News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE oil galley jiggle plug?

Started by jdlafayette, 2009-12-06 16:03

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlafayette

I am building a 57 fairlane 500 with a 390 and a 4-speed. It's in a million pieces. I got the block back from the machine shop with all the oil galley plugs still in place. I want to remove them to clean them properly. Behind the cam gear is what ford calls a jiggle plug to help bleed air from the oil system. Do I try to find another or just replace it with a regular plug. Thanks guys, John Lafayette

jwtdvm

Ive not heard the term jiggle plug but what do I know---I usually tap those plug holes with 1/4 inch pipe and put a screw in plug/allen head type--there is a hole behind the cam gear which gives acess to the plug between the dist. hole and the lifter galley--I have had to enlarge that hole just to get a tap with extension on it to actually tap the oil plug hole behind the distributer---go slow if you tap that hole---tap a little and check with plug---other wise you will get so deep into the hole your plug will be into the lifter bore---also that plug needs to be deep enough that it wont catch the dizzy---usually I end up getting it to seat good and not be in lifter bore then I pull plug out and grind on it so the dizzy slides past it. put a little hone on the lifter bore just so smooth that area--all the other plugs are easier to tap and plug because the depth not so critical and the plug does not have to be flush with the block

glen b henderson

I think I would have a talk with the machine shop or find another next time, all the galley plugs should have been pulled before cleaning. You will be surprised how much gunk can hide in those passages. Just my two cents!
Freedom is not Free

glen b henderson

By the way there used too be a good article ( I think it was Hot Rod Journal) about oiling mods for the FE. I am sure the FE forum has the information, but it is so hard to navigate (for me anyway) that I don't fool with it.
Freedom is not Free

jdlafayette

I spoke with the machine shop today and he told me not to remove the plugs because if I replace them they could leak. He said the engine was clean and he tanked it for a long time. I agree that they should be removed and cleaned on a 45 year old engine. I read alot about FE motors and when I discuss things with him he doesn't agree with what I tell him I read about, oiling, cams etc. He is a chevy guy and is the first to admit it. P.S. thanks for all the input it is very helpful. This 57 was my highschool car and can't wait to smoke the tires like I used to. John

Ford Blue blood

Street Rodder had a great build on the FE series.  It ran about four years ago, maybe a few more.  They can provide reprints.  I agree that the machine shop should have pulled the plugs before work even started!  Of the many FEs I have built over the years not one of them has ever leaked from the oil galleries, so pull the plugs and clean the passages out.  Google FE and you'll find a great site that talks FEs until the sun comes up.  Good info there.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II