News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I hate the stuff. It's got the consistency of pure antifreeze, so it is a little slick on damp roads. One of the main roads around our house is fairly steep and is divided by two municipality's.
Sometimes the city will plow/ salt the hill other times the district will plow/ salt, other times you may only get one side salted or plowed because it's not in their jurisdiction and sometimes it may never get done at all because they thought the other city/ district plow would get it. It's a real crap shoot what your going to get.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

CobraJoe

The main thing I noticed was everything that came in contact with it turned a bright orange color rather than the dark maroon color rust usually is. It eats into everything, wiring, rubber, etc... It even will rust steel wheels to hubs and rotors if it isn't washed regularly. Honestly, I've been plowing for 40+ years and have never had problems like I have had in the past few years; this stuff is horrible.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

terry_208

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-01-17 11:06
My mag chloride story: Colo. Springs firefighter, October with dry roads, 2-3 inches of snow expected in 12 hours and state just sprayed, truck in site. We are on an accident where car slide off the road. Jeep in other divided highway lane slides in mag chloride and rolls, right in front of us! Doctors have a good oath, something about "first do no harm".

It is used here and I find it like driving on an oil slick.
Terry

Jeff Norwell

Just imagine how it leeches off into the soil,groundwater... then into plants,the water system and environment .......No wonder Cancer is so predominant....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

this winter is pretty easy on the white stuff in my area. therefore not as much salt as last year. but they switched over to the super ugly liquid stuff as well a few years ago.
What I dislike is that they don't plow anymore ist seems, everything less than 4" of snow gets ' washed' off wiht liquid salt. it is totally stupid to see this and the slush it causes. until 5 years ago they left smaller roads even in suburban living blocks unsalted and put on a little gravel or sand. I mean- we are living in the Alpine mountains - and we are mountain people! We learn how to drive carefully on snow and there is nothing better to drive a rear driven car on solid snow....lots of fun. I used to get my vintage cars out in the fresh snow and having lots of fun ! the salt is just plain ugly and I don't take them out anymore, except for my daily driver wgn.
here's some  fun in clean straight snow pics. it doesn't hurt the cars at all to get some exercise in wintertime  :002:

rmk57

Those Volkswagens beetles are great in the snow.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

Brought back memories of being in the snow in the mountains with my 2wd F250 chained up and only could get so far, 4wd trucks made it a little past me and then a VW bug drove past all of us  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

CobraJoe

They have VW's in Austria?  :laughing4:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

djfordmanjack

RICH MUISE

Did the 3 J's from Mass. get snowed in this weekend?
Man, I need some baseball, but I absolutely hate what is going on with the Brice and Manny free agency. It's really dragging on. It's just a waiting game with who of the actually THREE are going to commit first, and for how much. I'm convinced, especially with Manny Machado, that both he and the teams interested are waiting to see what my man Arenado is going to do. I think the Yankees are holding off on Machado because Arenado, the better choice imho, may be available next year or even this year if the Rockies can't get him to sign a long extension. Whoever signs Machado or Harper won't be able to go after Arenado later. But, the catch 22, I think Arenado is waiting to see how many Gazzilions Machado gets before he'll finish negotiating with the Rockies. Who's gonna give??

Oh well, back to kitchen refinishing. At least it's only about 6 weeks or so before car show season begins here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

We lucked out on the snow, got about an inch and now it'r raining like crazy; problem is, it's going to drop to about 9* w/o the windchill at sundown for the next few days.  bawl

Supposedly Manny Machado met with an unidentified team yesterday.....

rmk57

For those that interested there's going to be a super blood full moon tonight. Supposed to be partly cloudy in our neck of the woods so it should be worth checking out.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57imposter

I've had a very enlightening revelation. I was having coffee with a 77 year old friend who just bought a his dream car, a 34 5 window coupe. We were discussing the fact that he is driving it almost constantly since he got it. We allowed as how at his age that was a good idea as we couldn't come up with a good reason to save it. By the time I got about half way home I realized I am saving mine, for some unknown reason. When I got home, The Ford came out of the storage shed and into the garage and the Magnum went into the storage shed and I have driven the Ford almost every day since. After all the work to build the car I plan on getting as much enjoyment out of it as possible. I still can't figure out why I was ever so concerned about the next guy. 

CobraJoe

Hats off to both of you.  I have always used my vehicles; they are a lot more fun when you drive them!