News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Gas got down under 2 per gal. at many stations here in Amarillo. I saw 1.92 at one place yesterday. Temps back up in the 70's for a while. Life is good.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Getting ready for our annual Christmas trip to WI.  Gas that low is car parts!:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

In Colorado last week, it was still 290+. A few neighborhood stations had it down to 2.67. Wednesday in Oklahoma it was about 2.30ish at the Love's I40 stations. At least for the past 4 or 5 years, Amarillo has always been the cheapest that I've been to.

terry_208

I bought gas yesterday for $2.799, here in Boise.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Earthquake in Anchorage..........hope you and yours are ok, Tom.

hiball3985

Hope all is well Tom, looks like a bad one in some areas..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-11-30 16:44
Earthquake in Anchorage..........

Thanks, Rich & Jim. Doing better now that the electricity is back on. It went out with the first big shaker when the outside temp was just above 20 deg. F & was out for about 10 hours.  House is still trying to warm up.  I'm on a well so no water either.
This was the worst quake I've felt since "The Big One" in March 1964. You never know how long these things will go on & the length is usually what causes the real damage damage. Today's first & main shaker went for just over a minute I think. It was violent & scary due to the length.  Lot of stuff fell from shelves & off walls. Even more stuff flew out of cabinets in the garage.
Somehow none of it hit the Ranchero.  My Roadster up on the 4 post lift that ain't bolted down didn't tip over onto the Ranchero either. None of my motorcycles fell over but not sure yet if they didn't bang into each other.
Had many aftershocks immediately after that lessened in force & length as time went on. The 1st ones were pretty strong & you're thinking;
'Here we go again! When will it stop?!'  

Just now had a couple more aftershocks.
Alaska gets 100s of earthquakes per year but you don't feel most of them.
I did write a few things here years ago about the 1964 quake.
It's effects were felt all over the world & people died from it's tsunami here & as far away as California.
That was 9.2 magnitude quake & went on for 4.5 minutes.
Downtown Anchorage received major damage.  I was downtown at the time & saw things happen that I could never have imagined.
They now say that today's quake was a magnitude of 7.
Per this web site: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/calculator.php
"A 9.2 magnitude earthquake is 158.489 times bigger than a magnitude 7.0 earthquake, but it is 1995.262  times stronger (energy release)."

Some pix on these news sites, Probably more tomorrow. Major roads & highways were damaged.
https://www.adn.com/
https://www.ktuu.com/
https://www.ktva.com/news
16 pix here.
https://www.adn.com/visual/2018/12/01/photos-earthquake-damage-from-the-air/

Damn! There it goes again!
I'm tired. 

RICH MUISE

Awesome to see your post. Couldn't sleep, so got up and was just scanning thru the news, photos, etc of the quake, then came on here. So far, lots of damage, but very little about injuries and fatalities. That's great. Hope it settles down up there very quickly. How far are you from downtown, and which direction? They said the quake was centered 9 miles north of downtown.

hiball3985

I'm glad you are OK. I know how those after shocks rattle the nerves, not knowing if its the start of another big one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I told my wife last night I "knew" somebody from Anchorage. Glad you OK! I 've never experienced an earthquake, don't care to either, I think I will stay with the hurricanes.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Great news!  Been in one, Millington, TN.  Small but really scary.  The sound along with the shaking was a little un-nerving as I had never experienced something like that.  Just really can't imagine being in one of that magnitude.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

I was in Candlestick Park in 1989, waiting for the World Series to start when the earthquake hit. We were sitting 20-25 rows up on the third base side. I can still see the Field Rolling. Sat up at night and drank in the hotel parking lot. Yes they moved the bar outside and set up. Food was scarce and expensive. It was an experience I will not forget. Took 3 days to get out of San Francisco.
My Grandfather was in San Francisco in 1906 on a business trip when that big earthquake hit and burned the city down.
About 10 years ago here in Kentucky we had an earthquake, that rattled the house, glassware etc. Scary!
I had a home in South Florida when Hurricane Andrew hit in 1992. Rode it out. Ugly. Don't want to go through another.
Bill, while in the Navy, I spent time in Millington as well. I remember the signs  on rental houses in Millington and Memphis that said "No Dogs or Sailors"!

FiveSevenLiter

In 1989 I was in Castlegar, British Columbia, went to the hotel bar to watch the ball game and the screen was blank, so I took a drive a couple miles out of town to see the huge hydro electric dam.  I was out on the middle of the dam, got out of the truck but had the radio on.  News came on reporting the huge earthquake in California, I am out on this mega dam by myself and thought about a Tsunami coming down the lake and washing the dam out.  I bolted to the car and booted it back to the hotel for a couple beers.  Yikes.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

RICH MUISE

Late Nov 1970, I moved to Harbor City in the LA area from Massachusetts. Feb, '71 the Sylmar quake hit early AM. We were staying with her mom and dad til we got a place of our own. I remember waking up and looking straight up to the bedroom wall directly over my head. The chandelier in the foyer was doing about a 4 foot circle. Lots of stuff on the floor. Yep scary. Thought about moving back to Mass, lol. If I remember correctly, Harbor City was about 40 miles from the Sylmar epicenter.
Been threw a few hurricanes, the first one I remember was the one that hit Boston in '56. Don't think they named them back then. Just called "the hurricane of '56".
Would rather go thru either again than what the Paradise folks went thru a few weeks ago.

RICH MUISE

Went to a local cruise-in this afternoon. A couple came up to me and told me they were getting married Jan 1, and asked if I'd be interested in chauffering them from hotel to church to reception. Gave them my card, told them I'd be happy to, but they may want to find someone with a 4 door, lol. My sedan is kinda close quartered in the back seat. 'Bout the only way I can get out from the back is to back out, lol, not a very pretty entrance for a bride