News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

We're getting our first snow of the season today. It's the first measurable precipitation we've had in 4 or 5 months. This won't get more than 3 or 4 inches, we could sure use the moisture.
My '57 is going into a shop next Wed. for the rear axle seals/bearings. I spent all January trying to get the shop that built the rear end to answer my phone calls..........not sure what's going on there. He's the one that knows what the bearing are. The new shop is the guy that my old shop recommended "if I was in a hurry". We're back to square one though. He's got to pull it apart, to figure out what's in there for bearings. He's got the room to let it sit for a week or so waiting for bearings, if any longer, he'll put it back together. It'll be nice getting that leak fixed so I can get my rear discs/E-brake strainghtened out for my NSRA Safety-23 inspection.
I'm going to try and do another long road trip in late March. On my bucket list is the Pavilion cruise in Phoenix. Goodguys show is in March there, a few weeks after the DFW show. Mileage should be about 1/2 what it was when I went to Florida......720 miles from here to Phoenix. My friend in Naples that I visited last year was 1440 miles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Fairlane62

Rich,
I saw that the snow had hit Amarillo, its headed our way but only supposed to be about 1" by the time it gets here.
Hope you get the rear end fixed soon.

James

RICH MUISE

we got about 3 or 4 inches...looks like it's done.
The issue with the rear bearings is more annoying than anything else............just a leak, bearings themselves are actually fine, so doesn't keep me from going anywhere. Only thing that's not working are my e-brakes, possibly from the 90w fluid getting on the pads, so not much sense in working on the brakes til I get the leak taken care of. I did check with speedway, and asked them if what I heard about bearings being one of the items on the short-supply list was true. She looked at their listings of axle bearings and confirmed it looked like availability was spotty, depending on which bearings I needed.
When I find out what I have, I'll make a notation in my build book so I'll know in the future. It's big bearing, heavy duty 31 spline axles, so one would think it would be standard, but months ago when I first talked to the guy that built it for me, he said the only way to know for sure what he put in it was to take it apart.......so maybe a possibility of "not so standard".? I don't know. The shop that built it specializes in high end racing car builds, so maybe I got something unique.?

Fairlane62

As I recall, some of the 31 spline had sealed ball bearings and some had a tapered bearing, so he's probably right, that the only way to know for sure is to pull it apart.

RICH MUISE

Mine are tappered with a seperate seal.........there apparently just seems to be questions about sizes.

CobraJoe

They're talking 12"-16" for us Friday night into Saturday.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Gee Joe...Friday and Saturday here will shorts and t-shirt weather comparatively...40* and 50* respectively. Son and I are going to the I-Max theater Friday to watch the new Spiderman movie and eat popcorn. Your welcome to come along. no snow here.   :003:   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Look!
Our forecast has improved...

...for the worse! 24"-30" now

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Leaving in an hour for the movie...you comin'?  LOL!!!   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I'm guessing that beautiful Bronco is gonna look like hell in a few days. I think if I were you, I'd plow all my neighbor's driveways except for one. Be safe.....I hope you and Jay don't lose power.
Hugh, never in my life have I been to a movie theater in the daytime......something about that just doesn't seem right, lol.

abe_lugo

Got you guys beat.  Visiting the folks in MN.   Arrived to a heatwave 20 degrees.   But now it's -8 this morning.  Only visiting a few more days.  We do Have a short adventure ahead after that.  More to come.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

Rich...it's great...much less people to deal with. Sometimes cheaper. Popcorn is fresh. And I still get to be home before dinner!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-01-28 10:35
Rich...it's great...much less people to deal with. Sometimes cheaper. Popcorn is fresh. And I still get to be home before dinner!

Hugh I couldn't agree more with you on that.  I will also add there are no obnoxious teens making an a$$ of them selves there!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Same here, we go to the matinees. Same with going out to eat, which we don't do often but we go early. I can't stand the noise level of a packed restaurant. Why can't people just shut up and eat  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Ditto on restaurants. There are some I just don't go to anymore...Outback being one. Music is is way too loud...and the other noises from within are just deafening...making it impossible to hold a conversation. Overpriced too anyhow. I find as I get older...I like my peace and quiet more.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker