. I also read that Wix actually made those filters for Napa. K&N also make excellent oil filters, as good or better than the Wix. One of my most used bikes gets the K&N, another most used bike gets a Wix.
I run Moble 1 synthetic oil in everything. Royal Purple synthetic is also just as good or even a bit better than Moble 1. In cold county synthetic oil is for sure the only way to go. Or anywhere for that matter.
Did a lot of research on air filters too.  I never use the K&N air filters that seem to be so popular.  I tell people that they are good for filtering out rocks & small birds.  :002:

hiball3985

I also believe Wix makes the Napa Gold. What scares me is Fram bought Wix  :005: I used the Royal Purple synthetic in my new rear end, first time for synthetic. I run conventional engine oil and gear oil in all my early cars, but those are the only cars I have  :002:

Friend of mine used the K&N his his fairly new F250 and had constant problems with some sensor, forgot the name, after switching back to a factory filter no more problems..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

FiveSevenLiter

Wix was bought by Mann - Hummel, a German company, and still make a good filter.  Baldwin is also a good product.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Jeff Norwell

I only use Wix..... and buy them at Napa... Oil on my vintage cars..I try to use Brad Penn... when I can find it...Lucas Hotrod Oil.....Amsoil.... all with hi zinc added.... 
It does get expensive... but this hobby is not cheap...
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

WIX = NAPA Gold.  Use only them in all my rides.  The F150 (5.0) is a 5K change. (Mobil 1)  The GT 500 is every 3K. (Castrol synthetic)  Focus is 5K. (Mobil 1) and the "old stuff" (the 36, Edsel, and T-Bird) is every 3K or every spring with NAPA 10 - W30 + a Zink additive.

Guess it works, the new stuff is all staying together despite being driven hard, the old stuff is going strong.  The Bird and Edsel don't have enough miles since their build to really tell any tales, but, the ol 36 has 138K on it and still hits every time the key is turned.  That wrecking yard 351C with unknown miles (2 years old when pulled from a wrecked Ranchero) got a rattle can overhaul and was installed.  Only change was putting a 4bbl manifold on it.  Uses a little oil but don't smoke or leak so I'm guessing the wear and tear over the years has been uniform and minimal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2018-09-27 23:04
Wix was bought by Mann - Hummel, a German company, and still make a good filter.  Baldwin is also a good product.
Thats what I thought. Somewhere I read they were bought by the same parent company as Fram last year. Sorry if that was incorrect.

I've been using Joe Gibbs HR in the 57 and Vavoline conventional in the 60 and 66..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Some cell phone pics from Goodguys
hmmmmmm..........not sure why the thumbnail is upside down, if it is opened or clicked on, it opens up right side up.
Goodguys, on Friday, there were 3 very very nice Fairlane 2 dr hadrtops. This first one I was very surprised to see. 4 or 5 years ago, I posted a link to a you tube video on this car, then it disappeared. This is the best Fairlane build I have ever seen, knocked my socks off when I saw the video. Can't believe I didn't get a pic of the interior. It's for sale if you have 155,000.
The two other Fairlanes had a 4.6 dohc or Coyote. Pics of those to follow
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57imposter

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-09-30 10:13
hmmmmmm..........not sure why the thumbnail is upside down, if it is opened or clicked on, it opens up right side up.
Goodguys, on Friday, there were 3 very very nice Fairlane 2 dr hadrtops. This first one I was very surprised to see. 4 or 5 years ago, I posted a link to a you tube video on this car, then it disappeared. This is the best Fairlane build I have ever seen, knocked my socks off when I saw the video. Can't believe I didn't get a pic of the interior. It's for sale if you have 155,000.
The two other Fairlanes had a 4.6 dohc or Coyote. Pics of those to follow
Beautiful car but at 155K I'm thinking he will own it for awhile.

djfordmanjack

Is that the one with the ostrich leather interior ?
beautiful build, but the wheels are not for me. I am just thinking how the car would look with a classic set of mag wheels like the Igniters or Cragar Eliminator. Even a set of chrome reverseds and 1-3/4 whitewalls would look great.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-09-30 13:33
Is that the one with the ostrich leather interior ?
beautiful build, but the wheels are not for me. I am just thinking how the car would look with a classic set of mag wheels like the Igniters or Cragar Eliminator. Even a set of chrome reverseds and 1-3/4 whitewalls would look great.
Not sure, but I think the one with the ostrich leather was the dark green Custom 300 build, also out of this world, also lost the you tube video on.
This car looked absolutely flawless. Wished the owner was there.
Got a baseball game in a few minutes, I'll post the other outstanding Fairlanes later. BTW, mine was the only Custom there. No wagons or Rancheros, at least on Friday. I'll also post some OT pics of my favorite car there.......a '72 Volvo P2 resto mod!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-09-30 10:13

Maybe for you it does, lol... It's just another I Phone quirk, to solve the problem,  turn the I-phone with the volume buttons facing down when taking pictures.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hiball3985

I agree on the wheels, but I don't like any of those modern wheels on old cars..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang