News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Summer 2011- the project between here and there.

Started by Lono, 2010-09-01 17:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Fred..you get stuff done faster than I can even think about it. Love the lines on that wagon..Is that black primer or black suede? Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lono

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-07-02 06:48
Fred..you get stuff done faster than I can even think about it. Love the lines on that wagon..Is that black primer or black suede? Rich

thanks guys, Rich I shot it in SEM Trim Black - they package it as Hot Rod black. Back in the 80's I worked at a chevrolet dealer body shop and we used it for shooting the hoods of school buses. Its a 2 part top coat and stands up very well and can be blended over or painted over in the future.
\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

JPotter57

That wagon has come a long way in a year....great work lono...glad you didnt sell it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Limey57

Looks lovelly!  Question(s):

What size wheels & tyres are you running?
How do you stop the smoothies from rusting?  I had a brand new set that rusted sitting int the garage!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Lono

I had the steels on the Ranchero for about 2 months an really didnt put a lot of mile on. they're holding up fine. Could be the dry climate we live in.

Turned to working on the interior. There's no room in the budget for repro interiors so made my own panels and installed red interior panels. The front seat is shameful so hidden under the medican blankets until I can have it redone, which will be done before it hits the road.

As for the headliner, I know that's not a happy thing so it's going to wait for a trip to an interior shop.

hogwagon

Is that a Yeoman or Biscayne wagon in the shop? Has to be rarer than the cars we are working on. I think you have to be at least 60 years old to know what it is.

JimNolan

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Yeoman? and I'm over 60. Looks like a '58 Biscayne to me..can't tell if it's a 2 dr or 4dr. Rich

JPotter57

I'm with Jim and Rich, I think its a `58 Chev, looks like a wagon.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Lono

I'm 49 and remember seeing a yeoman in 65.
It's a 2 door 58 Yeoman with a running 235 / 3 speed. I'm doing teh brakes right now and should have it on the road next week.

Lets say I've developed a thing for long roofs.  :burnout:

the hot rod use to be a $200, 1934 4 door plymouth... now its a.. you guessed it a Long Roof Sedan Delivery.

RICH MUISE

Lono..that's an awesome setup you have with that garage..I know any of us into the 50's cars are just drooling over it. The only thing missing are a few scantily clad women runnig around....and even though I can't see it in the pics, I have enough Canadian relatives to know there's a beer frig there somewhere close.
By the way, what is a Yeoman..is that the Canadian version of the Biscayne?  Rich

Lono

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-07-14 08:23
Lono..that's an awesome setup you have with that garage..I know any of us into the 50's cars are just drooling over it. The only thing missing are a few scantily clad women runnig around....and even though I can't see it in the pics, I have enough Canadian relatives to know there's a beer frig there somewhere close.
By the way, what is a Yeoman..is that the Canadian version of the Biscayne?  Rich
Thanks Rich but sorry no naked women or beer fridge in the shop; I promised the wife.

The Yeoman is a one year wonder, produced in the US.
The Yeoman came in a 2 or 4 door model, 6 or 8 cylinder with multiple interior trim options.
58 was the Year chev remixed their product line.

In 55-57 there were 3 series of trim packs on cars and wagons; the 150, 210 and Belair. The 150 series cars included the last of Chevrolets Business Coupes ( I had a 55 BC when I was 18) and sedan deliveries that were bare bones, no stainless vehicles.
The top end of the gleem pile was the Bel air series which included the Nomad in a 2 door only wagon that could be bought in 57 with a corvette FI motor ( I had a 57 Nomad when I was 19-20, but here's when it turns to an ex wife story, we wont go there except to say I never got over my passion for long roofs).

In 58 The Yeoman would have been a dolled up 150; Basic, limited and spartan but a bit more stainless than the 150 series.
There was also the Delray ( When I was 18-20 I played guitar and sang in a rockabilly band called the Delrays which also turns back into the ex wife story but I degress). It offered more options including a radio and more interior packages plus an automatic.
This was now the 1100/ 1200 series ( 1100 was the 6, 1200 the V8)

If you wanted more polish and shine, you bought a Brookwood; a dolled up Delray similar to the 210 series of the past. And if you missed placing your 57 Nomad order, you got the 58 nomad in a 4 door family friendly ride as the 2 door version was obsolete. The Brookwood/ Biscayne was the 1500 and 1600 series based again on engine. The Nomad/impala and Belair fell into the 1700/ 1800 series.

In not sure how the production numbers compare between the Ranchwagon and the Yeoman but side by side, they seem to be equally equipted.  In 58 Chevrolet produced 16,590 2 door wagons.

Thank you for the complements on the shop; It's really a time machine. When I get in there and turn on the 200 disk CD player filled with early rockabilly, Mississippi and Atlanta Blues with splashes of surf music, there's not a care in the world and I'm in the moment.  :001:

Lono

slogging along with the trim panels.
I admit it, there are 2 things in rodding that bring me to tears.. electrical and interiors. Headliners, just throw me off a cliff.
It's not perfect but a whole lot nicer.

In August I'm hauling it to a friends place to do the electrical. I cant afford to pull more hair.  :003:

Frankenstein57

The interior is cool, love the Mexican blankets. I have a well stocked beer fridge, old school sansui stereo, some attractive women (posters,no naked ones) Is this so wrong?  Mark