News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Around my neck of woods crack repair  for cast iron repair is extremely expensive. Where are the cracks at? Since AL heads have there are some really nice G heads out there, biggest problem is shipping. To redo heads positive seals, harden EX seats, new guides, probably some new valves is around 4-5 hundred plus.

mustang6984

They were very small. Up near the edge of intake valve. We discussed replacing the heads, he said they would be much more expensive than the repair. I will be doing hardened seats etc as well.

Thanks G...I will look!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Hugh, I forgot about a possible source right in your neighborhood.........Jerry's classic cars in Springdale Ark.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

akusler763

My experience is all of them sell the same kit (made by Dennis Carpenter), so it is a matter of who has it in stock. Took me a few calls and emails to find mine last fall.
1957 Fairlane 500 2-door Sedan w 390FE/C6
2001 Mustang GT Convertible
2016 F-150
1968 Thunderbird w 429/C6

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-04-26 09:15Hugh, I forgot about a possible source right in your neighborhood.........Jerry's classic cars in Springdale Ark.

I will check him out. He is only about an hour and change from me. Thanks.

ak...yea...I am going to have to possibly do that if Jerry's doesn't have them. Thanks guys!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-04-26 09:15Hugh, I forgot about a possible source right in your neighborhood.........Jerry's classic cars in Springdale Ark.

Too late now to call...but Jerry's shows a kit for $100.00. I'll call tomorrow and verify it is the complete kit and will work for my car. If it does...then I will be heading down tomorrow to pick up a set! Thanks for the heads up!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Well...I tried every avenue you guys suggested along with some others...and NO ONE has any. Everyone gets them from Dc...and some have been out of stock for months. One place (the OKC place) just sold the last ones they had 2 days ago! Everyone said they have been getting lots of calls for them too...one said over a dozen in the last couple of weeks. Which meas we have a lot a lot of 57 Ford owners out there who are not on this forum apparently! We need to find a way to get them on board!
So...I guess Friday I am going to call Dennis Carpenter and see if I can nudge them forward. I am not going to stop my project though waiting...I could be sitting here a year waiting. Moving forward.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Ouch! I placed orders with all the distributors when I couldn't find a kit. I figured that was 4 or 5 "nudges" to get them built. I think it was 4 or 5 months before DC ran a batch. The old mounts in your car shouldn't stop your bodyman from getting the work done.......I changed out mine long after all the floor and body work was done.
Maybe our comments here were read by others, and that's a reason for so many inquiries. There's always 3 or 4 times as many guests as members on here. We help a lot of '57 guys even though we may not realize it at the time.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

1930artdeco

When I did my body mount kit install, I found an article here on the website that details the 'replacement' method. I guess ford reversed the way they install the double sided nuts and bolts from top down to bottom up. To me it made sense, so that is what I did.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

djfordmanjack

Today's situation in parts availability makes me appreciate so much more, when I was able to purchase most all parts needed for my Del Rio about 10 years back along with the purchase of car. Can't believe it has been 10 years since I drove my DR from Az to Ca and shipped it out to Europe....

mustang6984

I called DC today but they are closed on Fridays. So Monday...I'm ringing the phone.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

So I called DC and the news is worse than not good. I talked to an older guy (as in older than me-70) and he said "I'll tell you how it is, and I don't care if they don't like it...cause I am old and past caring". He said that when Dennis died, and Jr inherited the business, the caring about being short or out of items produced by the company went to the grave with Dennis.
Under Dennis if they ran out of something, then if needed an OT shift was implemented until there was stock made up and shelves were full again. Now...it isn't all that important. He said there are meetings mid-week where discussions are held about operations and that includes inventory. He has pointed out the issue of missing parts before...and yet...here we are. He said he honestly can not tell me when or even IF there will be any more body mount kits made. He thinks perhaps Jr is trying to run the business down and then sell it.
(I called a ton of places...and no one has any, and many have long ago called DC and stated they were out and had waiting lists. He pulled up a list of clients wanting these and other parts that are out of stock)

So..anyone have ANY ideas on how to possibly rejuvenate the rubber pads? Cause I am  not gonna have the interest or time to wait around for months or years to do this stuff. Let the thoughts fly!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Hugh, you need to find yourself a local business that specializes in industrial rubber components. contact HD equipment suppliers like truck shops, Caterpillar, John Deere, and see where they get their obsolete parts made. I  am sure some smaller company can run a badge of 20 or so rubber doughnuts exactly the size you want them. I can take dimensions of the new replacement set I have. You will have to use plenty of kroil or such to save the special washers and nuts, but it should be possible to retract most all of them, maybe just replace the actual bolts with new stainless hardware. these are not rocket science. you may even want to leave the old ones in place and just do away with a cheap body shim set. keep it simple, you want to drive this thing !

hiball3985

Unfortunately this situation with DC has been going on for sometime. If they ever make the kits again don't be surprised if they are made in China. Thats the route they have been going with several parts..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang