News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Back in '09 I did Mustangs Across America, which ended in Birmingham AL at Barber Raceway. There was a large layout of booths with all sorts of things for sale. One booth had a single engine in it...a 427...priced then for $10k. Nope...did not have the jingle in my jeans to free it from the captivity of that booth...but I do think about it now and then!  :003: Would have made a great discussion piece in my living room until the day I had something to put it in!  :002:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

My first 427 was an early low riser, center oiler.  It was late 1970 and my '69 Mach I had just coughed another engine.  I bought it from under a bench in a Dodge dealership.  It had been in a used, auction Cougar and it was too radical to sell so they put a stock 390 in the Cougar.  All I heard was 'it was too radical to sell' and I wanted it.  I pulled it out from under the bench to see through the half inch of shop dust a FE with 2x4s, aluminum Cobra air cleaner, Mallory distributor, Mickey Thompson valve covers, deep oil pan, big tube Hookers, and a 9" center with TracLok and 4.56 gears...the get it out of here price was $500.  Not much money but for an irresponsible 18 year old who just drew a really low number in the draft lottery, it was a lot.  I borrowed it from my sister with a promise to pay it back with my tax refund (which I did).  I knew the 428 and 427 had the same outside dimensions so the swap should be cake.  The headers were a nightmare but I wouldn't even consider not using them.  IT was radical!!  Within a month, I blew it up.  Ten days later, I was on a bus heading for basic at Fort Knox. 

djfordmanjack

that is a stunning pic ! great motor, Schiefer parts, Pepsi Cola and an AC oil filter.... :003: never mind a little coolant or oil on the floor. Just great, Gary ! :001:

Rich, I did a little tinkering on the Linc. Friend of mine sold me some 50 Ford Shoebox backup lights. couldn't help, they are the basic same 4 finned design like the Lincoln headlight bezels. doesn't look quite finished yet with the 52 ch*** rear bumper. Another friend of mine will be bringing a 55 Buick grille bar. and will be collecting a 50 Buick rear bumper soon. collecting ideas.

djfordmanjack

Here's a sweet 1968 country song !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cEs3ljsKE
Only Mama That'll Walk the Line-Connie Smith

and another 68 gem, you never know. Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, the Bluegrass kings of the 1950s, covering Bob Dylan !!!!
In my mind it doesn't get any better than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UO5Ln2fML0
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

if some of you guys are more into folk music, here is the og version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8SRE97NrM

CobraJoe

I still have a pair of 427's, a 390, a 351W and a couple of 351 Cleveland's in my shop; not sure what I am going to do with them these days.....
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Gunter.....Gary was at our Saturday night gettogether with the Lincoln last night, but I forgot my iphone home!! Probably doesn't matter, the back end as you suggested is stock.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: gasman826 on 2020-06-14 16:08
My first 427 was an early low riser, center oiler.  It was late 1970 and my '69 Mach I had just coughed another engine.  I bought it from under a bench in a Dodge dealership.  IT was radical!!  Within a month, I blew it up.  Ten days later, I was on a bus heading for basic at Fort Knox.

So...what happened to the car? Ya left the story unfinished!  :-\
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-06-14 17:13
I still have a pair of 427's, a 390, a 351W and a couple of 351 Cleveland's in my shop; not sure what I am going to do with them these days.....

Gee...there is this guy in MA that has a company...makes '33 Fords and '34 I believe it is trucks. There goes the two Cleveland engines. Then of course he has these Cobra and Daytona replicas too...I'm thinking W in the Daytona, 427 in the Cobra.  That should keep you busy for at least all of next winter... :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Thank you Rich, maybe next time. yes, many customized Lincolns have their factory rear bumper in place. They are beautiful, also the taillights. I still have the bumper but no taillights. I am thinking of 54 Mercury lights, they are also readily available. The rearend would lend itself well for a roll pan like you incorporated on your 57. It always makes the rearend look sleek and streamlined. Maybe I'll just narrow the bumper a little.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-06-14 19:39
Gunter.....Gary was at our Saturday night gettogether with the Lincoln last night, but I forgot my iphone home!! Probably doesn't matter, the back end as you suggested is stock.

gasman826

The Mustang was put up on blocks, covered, battery removed, and filled with mothballs in my grandmother's barn.  When I got home, I worked two jobs.  One pay check went into the engine as I learned FE stuff, four bolt mains, Jahns 13.0 forged pistons, and a cam with Ford part number etched on the end.  Pretty much a rebuild and balance but added a pair of Holley 660s, Lakewood, and Shaffer clutch.  Ran great.  Life got in the way.  Sold the engine off to replace with a junk yard, stock 351C (buyer still has it today).  Got married and drove the Mustang for about a year.  I was working construction and 2x4s just didn't fit in the trunk so I sold it to buy a pickup.  Within a year, I was working as a mechanic again and did an alignment.  Never saw it again.  Shortly after, bought my first project car.

CobraJoe

Sadly, I think we all have at least one of those stories in our past. When I was 24, I owned 13 Mustang fastbacks, 1965-1970, all at the same time. At 24, I got engaged and figured it was time to grow up, I sold all of them. Fast forward 14 years, the wife was gone...I should have kept the phuckin cars and got rid of here.   :iamwithstupid:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

mustang6984

I was single for 20 years before marrying. We were hurtin' for money...and she was after me to sell one of my '57's or the '69 FB. I refused. I told her that selling them was NOT going to happen, was NOT going to fix our money problems and that I had been much worse off in my past financially and had managed to retain them and  that this was not going to be a topic of discussion every time we had money issues. I told her that in fact, this was NOT going to be a topic of discussion ever again!
We have had money problems again over the years...but that has NOT been discussed again. I told her I had owned those cars LONG before I had ever thought of marrying, and longer than I had known her, and they were going no where. Been married 29 years this next month.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

sounds like a good strategy , Hugh !  :003:

RICH MUISE

Since I couldn't make it to Florida this spring, my son is on his way here. Just under 1500 miles, he'll be here sometime Friday. We both needed this........last time we saw each other was 2004. He's in the remodelling business in Tampa, we may try to get him to stay long enough to remodel a bathroom. Anyway, I'm so looking forward to this, and if he isn't too sick of the road, I'm gonna see if he wants to do a 2 or 3 day roadtrip in the '57.
He hasn't seen the car since it was a red and white 6 cyl. rust bucket sitting in my Colorado driveway.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-06-17 17:07
Since I couldn't make it to Florida this spring, my son is on his way here. Just under 1500 miles, he'll be here sometime Friday. We both needed this........last time we saw each other was 2004. He's in the remodelling business in Tampa, we may try to get him to stay long enough to remodel a bathroom. Anyway, I'm so looking forward to this, and if he isn't too sick of the road, I'm gonna see if he wants to do a 2 or 3 day roadtrip in the '57.
He hasn't seen the car since it was a red and white 6 cyl. rust bucket sitting in my Colorado driveway.

Good for you Rich, sounds like a real good time, well, other than him having to remodel your bathroom....  :-[

I hope your son realizes that these times don't last for ever, I miss my dad every single day, so this Sunday, Raise A Glass To The Man Who Raised You!