News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door latch

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-02-14 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

"Jay..be careful with that ''little lock tailpiece''..they are not being made any more that I know of and hard to find."

Rich... If you  are out there, I'm sure that you will see this question.

When I changed that  "little lock tailpiece" from my worn out door latch assembly and installed it in the one that you send me, I used the same step pin/pivot piece.   I just  ground a little off the original peaned over edge and re-assembled everything on your assembly.  Then I welded a new top on it to hold everything together.   It works fine and everything is tight.

Now for my question. What did you do?  Did you use the same step pin or did you nut and bolt it together?   

RICH MUISE

I'm always here in the shadows..LOL. You kinda lost me with your explination. The little cast tailpiece is not "attached" to the latch per say. The lock mechanism is installed after the latch is installed. The tailpiece is held into the lock mechanism with a spring, and is installed into the door as an assembly, guiding the two tailpiece posts up into the appropriate holes in the latch. The center post is just to stabilize the mechanizm, while the post that is a bent arm..like a sugaro cactus is the one that moves the latch from lock to unlock. If they are not lining up correctly, take the lock back out and rotate the tailpiece 180*. got some pics somewhere..I'll try to find them if you need them.
I'm not sure why your tailpiece had a peaned over edge.
The pic I'm posting is a comparison of the original tailpiece/lever, and some shorter ones I found on ebay. But it does show it as it is assembled  to the lock mech.
I probably made all that clear as mud.
ps..the posts on the tailpiece do not have to be held in..once everything is in place, they just pass thru the holes in the flange and can't back out once the lock is clipped in tight.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
     I said it wrong.....   I'm not talking about those pieces in the picture and I'm not having any problems with them.  I kinda thought tail piece was the name for the locking lever that had to be removed from my old one and put on the good one from you.  It's held on with a step pin that is peened over to hold it in place.  I had to grind the peened section off the pin to take it apart, and put it back together with the same step pin.  I reused the ground off step pin and just welded the tip of it to make up for where I ground it off. 
     Anyways it is all back together.  Everything is adjusted and the door closes tightly against the B post like it is supposed to.
      Sorry to have confused you. 
Jay

RICH MUISE

I wasn't aware anything was missing on the latch I sent you..sorry if there was. or are you talking about the long rods that run to the door lock button mechanism and door handle and are held on with rod clips??
LOL..this is funny, if either one of us knew the proper terms for the thingies we're trying to describe it would be alot easier. Anyway..sounds like you got it figured out, and really glad to hear your door closes now! way to go.

Ecode70D

Rich
    Somehow I thought that the new one came without the door lock lever, and that you had to take it off to make yours work.  Now I know why you didn't know what I meant by the step pin that holds the missing lock lever in place.
     Yes I figured it out and took the missing piece off of my old one.  There was nothing to it.
      Nope I wasn't talking about the long rods.
      You'r right... If we knew the names of those things,we wouldn't be having this dumb conversation that I shouldn't have started in the first place.
      I'm very thankful that you sent me that one because mine was just plain worn out.  You bailed me out.
Jay

Tom S

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-02-14 22:32... You'r right... If we knew the names of those things ...
I wish I knew exactly what pieces either of you were talking about!  :102:
Exactly what part of the lock the 'tailpiece' is in that pic Rich posted ... BUT much more importantly exactly what Rich sent you.  Maybe I can figure out why my drivers door is so hard to get latched.  I think it is just alignment, but may be something more.
A good picture, (or 2 or 3  :002: ), is worth a thousand words.

'Double Throw Down Step pins'... '3/4 Race Lock Lever Cams'... 'Sugaro Cactus Arm Pivot Flanges'.
It's all so confusing!  :087:  :icon_eyes:
;D

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-02-15 01:56
It's all so confusing!  :087:  :icon_eyes:
;D

The only thing I can figure out is the lock thingy..... :005:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Somewhere I've got some good pictures of the latch assembly. I'll find them and get them posted. I still don't know what Jay is talking about. I sent him a passenger side latch assembly that I thought was complete, but apparently wasn't. I'm guessing when he got the latch from me and compared it to his old one, his had a piece on it that mine didn't, so he took that part of his to make the one I sent him complete. There are so many pieces in those, it's hard to describe.
The cactus discription...sorry about that, I knew Jay had been to Arizona and would know what I was talking about, although I probably spelled it wrong. The attached pic is a cat tree I made last week from one that came from Connie's uncle's ranch when he was a kid. (they are illegal to cut down now.
Tom..what I was calling the lock tailpiece is the little casting with two arms that snaps into the key cylinder lock and is held in place with the spring. You can clearly see the spring in the pic. A common problem with the locks is either the tailpiece fatigues and breaks, or the end of the key cylinder where the tailpiece fits in fatigues and breaks. The key cylinders are reproduced and can be found easily. Not the case with the tailpiece.

RICH MUISE

some latch pics. The only ones I could find are of drivers side. The older one with the green wire ties is the original. The other one is a NOS '57 Mercury latch that I adapted to fit the Ford. I didn't have a good pic of the passenger side I sent Jay.
Jay..look at the pic with the green tie keeping the rod clip. Is the piece you were talking about the one the tie goes thru? If it is ...I've got egg on my face 'cause I may have removed it from the one I sent you to use to modify the Merc latch. Opps! I thought I had butchered up the old driver's side latch for that part, but maybe I used the passenger side if I could have knowing they are easier to find than the driver's latch. I had forgotten about that 'til I pulled up these pics with the Merc latch. I worry about me sometimes.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-02-15 08:40

Jay..look at the pic with the green tie keeping the rod clip. Is the piece you were talking about the one the tie goes thru? If it is ...I've got egg on my face 'cause I may have removed it from the one I sent you to use to modify the Merc latch. Opps! I thought I had butchered up the old driver's side latch for that part, but maybe I used the passenger side if I could have knowing they are easier to find than the driver's latch. I had forgotten about that 'til I pulled up these pics with the Merc latch. I worry about me sometimes.
Dear egg on your face.(Smile)   Now that we have a good picture I will not be using make up names.
      The lever with the green tie wrap holding the clip is the one that I replaced.  Look closely at the picture. That large round 3/4"  thing on the other end of the lever is the pin that I removed.  In your picture it is half shaded.
      That pin has a 3/4 " head as seen.
       Below the round head is a 3/8" diameter step that the lever rotates on.
       The rest of the pin is 1/4"
       The pin is pushed through the lock lever and out the other side of the                 latch housing and swedged /riveted in place holding everything into place.
      So now everything is cleared up.

The only thing that can be learned or gained by this useless thread is that.   The pins that hold the assorted parts on a latch assembly can be removed and replaced by welding them back on if you don't have a new one.

Tom this is the best I can do without using make  up words.  Like you said "A picture is worth a thousand words ".   It was fun trying to confuse you though.  How do you know that Rich and I didn't just cook this up for that reason?

I don't want to confuse things even more, but just for the record I also used a green tie to hold the clip to the lever so that it would not get lost.  Go figure how did we both come up with the exact same idea.  I guess that from now on we will have to use green ties to hold parts together or things just will not go right.
                    Jay

RICH MUISE

OK...now that we have that sorted out...Tom...exactly what problems are you having with your door not latching? Is the door partially latching, so it won't open but still not closed tightly?

Zapato

Shoot! I just got about a 1000 red tie wraps not sure now if they're ford compatible.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Zap..that there that's funny!
Just save em' for a swap meet...you know..those places where you can find every Chevy part you ever wanted. (No, I'm not implying you ever wanted a chevy part)

57 Ford Kustom

Jay,
   Just shave them! Lol :003:
Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-02-15 15:31
Jay,
   Just shave them! Lol :003:
Tim
That's not funny at all. My daughter is building a 57 wagon and shaved everything, I could have killed her  :005: LOL
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang