News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'57 QUAD HEADLIGHT CONVERSION-REVERSED!

Started by CobraJoe, 2020-06-03 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Those headllight covers that you speak of used to be sold here in the states as well. I had a set for my 69 Mustang that I would install for road trips because I seemed to always get a headlight broken when doing them. Bought them in an Al's Auto Parts (later Schucks, now O'Reilly's). They may still be available.

Car looks oh so much better with the single eyes! Good for you!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

A closeup of the hood/fender/front filler panel alignment prior to pulling the frame.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

They pulled the chassis and I must say I'm very happy, but it didn't start that way.
When they pulled the bumper, you could clearly see the bumper bracket had been bent to realign the bumper. Someone had also hammered the valance somewhat straight under the bumper where it couldn't be seen, but didn't do any body work to it. None of this was noticeable under the car with the old thick undercoating.
Once it was pulled, the hood was able to be squared up, which makes me very happy. It also gave me a better gap on the passenger side door/fender and on the drivers side too. Now, I can adjust the bottom of the fender to line it up better.  All told, it was pulled back a little over 3/8".
Here are the pics after the pull:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

After spending some time adjusting, getting the headlight doors in and gaps finalized and it's starting to look "normal" again:

Final door gap is good now:

Looks like they shimmed the cowl out to get a better gap on the hood, now I need to remove it  and get it back closer to the windshield:

Picture of the lower valence damage that needs to get repaired now that it's hammered back into shape:

CobraJoe

...and yes DJ, we had to pull the front filler panel down from the middle, as it was rolled back and high. I'm assuming this was done to line up with the fabbed headlights, or possibly from the collision, or both?

Also mocked up a stock grill; true what they say, heavy people shouldn't wear horizontal stripes, she doesn't look nearly as wide...

CobraJoe

Once they ground down the lower valence, they discovered the original seam was still there, just filled with Tiger Hair. All repaired and ready for final coat of primer and displaying the proper seams:

CobraJoe

Also drilled out the welded up holes for the emblem so it can go back to original....

CobraJoe

Getting closer, almost ready to go back together and shipped off to the spray booth....

She's really starting to look like a Lady again:

CobraJoe

Headlight bucket assemblies all sand blasted, primed and painted.

Before:

After:

CobraJoe

I had to send my front emblem back to Dennis Carpenter as the chrome on the bottom of the "F" was bad, closer examination of the bag explained why...

mustang6984

Ah...she was ALWAYS a Lady Joe...her make-up was just skewed! Now she'll be the belle of the ball!  :003:

Amazing what a lousy 3/8 of an inch can do to mess up several feet of anything...car or house etc. Glad for you...there will be a lot of fun in driving this summer!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Thanks, can't wait to get it done and see what it will look like.  :toothy9:

Ford Blue blood

Very nice work!  I have to agree, the quads needed to go. 

I can't believe some of the junk coming out of Carpenters, not sure when they moved over to the dark side but it is beginning to pay out for them now.  I would just as soon pay for a proper part then hope the less expensive will look and work OK!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CobraJoe

Thanks Bill; as far as Carpenters, I'll let you know later on today as it says my new emblem is out for delivery.

I assembled my headlight buckets and dropped them off along with the bezels today. The SS polished up descent enough.

CobraJoe

I also made some aluminum filler plates for the old turn signal holes and popped them in.

The eyebrows have been fitted and primed:

They had just taken the hood back off when I got there. The fit was still good and now they hope to get some color on it next week.