News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I. I have been off for a while and this is a test to see if l'm back again.
     Rich check your email .
Jay

BP57CUSTOM

Good to see you back.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

gasman826

HRPT...end of day 6.  We watched the filming of an episode of ROADKILL.  Mike and David sold the Jeep J10 Project to a guy and they took off in the Poniac Fiero off road project.

Lou

As a guy who grew up loving cars Roadkill makes me cringe.

gasman826

Heard some interesting 427 side oiler trivia today (if true).  427 SO has a oil pressure relief in the block.  Original SO had 125 psi oil pumps with no pressure relief.  Ford was the only source for SO oil pumps.  Since all after-market oil pumps have builtin pressure reliefs, the block pressure relief is redundant and unnecessary.

CobraJoe

I was always told that the original pumps had an emergency over pressure valve set at 120-125 PSI for cold oil, and the block bypass was set at 80 PSI, although I have heard lower for NASCAR.
The guy who built my last 427 plugged it, I believe he used a metal dowel, and I never had an issue. I sold that car 6 years ago and still see it running around locally.
I don't think the aftermarket blocks utilize the block valve?
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Working on my Subaru taking care of some minor colision damage from a few years ago. When I was in Colorado last fall I saw an identical Outback in a salvage yard. Same color, same interior. My back door was dented/creased and the plastic trim was destroyed, so I bought the back door off it figuring it would be a lot quicker, and it was. From start to finish yesterday, I got the door replaced in 25 minutes. LOL.....that's about 2 days short of what it takes me to hang a '57 door. Didn't even have to remove the upholstery panel. The pearl white color matches my front door, maybe a slight tad darker. My back quarter panel (also damaged) had been repainted before I got it and always was a shade lighter. Before too long I'll have my first go around with pearl paints. Guy at the paint store told me how to do it, hope it works. I guess I had never known pearl was a 3 stage process.
I also replaced the front seat and a dash bezel from the same donor car. 9 electrical connectors on that front seat! Not too bad of a job, a few hours and it was done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich the three stage is really a base coat, a translucent second coat (tinted or not) with the pearl of choice in it and of course the clear to top things off.  My 10 F150 was a tri-coat red $310 option I could have lived without forever!  Came with the truck, (a left over) but was absolutely stunning.  Many of the new "metallic" paints are really metal flakes and pearls mixed together.  The 62 Bird I built was a mix of flakes, pearls and a little flip flop all in the base with just a clear on top.  Your Subaru has a top notch paint job on it. 

You painting the whole thing?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

No, car is really in great shape. I'm just repairing the rear quarter panel where a bandaged up young lady on meds that couldn't keep her car in her lane hit it. The guy at the paint shop told me to prep an extra piece or two of metal and use that as I'm going along to determine how many coats of pearl I'd need to match the rest of the car. I'm keeping the damaged door I have to put outside in the sun when I paint so I can match the pearl to that. It's a 14 year old car, not super critical, but I hate cars with panels that don't match. The old "as long as I'm spending the time/money to do it....."
I've got a total of about 6 square feet, but with all the plastic trim on the car, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to spray the whole side of the car if I had to. I'm for sure not expecting a perfect match in all different lighting. Just not a lot of painted area on this car, and unlike my '57, lots of places to break the new paint.

RICH MUISE

Got the dent repaired and ready for paint/primer. May do the primer later today, have to wait til next week to get reducers for the paint(already have paint and clearcoat), and fresh activator for clearcoat.
This was my first time repairing damage sheetmetal on a late model car......haha..........not too dissimilar from trying to get the wrinkles out of a crushed aluminum can. Normal metal working proceedures just don't work on this thin stuff. Couldn't get to 1/2 of the damaged area from the back as the inner wheel well was in the way, so ended up using the stud welder. So much for my hopes of a paintless dent repair, but 3 or 4 hours, a few applications of Eveready Gold, and it's ready for paint, and I now know why repair shops don't do a whole lot of actual panel repair any more. It sure makes one appreciate the heavier metals our '57s are made with.

:( I should be in Green Mountain Falls, Colorado doing a car show today instead of 104* Amarillo.

gasman826

I've noticed several of my 'snowbird' friends who enjoy mentioning how nice winter temps are in the south have silently drifted off to Michigan's UP.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2019-07-20 12:03
I've noticed several of my 'snowbird' friends who enjoy mentioning how nice winter temps are in the south have silently drifted off to Michigan's UP.

Yup, retired from the Navy down here after living (stationed) south of the Mason-Dixon for nearly 30 years.  Have/had no winter clothing, had no desire to pay the high taxes those in WI enjoy, no desire to live through the cold winters, and lastly absolutely no interest in "winter sports".  Tried all of them as a kid, only one I liked and participated in was Curling.

Now, while I do enjoy cooking Thanksgiving Day dinner in shorts and flip flops, learning how to control the sweat rolling off my arms and head is not much fun!  Have become "adapted" to the hot, muggy weather here in central AL, learned to love water and fans. 

Found this place to have the best "good-bad" ratio of all the areas I was stationed in.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

heat shovels easier than snow

Ford Blue blood

Holy Cow Bat Man....this place is the slowest I have ever seen it!  Guess everybody is out to shows or just staying tucked up nice and cool in the house. 

Think all is well with my 36, I did a 60 mile round trip car show yesterday as a "pre Nats" flight check.  Went well.  Seems as though it is fully recovered from the "tire incident".  Sure do wish the AC was working!  Going to be a warm trip!

Been body working the bed of the Ranchero.  Leaning on putting in spray-in bed liner.  I have found a couple of spray-in liners that are tintable.  Working with my paint guy to see if it can be tinted with base that has pearl and flake.  Already know I have to use the base tints but no binder.  Question is can it spray out with the pearls and small flake this color has in it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

Yes, quiet.  It's summer and there are only ten weekends to attend a years worth of events.  My mornings are incomplete without checking this site.