News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-11-20 17:10
Tom whats your degrees north ?
I am 47 degrees north here in southern Austria.
first snow yesterday.

I'm at 61 north, about 1550 km, or almost 1000 miles north of 47 N.
It's been unusually warm here with what little snow we've had melting a bit. 4:30 am & it's still ~35F. Temp is due to go down to more normal in a day or so.

FiveSevenLiter

I have been to the end of the road at 68.36 N, as well as the end of the road at 24.55 S.

I love an adventure, also have been to Cape Spear amd Neah Bay.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Tom S

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2018-11-21 21:11
I have been to the end of the road at 68.36 N ...

Inuvik?

djfordmanjack

that is way up north ! :003:

RICH MUISE

Happy thanksgiving guys. Our small get together has grown to about 16, hope we don't run out of turkey.
Earlier this year I found a twin sister to my dd Subaru in a salvage yard in Canon City, Colorado. Because of a minor accident a few years ago when a young mother ran into me, I need some body trim, a door, and have worn out my front seat upholstery, broke a dash panel carrying lumber, etc. the Co. car has everything I need, the weather both here and Colorado is 50's and 60's for a week, so I think I'm off for Colorado, maybe tonight. I called yesterday, and the car is pretty much still intact as I saw it in July.
The salvage yard is a combination of new and old stuff. I'll check to see if any '57's have shown up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Thanks and same to you Rich! The weather here is great also, about 7* with the wind chill.  :turkey:

Have a safe trip.

Joe
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

terry_208

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving with the company of good friends and family enjoying a great meal!
Terry

JimNolan

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone on 57fordsforever.com .
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

CobraJoe

That would make an awesome Christmas card!  :iamwithstupid:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

thomasso

Heat wave today 35 degrees.  Going to big family event about 50 mi.  Think I'll take the XK8 ,top up.  No snow forecast.  Fly to Mesa on Tuesday for winter.  After 78 years have learned to Hate snow.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

brushwolf

I'll be happy if I even get to 78, though after a lifetime in MN I have to agree I no longer have much tolerance for snow. 

Just returned to MN from FL cuz the wife has another 4 years to work til retirement. Got a rural house in FL on 9.65 acres, but it needs a pole building to make it hobby-friendly.

Need to sell off excess stuff and an extra hobby farm/toy storage property in MN and eventually do 6 months in each state. FL is too hot in the summer and MN too cold in the winter. Already way too cold in MN and it's only Thanksgiving...

Sure am glad that I insulated and installed heat and AC in both garages here while I was burning up time waiting to retire to my cars. Doubt I could do all that work now and would take time away from doing more enjoyable things.

Happy Thanksgiving - and what is up with parts of Alaska being warmer than here? Noticed that last spring emailing a former high school classmate up there that it was warmer there than here too...
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

FiveSevenLiter

Yes to Inuvik, got there and then hopped on the mail plane and flew across the McKenzie delta to Aklavik.  I had some travel points and called the airline and was told the farthest south I could fly was Seattle, which is a two hour drive from home, no thanks and hung up.  I called back and asked how far north I could go and she tells me Inuvik but it takes two days to fly there.  I booked my flight for the longest day of the year.  Sitting in the Inuvik bar there were two guys next to me from Chicago, school book salesmen.  I asked them what they were doing there and the guys says, we had some travel points to burn.  A whole different world.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Tom S

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2018-11-22 19:55
Yes to Inuvik, got there and then hopped on the mail plane and flew across the McKenzie delta to Aklavik.  I had some travel points and called the airline and was told the farthest south I could fly was Seattle, which is a two hour drive from home, no thanks and hung up.  I called back and asked how far north I could go and she tells me Inuvik but it takes two days to fly there.  I booked my flight for the longest day of the year.  Sitting in the Inuvik bar there were two guys next to me from Chicago, school book salesmen.  I asked them what they were doing there and the guys says, we had some travel points to burn.  A whole different world.

Inuvik isn't the end of the road anymore. They extended the
Dempster Highway about 80 or 90 miles to Tuktoyaktuk, aka 'TUK', which is right on the Arctic ocean. Up 'till now they could only drive or ride there in the winter on an ice road.
Not sure what the condition of the Inuvik to Tuk road is now.
Probably be a lot better next year.
While you were sittin' in the sun in Inuvik on the longest day of the year there were a big bunch of motorcycles & riders gathered in Dawson for an annual event. Dawson is a real neat town with lots of history. Most ride what's called 'Adventure bikes', not cruiser bikes like big Hardlys. Place is infested with bikes like the big BMW GS bikes but there can be a little of everything.  I've only ridden there twice since 2000. It got to be too big of a crowd since my first ride.  Anchorage to Dawson is 500 road miles.  Some friends did ride on to Inuvik once or twice when I wasn't there. Dawson to Inuvik is about 450 miles on the Dempster Hwy, & a couple ferry crossings.
If it rains you'd best park your bike & camp 'cause the road turns that slick.

Some guys from 'Outside' did ride to Tuk this year but the road apparently wasn't quite finished.  Saw pix on the Adventure Rider site of what happened when it rained on some of them. Wheels packed so full of mud up around the forks & to the fenders that the wheels wouldn't turn.
Road's ok when dry.

RICH MUISE

Took a drive up to Canon City, Colorado Friday to the Pikes Peak Motor Co/A-1 Salvage yard to pick up some stuff for my Outback DD. I found it's twin sister up there earlier this year. Picked up a drivers seat with great upholstery (I wore mine out!), a left rear door complete, a dash bezel I had broken carrying lumber, and a body trim panel. The PP Mtr Co is what use to be up in Colorado Springs and got pushed out due to eminent domain/freeway expansion. In the Springs, they were sorta a hot rod speed shop that had a lot of old project cars. When they moved to Canon City, they combined with A-1 Salvage and now have both new and old, plus a showroom for collector cars for sale.
Anyway, very organized yard, very up to date, everything on computer, etc. Here's a new perspective on parts buying now...........you all know how the modern cars have so much plastic that is not available anymore when you break something. Well, these guys have figured that out and guess what now is considered a premium part?? Yep, plastic stuff, lol. I got a complete electric, heated drivers seat with great upholstery for less (75.) than what they charged me for the plastic body trim over the rear wheel well (90)! The door was 200. complete w/ glass, power, matching upholstery to mine, and the same pearl white body color (which is why I spent the $ instead of fixin' it). Looks to be a self aligning door, 4 bolts, plug-in wiring, and it's done. Shouldn't even have to remove the upholstery panel. I still have to r&r the rear quarter to fix where the lady ran into me a few years ago, but it's pearl white, and I've never done pearl, so I want to minimize what I have to do. The painted part of my rear quarter is actually pretty small. Got some experimenting to do when I get to it. The body supply guy told me how to do it to match, so I'm kinda looking forward to playing with it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

All this snow talk prompted me to change the shop over to winter mode.  The mower went to the unheated shed and the snow blower came in.  The '41 project is squeezed into the corner.  The Raunch Wagon is in full on Power Tour prep.  The long list:  alignment, headlight aiming with new LEDs, new pads and rotors, freshen the engine and tranny, Vintage Air, and some sheet metal if there is time.