News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Custom 300 Body Off

Started by fdlrc, 2019-01-21 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

fdlrc

I did check, no issues.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Frankenstein57

Very nice work! Getting back to the 4 link, most are triangulated, I couldn't see a panhard rod in your pics, for sideways location.  Mark

Tom S

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2019-01-31 22:20I couldn't see a panhard rod in your pics, for sideways location. 
Ya made me look again.  :001:
I see it coming off of the bracket on the center section. That's a nice chassis.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7741.0;attach=24941;image

fdlrc

This is an Art Morrison universal 4-bar. The pan head comes off the center diff, goes to the frame bracket on driver's side.

I had an amazing amount of welding blow holes on frame. This was just one area. Frame must have been put together on a Friday, late afternoon.

hiball3985

That's coming along nicely. I've seen several post over the years with bad welding on the frames and it brings up a question of were the frames made at different assembly plants or were they all made at on plant and shipped to the assembly plants? I was lucky and all my welds were really nice.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

drain holes for media and red clay

mustang6984

Mine has several blow-holes as well. I talked to the 84 year old welder who was doing my modifications, and he said that inn those days the welding was done with stick welders, and the line was moving, so they were quick and sometimes sloppy. Couple of my body mounts also had minimal amount of welding on them...makes you wonder how they has survived for 59 years.

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-02-01 09:30
I had an amazing amount of welding blow holes on frame. This was just one area. Frame must have been put together on a Friday, late afternoon.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

Pretty obvious it was stick welder. The bad welds were only on the top and to the rear. I only dressed one weld on the front, there were at least a dozen of these blow holes.

Tom S

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-02-01 09:30
The pan head comes off the center diff, goes to the frame bracket on driver's side.
Did you have to put longer studs in the axle housing in order to mount the bracket for the panhard rod onto the diff?
I'm guessing that you would have to in order to have enough threads left for the nuts. Hard to tell how thick that bracket is from the pic or how many studs it uses.  Looks like it only uses two studs.  ??
EDIT: Well, duh ...
http://www.artmorrison.com/rearsusp-kits.php

fdlrc

I'm not with the car now, but I'd say 1/4" plate and it mounts to two longer studs.

fdlrc

I knew my car was a two-tone from the factory but I questioned that when we sanded car down where blue is visible under the white. I was schooled that the whole car was painted the base color before being brought back into the booth to paint the white. I heard that process continued as standard practice until 80s.

mustang6984

Still done that way in some shops where speed is of the essence. I had a 2-door sedan that was blue & white too. Same thing. Still miss that car...was stolen...never saw it again.  >:(

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-02-01 16:35
I knew my car was a two-tone from the factory but I questioned that when we sanded car down where blue is visible under the white. I was schooled that the whole car was painted the base color before being brought back into the booth to paint the white. I heard that process continued as standard practice until 80s.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

Oh-oh, I'd better not post my VIN number!!

mustang6984

HHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm...Where were you in fall of '77?   :003:

Have a friend who is a cop in Phoenix, but before he was a cop he had an auto repair shop. Had a really nice mid-60's truck for a shop/personal use vehicle. Someone stole it. He has a superb memory...(he could look at your vin and 3 years later tell you what it is) and for 25+ years now...since he became a cop...every time he sees a truck of that year...he looks at the vin number. Car shows, parking lots pulled over for a violation, anything...the vin gets looked at.
I feel sorry for who ever has that truck if ever finds it. LOL!!!

Quote from: fdlrc on 2019-02-01 20:51
Oh-oh, I'd better not post my VIN number!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

It would be an interesting story if he found it after decades. I trust (pray) your memory isn't so good.