News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Summer 2011- the project between here and there.

Started by Lono, 2010-09-01 17:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Nice shop Lono...Love that Deuce grille on the wall....I need one of those....well, and the rest of the Deuce that it would fit.  Make mine a roadster, red please.
Coming along nicely on the wagon.  Hopefully, if all works out with the contract at work, I'll be pulling mine out of mothballs again, and getting it soda blasted, replacing the crappy replacement panel (stay away from Schotts panels, bad stuff..) with an EMS quarter, and getting the rest of the body done so I can get some color back on it.  Still going back and forth between white and red/white, not sure yet.  Seems almost all of them are red and white, but it just looks so good...
Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lono

Yep, red and whites a good thing.

Still waiting for my motor so I pulled the old girl out. It's going to head up country to Ford_Fellow for one of his projects.

Sure hope to get that truck here soon... getting antsy.

popped the hood off....

Pulled the motor and tranny..

Started scraping and wire wheeling all the mung off..

Sanded and semi glossed the inner fenders and cross member.

\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

Lono

second coat. Now it needs a big blue blob in the middle to break up all that black.  :002:

Lono

Painted the underside of the hood today.

In mid stream i remembered i forgot to take off the rubbers...
tomorrow... a little wet sand and touch up.

Lono

With the motor sitting firmly in the well, I'm standing back looking at it.

She aint purdy, but she's sturdy.

I guess I'll drop some t bird valve covers on it, an old oil bath air cleaner and rebuild the stock carb. that should be enough to take away a little of the uglies without killing the budget.

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

Lono

started putting the motor back together in the hole.

I have to make some new mounts for the truck rad to get it to fit, but thats small potatos.
Hooked up some hoses, jacked it up and nutted down the motor mounts.

The term "just puttering around" seems to fit.

It's been an easy stitch putting this motor/ tranny in. The only thing I found is I couldn't find a tranny mount that was plug and play. I'm sure they're out there, I just didnt find one..
The tranny mounts to the rubber/steel mount which then mounts into the crossbrace saddle. The old one didnt fit and truck mount didnt fit so it's time to play.

The holes on the tranny are 5.5 inches.

I took the mounting bracket off the 57/ 3 speed overdrive and cut it in half (the hole spacing is 6.5)

After assuring I had good pinion angle my idea was to weld the 74 truck motor mount to the 57 tranny mount.

After tacking them in place, I had another look. All clear and good fitment.
A single hole was drilled in the center of the cross member to accomodate the single bolt of the truck motor mount.

Upon close inspection, I also discovered the drive shaft will not need shortening/ lengthend.. its, just right.

nice way to spend Thanksgiving ( aka Columbus day)

57ragtop

Keep the pictures coming as work proceeds. Think you got a real winner there.  John

canadian_ranchero

that 74 trans mount looks like a 74 truck motor mount to me

Lono

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-10-11 10:36
that 74 trans mount looks like a 74 truck motor mount to me

oops. :dumbass:

Lono

Lono

I love when goodies come in the mail!

I can see pulling the motor later on for a real rebuild but for now it almost looks..... okay.

Now the three are one.

Lono

Finally, back in the shop for the best part of the day! This working full time concept really throws a wrench into reality.

I pulled the intake out of the box and dunked it in a very large vat of degreaser and let it sit for a couple hours. Then came out and scrubbed like hell redunked and scrubbed more. It came out nice and clean after about 2 hours of toothbrush, steel wool and other scrubby thing attention.

Out popped the carb from another box. After a lite blast of aluminum paint and a coat of clear, the carb dropped into place for a little look see.

From box number 4, the roof rack came out. 5 roof strips in all. I think I'll shave about 2 inches off its full length before I install it for good. It's fomoco but i dotn know what year. I'm guessing mid 70's.

Was a good day. Wont be back out there for another week... urgh!

Lono

Been a while since I posted. Been crazy busy at work and on Friday I retire once and for all with plenty of shop time ahead of me.

I finnished installing the motor and intake and the hood back on. Now I need to find a proper rad to fit.

I found a nifty early 70's roof rack thats a sweet fit too.

The floors were not too bad but required some patching under the drivers, passengers and rear passenger sides.
With that done I can turn to the brakes.

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself but starting to think about colors too. I'm leaning towards a satin finnish something like this...

Hope you all been well. Its been a long winter up here nd still more snow to come!

Lono

Finally got back at it and sure glad I did.

Next week, attack the interior, then the brakes and finally wiring ( I hate wiring)