News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

alltime favorite, John Fogerty &CCR. it's so great how they start off at 1:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrj5Kxdzouc

hiball3985

I always liked CCR. Saw them at the Hollywood bowl back in 69 or 70..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

hiball3985

Everyone has their own favorites and styles of music. I remember the first big concert I went to and the opening band was CTA who later renamed as Chicago. When they walked on stage and people saw all the brass they started booing and some walked out, I thought they were awesome  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-11-13 18:55
Everyone has their own favorites and styles of music. I remember the first big concert I went to and the opening band was CTA who later renamed as Chicago. When they walked on stage and people saw all the brass they started booing and some walked out, I thought they were awesome  :003:

Anyone who would boo CTA (Chicago) has no taste...probably none in their mouth either. SHEESH! Idiots...probably think (c)rap is music too!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-11-13 08:57... My first contact with RnR I clearly remember, probably 5 or 6 yrs old in the 1970s was watching Elvis in the Acapulco movie and listening to Bill Haley's See you later alligator on one of my fathers tapes.
In the 1970s?! Oh, you kids! ; )
First time I saw Elvis on TV was probably 1954 or '55. I'd have been 9 or 10.
Walked into the room & there was this guy on TV that seemed to be doing something quite different from what I'd usually heard or seen in the movies.  I believe that this was on 'The Tommy Dorsey show'. I started watching this guy & about 30 seconds later the 'ol man showed up & either turned off the TV or changed the channel.
We only had one or two TV stations here back then.
It took several years before I even learned the name of the guy I'd seen on TV or heard his music on the radio. 
Elvis was 'The King' for quite some time but had lost a lot of his appeal by the '70s.  I still like some of his early stuff.
I've been a big fan of Rock & Roll from the time it started & got named as such.
I think I'd start off by naming the best early rockers with one that many would not consider to be a Rock & Roll guy. That musical genius, Ray Charles. But then consider songs like 'Hit the Road Jack', 'I got a Woman', 'Busted', & maybe a couple others, they do indeed rock. I don't think you can find anything that Ray Charles ever did that isn't great.
Then you have Chuck Berry, a guy that every successful Rock band or singer that ever lived will claim as a being a major influence. There are many more that were and are still great.
Unless I'm watching TV or sleeping the radio is always on in my house.  I still hear at least one tune everyday by 'The Greatest Rock & Roll band in the world', The Rolling Stones.
Some of their tunes they play on the radio are over 50 years old & are still just as good as when they first came out.

I'd guess that most of you are familiar with the tune 'Hot Rod Lincoln' but wonder how many know how that tune came to be. It was influenced by a tune that came out 5 years before 'Hot Rod Lincoln' & is kind of a country soundin' thing.
Hint: It's a song about a Ford, a Mercury, & finally 'a hopped up model A' that I used to hear it on the radio when I was a real little kid.  I liked it.
I'll hit you up with that tune a bit later.  8)

mustang6984

Louis Jordan was probably one of the best known fathers of R & R...and one can still hear his stuff on Jazz24.org or the mother station KNKX.org.
Fats Domino was another early member of the founders along with a lot of others who have long since faded away from my memory.
You have 10 years on me in age...but by the time I was 10 I was already addicted to the music. Like you...unless the TV is on...I have a radio on or my computer is on to one of the above.
Between albums and CD's I have pretty much everything Elvis ever put out. I have, on custom built racks/shelves in my garage catalogued and alphabetized over 3200 albums, some have never been opened. Only place to put them in this cracker-box we live in now...but my next (and last) home will have a place for them inside...along with my stereo and broadcast quality turntable. Of those 3200 vinyl music discs, 1800+ are country, the rest is broken up into 50's & 60's rock jazz and swing with some old era Christmas music and Broadway show tunes. Yea..I am a music addict. Guilty as charged.
Garbage that is made today isn't worth listening too...even the country music world sucks eggs today. And I used to work in Country radio. Last station I worked for was sold to a Spanish satellite radio broadcast company back in '05. I wouldn't be able to play the garbage they put out today. Sad.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-11-13 14:49
talking about Rock songs, and this isn't even a Rock song.
Not a rock song?  It always sounded like a rocker to me.

Tom S

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-11-13 18:04
I always liked CCR. Saw them at the Hollywood bowl back in 69 or 70..
Then, like me, you'll probably like this one. It's from an album named 'The Blue Ridge Rangers' or just 'Blue Ridge Rangers' & John Fogerty plays all the instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bt3bmnsPY

djfordmanjack

That is a great song, Tom. Fogerty at full blast. such a cool voice and trademark delay on guitar intro. Here's another one from the 80s.
Traveling Wilburys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4s1KVJaVA

Quotetalking about Rock songs, and this isn't even a Rock song.
QuoteNot a rock song?  It always sounded like a rocker to me.

yeah that is exactly what I meant Tom, it is probably not a late 1960s rock song. I like to think of it as rocknroll .

djfordmanjack

would love to comment on all your statements, Tom and Hugh, but seems impossible, or we have to write a book... :002:
yeah, Ray Charles...where do we start...just as good as it gets,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTruv-lVoLk

Fats Domino, well, Chuck Berry...saw him 3 times live...the ultimate RocknRoller. I want to have Roll over Beethoven played at my own funeral!
Elvis...wow... I still find it amazing that a country kid would want to record this cool Arthur Crudup song back in 1954 !

Frankly speaking,  the original rocks even better then Presley. :003:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHQUvCkV20

And here's Jordans Moes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaUqLrfEMU

hiball3985

Thank god for the old music, I agree with everyone, todays music is crap and I can't imagine what the future will be like  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

that is right. I cannot picture where it should be going to. The electronic/generic pop music sounds the same as it did 25 yrs ago. there is no evolution ( at least none that I personally could figure). BUT. I see a growing interest with younger people for authentic analog music. Jazz is coming back and also bands like The Petersens aso, are bringing back REAL music. Not necessarily played exactly in a traditional way or form. It is not simply repeating (music) history. I think there are millions of ways to still take RocknRoll, Jazz, Blues, country or folk music further for decades or centuries.

RICH MUISE

Haha, history repeating itself..........we're all sounding like our dads way back when.
I like alot of what's been mentioned, but I'll throw some different names out there. Harry Chapin is one of my all time favorites. Not a great voice, but a great storyteller and singer. Prettiest voice ever imho goes to KD Lang. Wish I knew more about Issy Kamakasiwioli (sp) when he was alive. Michael Jackson.....a genius on many levels. You just have to not look beyond what you saw on stage.

Not to get off the subject, but I took the '57 out for a road trip thru parts of Oklahoma this week. Ran like a champ. Pics to follow. 500+ miles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Great news Rich, I love hearing about 57's burning up the asphalt  :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang