News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Custom 300 Body Off

Started by fdlrc, 2019-01-21 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

My mom told me about running the Peak in an Austin Healy when she was in her early 20's...when it was a nasty road with few if any safety barriers and in some places no asphalt.
I would like to take my '88 Saleen on that run... :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

Check out Ken Block's climbkhana video in his Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6L_7qLIEQ&t=78s
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

hiball3985

Quote from: fdlrc on 2020-05-09 12:10
Check out Ken Block's climbkhana video in his Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg6L_7qLIEQ&t=78s
WOW!!!! Now thats my idea of fun. Now I'm thinking of how to put a handbrake set up in the 57 and wishing I was 40 years younger :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Quote from: fdlrc on 2020-05-09 12:10

Ah...just a nice Sunday drive in the mountains on a sun drenched afternoon!   :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

A steering brake is SO MUCH FUN to drive. I had a VW off-road racing buggy (all tube frame) that I raced in the 70s; probably half of the steering was done with the steering (hand) brake. So fun to pitch it hard into a corner, lock up one of the rear wheels, and BAM, you're facing the other way without turning the steering wheel.

fdlrc

I finally got my Vintage Air Gen lV heat/AC system charged and up and running. It sure runs nice, at least one day in. For reference: I get 44 degrees out of center vent with outside temp of 83.

I had a couple issues (not Vintage Air's fault by the way) that their tech department was super helpful in getting me squared away!

RICH MUISE

Not for the faint hearted. I have an ex-uncle who delivered the monument at the top of pikes peak in a big rig!
I think I saw my old house way down below, lol.
Les.....we can compare notes whenever I finally get there to figure out why my VA doesn't get cold enough.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fdlrc

Vintage Air Gen lV

Rich,
134a refrigerant charge is 1.8 lbs or 28.8 oz
High-side psi: 160-270
Low-side psi: 10-20 in a steady state
Center duct temp w/blower on medium speed, engine 1500 RPM: 42-44 degrees with 80-85 outside temp

Calibration procedure:
How To Calibrate A Gen IV 3-Lever/Knob Control Panel

On Vintage Air Gen IV systems using factory controls, the control panel will need to be calibrated to ensure proper function. The following procedure will work when calibrating Gen IV control panels with 3 levers or knobs (Blower Speed, Mode, Temperature), and may be repeated as many times as necessary to get it right.
Before beginning, attach the white jumper supplied with your control panel kit to a suitable chassis ground within easy connection distance to the gray programming wire located in the main Gen IV wiring harness next to the compressor relay.

Calibration Procedure

1. Turn on the ignition switch (do not start the engine).

2. Move the (3) control panel levers or knobs to the following positions:
a.   Blower Speed: HIGH
b.   Mode: DEFROST
c.   Temperature: HOT

3. Connect the white jumper wire to the gray program wire. Wait for the blower speed to momentarily change (approximately 5 seconds).

4. Move the (3) control panel levers or knobs to the following positions:
a.   Blower Speed: LOW
b.   Mode: DASH
c.   Temperature: COLD

5. Disconnect the white jumper wire from the gray program wire. The blower speed will momentarily change again, indicating completion of the calibration procedure.

6. Confirm proper operation of the controls. Repeat the procedure if necessary. When finished, tape over the program wire connector with electrical tape to prevent accidental contact with chassis ground.

RICH MUISE

Well, not to hijack your thread Les, but I finally got to spend an hour on the A/C. First of all, after thinking about the build sequence/time line on mine, I'm 98% sure I never calibrated the control panel. Secondly, I went through my Vintage Air instructions, and never saw anything about calibrating. Only a note on the wiring schematic about "the gray wire  is used for programming controls if applicable". The instructions you provided are in neither of the two copies of installation instructions I have.
It took a while but I think I found the wire. It was near the compressor relay, as stated by VA, and it was a very light gray (almost looks white with a light shining on it). It also had a pink female connector. Gary had said it was a gray wire with "a pink end", so I'm pretty sure I found it. I may have a stab at calibrating tonigh or tommorrow, or just let my A/C guy do it Tuesday.
I did pick up a thermometer like yours, btw, and got an identical 68* reading.

fdlrc

I think you are on the right track.

Those instructions didn't come with mine either, but after talking with VA tech, I was able to find them. As good as you are at sorting things out, you shouldn't have any issues doing this. I had to do a trial run, and I still did it wrong. No problem though, the ECU is forgiving, just have to start over. You cab re-run it as many times as it takes.

RICH MUISE

What issues were you having, and was it  the reprogramming that solved it? I'm not sure what I'm looking for as far as changes, other than the obvious cold. Everything seems to be functioning correctly other than actual temperature.

fdlrc

No issue other than the ECU has to know the limits (high to low) of each switch. So maybe your ECU doesn't know the limits for your temperature, but it does for fan speed and the mode switches. If you don't know it is calibrated right, working on the rest of the system, well, you might be chasing rabbits.

RICH MUISE

brushwolf

What is the story on your headlights and parking lights on at the same time? They have dual filament bulb/sockets in them so turn signals work same as the rear?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

Ford Blue blood

I have mine wired so they are on when the key is in the run position.  To keep/help the ignition switch from failing due to an increase in load the ACC and Run terminals turn on relays.  I just fed a fuse  and wired the tail/license and park lights to that fuse.  Turn signals are wired in as normal and work as normal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II