News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2019-10-14 11:28
I opened it, just clicked on it Great video! I get stuff off of my phone by emailing it to myself and then saving it to my desktop.
Thanks Lynn. It won't work for me, says format isn't supported so it may just be my old computer :005: The other video from in car is on the wifes phone so we are still working on it.
heres the other one from our last location
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1246zjQewJgA_PJy14YYrFmocXHT1Ry5L
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Jim...those videos are just plain cool! Love them both! So is this something that takes place on a regular basis? I see there were a lot of people out taking pics and video. Gotta love the old engines...they had a certain warmth about them. And how do they keep all the moronic graffiti jerks from messing up the cars? They all looked so pristine!

Thanks for the share!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

that is just so cool !!! thx for the videos Jim. The panoramic view cars are incredible !

hiball3985

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2019-10-14 13:04
Jim...those videos are just plain cool! Love them both! So is this something that takes place on a regular basis? I see there were a lot of people out taking pics and video. Gotta love the old engines...they had a certain warmth about them. And how do they keep all the moronic graffiti jerks from messing up the cars? They all looked so pristine!

Thanks for the share!
This probably won't happen again in this area. That engine was stored for years after it ended regular service at the Los Angeles County Fairplex in Pomona. it was donated by the Union Pacific. Five years ago the UP asked for it back so they could restore it. I was there when they moved it out of the fair grounds and then towed it back to Cheyenne  were their steam shops are, they have two other big steam engines. It went through a 5 year ground up rebuild and it has only been running a few months. It came here as a tribute to the people who cared for it over the years. All this equipment is stored securely at the Cheyenne shops. I road the train back in 1985 the last time it was here but had engine 3985 as power.
This picture is when they pulled it out of the fair grounds and headed to Cheyenne
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-10-14 16:31
that is just so cool !!! thx for the videos Jim. The panoramic view cars are incredible !
They were great cars, I rode one, the Missouri River Eagle in 1985.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-10-14 09:38
... Then on the way home I was cruising along at 95 with the wife suggesting I maybe should slow down  :005: and me trying to convince her that the speedometer just looked that way because she was viewing from an angle ....
That big old steam engine was great! I wasn't supposed to but did ride in the cab of one for 40 or 50 miles when I was little kid & my dad was a Locomotive Fireman or maybe by then a Locomotive Engineer on the Alaska Railroad.

Too bad your wife busted you for speedin'!  :075:
Years ago when I was in the service the ex & I were cruising up I-5 towards Seattle from the bay area in our 406 powered '62 Galaxie. I must have been doing about 85 or 90. She thought we were going too fast.  I says, 'no look at the speedo'.
It read about 65.
What she didn't know is that when I'd changed the gear ratio from 4:11s to something way higher so we could save some rpms & gas while we were still down there & able to cruise those big highways all up & down the coast ... I did not change the speedo cable gear to match the new gear ratio.
I just kept goin'. :003:

That was a great car & I probably got a good deal on it down there because the guy didn't like it's gas mileage. What he'd already done about it was pretty foolish. He'd pulled the triple carb setup, sold it, & put on a 4 barrel. : (
I think I paid just 35 bucks for that higher geared 9" center section at a junkyard in 1967 or '68.  When off of those freeways it was sometimes a way to high gear though.

hiball3985

Lucky you for the cab ride, I've had a few but in diesels. I've operated a diesel engine and someday hope to get to Ely Nev to run steam.
I use to change to a higher gear back in the old days when I lived on flat ground  :003: Now I live in the hills so I kept the 3.89 gears and have a T85OD trans. I'm lucky if I find an actual open stretch once a year and still don't know what the top speed is, I always end up catching a car ahead  :005:
What was funny or maybe sad but when I slowed down to about 80 some old lady in a Toyota drove around me...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-10-15 07:39...when I slowed down to about 80 some old lady in a Toyota drove around me...
Hmm ... I wonder if she was from Pasadena & drove a Mopar many years ago.

hiball3985

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-10-15 08:04
Hmm ... I wonder if she was from Pasadena & drove a Mopar many years ago.

Could be, but now everyone here drives 80+
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Thor

FYI all,
I don't know if this has been posted before. Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy is actually on tour. List of dates and location of stops on their website (link below). It should be leaving Yuma AZ tomorrow morning. It will be going through Kansas Nov. 17 - 22.   

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

RICH MUISE

Sure is making a big circle around Amarillo! Nearest point to me looks about 5 hr drive. Thanks for posting that, Thor. How's everything up in Kansas?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-10-16 07:18
Sure is making a big circle around Amarillo! Nearest point to me looks about 5 hr drive. Thanks for posting that, Thor. How's everything up in Kansas?
5 hr drive in a 57 is a piece of cake :003: I was lucky only a little over a 100 miles for me across the desert route.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

fdlrc

Great info. I plan on meeting up with it at Kit Carson Colorado on Nov. 23rd. I can follow it for 45 miles as the tracks, run right next to highway 287. I probably wouldn't have know about it if you didn't post it.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

hiball3985

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-10-16 18:39
Great info. I plan on meeting up with it at Kit Carson Colorado on Nov. 23rd. I can follow it for 45 miles as the tracks, run right next to highway 287. I probably wouldn't have know about it if you didn't post it.
Good luck, I hope you have open road and not many spectators.
Running parallel to the tracks on Route 66 between Barstow and Victorville we 100+ cars chasing it  :005:. Trying to get ahead of that mess for our second video took so major wheel work and 57 horse power  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I was wondering about that...gotta be real careful to make sure some lookieloo's heading the opposite direction don't drive head on into you..... or you into them for that matter.... Lots of cars being distracted from what's in front of them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe