News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Grizzle

I'm still new to this and have been working on my 57's. My Custom 300 I've been looking for a set of seat covers. Would like the original design but haven't found any yet. Would also like to find a black floor mat that covers the floor. Want to keep it as original as possible. Haven't located any as of yet. Also got to get all the seals put in my Country Sedans transmission and I will have it on the road. If someone knows where I can find this stuff please send it to me.

RICH MUISE

Back a few years ago, one of the main suppliers (forgot the name) for oem upholstery stuff went out of business. As far as carpeting, that should be easy. First place I'd check for everything is Automotive interiors in Mass. They're in our list of suppliers. Good luck!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

I checked my bushings today when I was under the car. What is protruding out a bit on the ends is in nice shape.....no cracks at all.
I finally got the lower radiator hose put on. I changed the configuration a bit which made it a whole lot easier to assemble. As luck would have it, my car wouldn't start. The Optima battery in it is 6 years old and gave me no trouble at all, but I think it shorted out when I drowned everything under the hood with coolant. It wouldn't take a full charge, but at 80% the starter just clicked. After 6 years, I was probably due for a new one, so that's what I did. The car kicked right over with the new battery. I 'm so glad it wasn't a starter solenoid issue.
If it wasn't raining cats and dogs, I'd be out testing the steering. Btw, we had another hail damaging storm Saturday....got all 3 dd cars again.

djfordmanjack

Richard,
a black oem style rubber floormat is available from Obsolete/Classic Auto Parts OK

https://www.classicautopartsonlinecatalog.com/Fullsize-Ford-and-Mercury/267/

I have not bought that yet, but it looks ok.

As far as seat covers, the only company providing correct  material for our cars is SMS Oregon.

https://smsautofabrics.com/

I have ordered cloth and vinyl samples for my 57 and the material is absolutely spot on, but the company is said to have very long delivery times ( rare stuff is made on order) and pretty expensive. You need to get in touch with them and work that out.
Hope this helps, Guenter.

Quote from: Richard Grizzle on 2021-05-18 18:29
I'm still new to this and have been working on my 57's. My Custom 300 I've been looking for a set of seat covers. Would like the original design but haven't found any yet. Would also like to find a black floor mat that covers the floor. Want to keep it as original as possible. Haven't located any as of yet. Also got to get all the seals put in my Country Sedans transmission and I will have it on the road. If someone knows where I can find this stuff please send it to me.

djfordmanjack

Rich, it is also raining cats and dogs over here on and off. should be bright and 80 degrees, but it's wet and 55-60 instead. its horrible. Usually May is the most steady and neat month over here. so far we've had like 2-3 sunny and dry days, which I have been working. No use getting any of my collector cars out. and nowhere to go. Today the 'official' lockdown gets suspended, but who knows for how long. its still masks, testing, vaccs and all required and limited number of people for gatherings is 10. Doesn't sound like ok to meet with some car guys and having BBQ.
On a brighter side, my dancing partner and I agreed to meet for (private) social dancing practice again. we had suspended training for 6 months. She was also very concerned about her grandmother who has since got her vacc shot, same with my parents.

lalessi1

Rain? It is raining horses and cows here! Yesterday we had over 12" of rain in less than 6 hours. the water got to within 2" of coming through my front door.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

That's too close for comfort, Lynn. Not sure what the forecast is for the next few days here, I'm afraid to look.
Gunter.......dancing partner? That got me to realizing or thinking you never mentioned anything about a wife that I can remember.....probably for a good reason. Just my 2 cents, but I think they've loosened things up a little too much here. Some shows are happening, but some still are not. I think mostly because of the amount of work/planning that goes into them, they had to make early decisions. I did just get a notice from Goodguys that they are having another show in Fort Worth June 4-6. This is a new one, so there now will be three a year at the Texas motor speedway.

djfordmanjack

I just heard that the reproduction floormat isn't that great, it is said to have some blemishes, probably from where an original mat was used for patterns. maybe some other brand same year mats can be used ? I heard that too. Not giving names.  :003:

Rich. Just talking about a social dancing partner. which is a lot of fun and also kind a sports or at least some physical training (all our gyms and public swimming areas are still locked down). it's als good entertainment, dancing to 1930s, 40s and 50s music.
I also have an ex and we have a son and I really don't talk about that much, because it is what it is and was long time ago and comes with all the trouble that we know and hear about. (My 14yo son is great though and we see each other often and working on his first car together, a 1954 sunroof beetle).
These days in my age we better stay away from relationships or matrimony. Because the ladies around my age group are not the same as ladies in your age. its like with the far east rubber bushings. they do look good at first glance and work for a while, but fade away very quickly these days ( I am not talking about looks, but about keeper qualities). times and people have really changed a lot. Pretty disappointing. I'll stop here before I am getting too political or religious for this board. :002:    ...MGTOW...

RICH MUISE

Single....no wonder you're always so upbeat!  :002: The right one will come along when you least expect it. I've met quite a few of the forum members better halves, and I must say we've got a lot of lucky guys here, including me.
I did take my '57 out for a 60 mile drive today to check the radiator hose. Didn't have a chance to check the steering, as I need to do that on a constant highway with rest areas. Still trying to decide whether or not to take my rt fender off to fix a heater hose leak.
There's another Goodguys show coming up June 4-6 at the Texas motor speedway. This year they've added a third annual car show there. Not sure if I'll do it, as I want to do the Red River, NM car show later that month.

alvin stadel

dj, hang in there. My wife retired this spring and all of a sudden our house and my shop got a lot smaller. I guess it is a part of life. I am thinking it could be a long summer.

mustang6984

Ditto...although...while the house got smaller...I refuse to allow ANY household stuff to make it's way into my shop. But then...I am mean...no apologies. shops...are for cars!   8)
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Well we had another nice, cold and windy day....so I was down in the basement shop. Using my quality tools.
Must have come from the rubber bushing factory. Brand name is Bubble Gum Inc Un-Ltd. Adress: Eastern East St., Eastern Junkyard. Second one after the tin can recycling dump. boy....I am mad....

gasman826

The press is assembled backwards.  The upright channels should face (web) inwards.

djfordmanjack

It came that way and the mount for the hand pump can only be bolted on this way.
Would the strain in the material even be different, Gary? if it broke with the U channel facing the otherway around, it just would have bowed inwards with no different effect in the weak areas? imho it is clearly a design flaw, with the holes too close to the edge and obviously cheap, low grade material. you should see the crack extending into the flat section of the U channel. I don't have an pics of that. But it looks like a tin foil cut with shears.

djfordmanjack

Shouldn't have searched. Now I want THIS !!!!!! :003:

In addition to finding one under $2k, how am I gonna have it shipped overseas and where am I going to put this ?:005:

I can't believe it, guys, check the manufacturing date on the spec plate ! March -57 - same as my 57 Country Sedan !

this is the first press that showed up in my search. sometimes I wonder....