News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 custom 300

Started by Geeksum, 2018-04-30 14:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeksum

Just got this car last October from my Dad who is fighting ALS; he purchased it from his brother a few years ago, I think around 2010 before he was diagnosed.  My uncle picked it up sometime in the late 80's in Arkansas.  I cleaned it up a bit and pulled out the old rotten truck mat, transmission work and generator rebuild were done before I got it.  Just changed the oil this weekend and have sparkplugs /wires on the way.  Hoping to upgrade brakes, have a leak at the firewall on the MC...looking into disk front but not sure if I want to lose the 14"s with the hubcaps.

Trying to document things as I find them / do them; I like a car with a story!

Here is a link to my google photos album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mUrj7oGnWOHmKJPk1
1957 Ford Custom 300 tudor
-Jeff

Marc

Looks like a nice solid project!
I believe there are some 14" wheels that will work with discs. Or you could go to 15's with the old dog dish style caps.
Good luck with it. Sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. 

Geeksum

Thanks Marc!  The main thing I'm worried about is metal work...the frame looks good but the rocker panels are not so great and I don't have any experience in metal working.  I figured I would just focus on mechanical issues first :).  Engine is a little cold blooded but after the oil change it helped quite a bit.  Can't wait to see what she does with a new fuel filter, plugs and wires.  I'm pretty sure it's all from the 89!
-Jeff

Marc

New plugs and wires should help. Has it sat for a long time? Any rubber components in the fuel system should be replaced.

Geeksum

Around 6 years at my dad's place, not sure how frequently my uncle drove it.  I know it has a new fuel sending unit, but other than that I am unsure.  Neighbor was over last week and said he thought the carb was running rich but the float was stuck before he came over and dumped a bunch of gas before I caught it.  I
also see a small exhaust leak on one of the manifolds, so I am hoping there are some after market headers around.

-Jeff

Geeksum

After replacing my spark plugs and wires the engine runs worse!  I now have a misfire.  I checked to make sure all the wires were seated and all the spark plugs were gapped to .034", any ideas?
-Jeff

59meteor

Since you replaced the plug wires, first thing I would check would be that the firing order  is correct, that the wires are in the proper sequence. Also check that the cap & rotor look OK, and the dwell(point gap) is good. Look for signs of carbon tracking inside the distributor cap.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: 59meteor on 2018-05-05 17:14
Since you replaced the plug wires, first thing I would check would be that the firing order  is correct, that the wires are in the proper sequence. Also check that the cap & rotor look OK, and the dwell(point gap) is good. Look for signs of carbon tracking inside the distributor cap.

Yup....rule number one when a new unexpected problem crops up....what's the last thing I did?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Geeksum

Double checked the wires last night with no luck there.  I've got it on jack stands right now so I'll have to check the dis cap and dwell later...with any luck if it is that, I already have a new cap.   

Got the front right tore down to the spindle, starting disc brake upgrade.  I went with the Wilwood Classic Series Dynalite Front Brake Kits 140-13653,Wilwood Brake Flexline Kits 220-8307, and Cardone Select New Master Cylinders 13-1394.  Still waiting for the mc to arrive.

-Jeff

Geeksum

Brakes done on both sides.  Working on re-routing the lines for the new Mc.

-Jeff

RICH MUISE

looks good...keep the pics and posts coming!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Are your brake hose frame brackets in the stock location?
Lynn

Geeksum

I assume so, unless someone before me moved them.  I can try to get a closer picture if you want
-Jeff

59meteor

I will be installing the same Wilwood kit on my 59 this weekend, so I would like to see some close ups of the brake lines too. Did you use straight, 45 or 90 degree fittings in the caliper body, and if you used angled fittings, did you point the hose end pointing up, down, or to the front or rear? Are you happy with the 18" length of hose?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Geeksum

90° with the outlet vertical for the hose connection;my reason... it's just what the 18'' hose kit came with.  Length seems a little long but I haven't gotten to putting on the wheels and checking clearance and such with them turned.
-Jeff