News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

True. When we were young, if a car had a 100K on it, you bought it for peanuts and used it for a winter beater and kept the nice car in the garage!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

rmk57

My go to cars for winter beaters were always Galaxies, 1965 to early 70's. They were very solid, full framed, 9 inch axle coupled with a 289-302-351-390 they seemed to go forever. I never paid more than $200-300 for one that was parked up in someones back yard that they wanted to get rid of anyways. One of my favorites was a 66 Country Squire wagon. drove it for almost a year with no reverse gear, had to be careful how and where you parked. 
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Bet you wished you had some of those "beater Galaxies" now! I would love to have one!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Against my better judgement, I'm taking a longer roadtrip, probably overnight. Probably stay in Texas, but may come home thru Oklahoma, staying on the main interstates.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Spousal distancing yesterday......put 740 miles on my dd. interesting observations...........things almost seemed normal out on the highways, traffic, etc. I passed a tow truck loading a car, and the car's driver appeared to be inside the tow truck cab. That's probably up to individual tow truck drivers, but something I've worried about on my occasional road trip.getting my car towed ok, but me stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. I filled up in Gainsville @1.14 gal! Almost as many Texas cars on i35 in OK as OK cars.
At a rest area in Tx., I asked someone with Washington plates on their car if they had any problems with law enforcement on their drive. None whatsoever, and no problems with rest areas or bathrooms in larger gas stations.

CobraJoe

Nice Rich, that's a good long drive.  :003:
$1.14 ain't too shabby either, haven't seen those prices since the early 80's.

On another note, had a "present" waiting for me in my garage when I got out of work Friday:

Changed my clothes and got the wheels off and loaded them into my truck. I have a guy who is going to mount & balance them for @ 07:00 saturday am.

Got there bright and early and they got them done ASAP for me. He has several Hot Rods and had a cool nose from a '37 Ford Police car mounted, complete with flashing lights, in his shop:

Got back home and put them on and went for a ride. It was only to my buddies house to work on his '57 $hevy, but hey, it was still a ride and it felt damn good.

Almost forget to clean the blue off of the WWW.
Hope to get the Fairlane out next weekend, weather permitting.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

mustang6984

Nice Joe. Good to see that baby back where it belongs...on the road! OH YEA! I have a tire machine too...but...it's 3000 miles away from ya. Dang! Enjoy the runs around the neighborhood!   :003:

Rich...good to hear about the folks from WA. Guess that means I can tell that deck to shut up and head that way...get that thing done. :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Thanks Hugh, he has a tire machine that doesn't touch the rim and I really didn't want to damage the paint on my wheels. The main reason I went 40 miles to see him, was that he has a machined aluminum plate that the ford wheels bolt to so they can be balanced on a high speed tire balancer.

Remember, the 39 has open center rims:

mustang6984

Ah yes! I forgot about the open rims. If all we had to worry about was paint...I have ways learned from my Firestone and gas station days of dealing with that. Kinda hard on shop rags or old bath towels...but the rims come out looking fine!
Just glad you got it back where it belongs! I fund I now have a serious excuse to come to Massachusetts! I wanna shoot pics of that ride...and of course talk you into a ride! LOL!!! I know...we could ride over to Factory Five! Yea...that's the ticket!  :wav:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Come on down...... :occasion14:

CobraJoe

Sorry, that post should have gone under "Old Ford Pics"   
DAMN YOU JACK DANIELS!!!!  :sign12:

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-04-26 18:05
Sorry, that post should have gone under "Old Ford Pics"   
DAMN YOU JACK DANIELS!!!!  :sign12:

I am feeling some of that Southern Comfort myself... :005:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Another interesting about face in the virus information. On the internet today is an article about how scientists are baffled by the much lower infection rate amoung smokers. I'm certainly not advocating smoking, but I questioned the first reports of smokers being the highest risk. My reason for that is I've been convinced for years that smoking kills normal "bugs" like colds, flu, etc. I almost have never had those in my lifetime. The one exception to that was the year and a half I quit smoking 30 years ago. I was constantly coming down with stuff one right after the other.
About that same time, George Burns was on the Johnny Carson show one night, and Johnny asked him what contributed to his good health all these years. His reply.......a good cigar every day. Kills the germs. He went on to say no joke, he seriously believed that.
So do I, it's just the other crap it causes.... like my breathing problems. I think it would be a relatively easy test for the scientists to test the effect of cigarette smoke on the virus instead of being baffled by the numbers.

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-04-28 20:49
Another interesting about face in the virus information. On the internet today is an article about how scientists are baffled by the much lower infection rate amoung smokers.

So maybe those little covid-19 virus monsters won't be able to penetrate the the thick black layer in my lungs? Must look like the inside of a coal mine in there.
Well, I'm sure not counting on it even though that I've claimed, tongue in cheek, that no self respecting germ would want to live in this body.
I will continue to be very, very careful.

mustang6984

Remember...cigars are nowhere near as bad as cigarettes for your health...same with pipe smoking, just saying... :-\
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker