News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Del Rio wagons on the market, discussion

Started by djfordmanjack, 2020-01-01 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-01-21 08:48
and now it's back at 40.9 buyitnow price. somebody was testing the waters.

He should have taken the $33k...
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

Heres one for sale.............. https://www.allcollectorcars.com/for-sale/1957-Ford-Ranch-Wagon-/2328999/

and another one.......................  https://www.autozin.com/imagesl/027120170801/59809535c33f9.jpg

that link didnt work, try this, it's the very bottom of the listings..   https://www.autozin.com/for-sale/1957-ford-2-door-wagon
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Quote from: rmk57 on 2020-01-21 11:38
   Heres one for sale.............. https://www.allcollectorcars.com/for-sale/1957-Ford-Ranch-Wagon-/2328999/

and another one.......................  https://www.autozin.com/imagesl/027120170801/59809535c33f9.jpg

that link didnt work, try this, it's the very bottom of the listings..   https://www.autozin.com/for-sale/1957-ford-2-door-wagon

First one is also dreaming.
The link that worked...notice that several times a car was listed more than once? with different prices? Fishing...although they weren't bad prices.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

At first I though they were the same car, but there not. One has a 300 6 and the other has a 390 transplant. The one for 10k might be an "ok" deal if the body is solid.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Guenter
       Here's my opinion..  Invest a few dollars and get the Del Rio frame aligned. If you don't do it now, it will only cost
more later.  Then bring it back home and store it
away where it will be high and dry. Then try not to use up too many of the body parts on the 4dr wagon.  The running
gear is not all that important because you can always make anything fit anything to get a car running.  Body parts are still a
lot of work even for someone like you or me.  In another 3 or 4 years. there is a certain little boy that will want that real
cool 2dr. wagon. It's all paid for and just waiting for him.  He is going to need a spare project to work on when he needs a
break form the car that he's working on now.   In Europe, that car is going to go up in value and you already paid for
it  plus the price to have it transported from the USA. 
         We both know that when the body is bolted on the straightened frame, it can be rolled around anywhere and the
sheet metal is really just a walk in the park.  With your instructions,  in another couple of years he will master sheet metal
work.   
         One more thing ...Don't forget to put a dummy temporary  engine in it before doing body work.   
         Mark my words.. You will see that I'm right. 
Jay

djfordmanjack

Thank you for your expertise, Jay. You have many good points there, and we have discussed the Del Rio many times before.
you make it sound easy, and it probably is. Like you say I am not really afraid of the body work and welding. rather about not having the time (right now). But in the end like you say, who knows how things will be in 5 years. Maybe it will be great to spend time with my son and working on (t)his 57 wagon... :001:
I have many dummy ( and even working) engines, even another og 1957 292 with ECZG heads. I really could make it a runner in no time.
well, thinking you are right with the chassis. trying to get that sorted and straightened out.
BUT before that I will definitely want to either
figure out the oil pressure problem or even rebuild an engine for the 4dr wgn. I really want to be able to drive it long distance.

Thx Randy for those Del Rio classifieds. Some ads look very phoney and most of them I know from years ago and obvioulsy have been sold since. The yellow (Inca Gold) one was also listed on ebay and I believe sold for 36k.

mustang6984

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2020-01-21 17:39
Guenter

One more thing ...Don't forget to put a dummy temporary  engine in it before doing body work.   
         Mark my words.. You will see that I'm right. 
Jay

I would use a complete engine of the sort you plan to put in the car myself...the weight being the thing. Other than that difference...I agree with all said.

G...I have kept my Couriers for well over 45 years to get to them...hanging on to that Del Rio another 5 years is easy! LOL!!!  Heck...wait long enough and when I get over there in 3 years or so...I'll help you work on it!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

I'll take you by your word Hugh! There will be plenty of real dirty work left....haha

By dummy motor Jay definitely meant a fully assembled unit, just maybe not running. to have the full weight on the chassis while shimming and adjusting the body, fenders and doors. otherwise everything would be horribly off, once the drivetrain gets installed.

mustang6984

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-01-21 18:41
I'll take you by your word Hugh! There will be plenty of real dirty work left....haha

By dummy motor Jay definitely meant a fully assembled unit, just maybe not running. to have the full weight on the chassis while shimming and adjusting the body, fenders and doors. otherwise everything would be horribly off, once the drivetrain gets installed.

Ah! When I think of dummy motor...I think of an empty block with empty heads...easy to move around. Guess I was the "dummy" here! LOL!!!
I am not binging much in  the way of tools...though I suspect you have all we need!   :003: I will be having a serious discussion with the car before we leave...to make sure that it understands that it is to have NO issues while we are visiting other continents! I am quite sure we shall come to an understanding and proper meeting of the minds!  :laughing7:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-01-21 18:41

That's exactly what I meant.  You need to have the weight of an engine and transmission
on the frame whenever you start doing serious stretching and pulling on the body, especially the door openings.
.  You want the doors to fit the the opening perfectly.  And it doesn't make any difference if the engine runs
or not while doing the bodywork.         

mustang6984

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2020-01-21 19:58
    That's exactly what I meant.  You need to have the weight of an engine and transmission
on the frame whenever you start doing serious stretching and pulling on the body, especially the door openings.
.  You want the doors to fit the the opening perfectly.  And it doesn't make any difference if the engine runs
or not while doing the bodywork.       

Yea...I see the reason for that. I thought you were referring to one of those plastic engines that are used for mock up stuff for firewalls and stuff. We had the same idea...just different words. LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

I thought that you could be thinking of those foam dummies Hugh. Jay, not sure if you know these. they sell engine dummies made from foam, so you can try engine position in a Hot Rod build beforehand and of course it is much easier to lift in and out and no risk of damaging finished body panels/fenders. I am not sure if they have a Y block, but for sure a flathead and the well, the....ooooh....err....you know what. :003:

Of course these are no use for putting weight on a chassis. I'd probably go the way you said. Once the frame is straightened out and true, put on the suspension and make it a roller again. that makes it much easier to put in the engine, slip the body on and off ( this will have to come off several times).
I am not sure yet if I will make some frame braces or substructure, like Hugh used on his build. There are different ways of thinking. Some guys want all the rigidity in the chassis and let the suspension do their work ( especially with hopped up performance) and others want to stay true to the original design and keep it more flexible for that 1950s showboat ride.
Since both the frame and body of my project are REALLY weak by now, I think that it needs some additional strength in the chassis.