News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wagon rear slider to one piece.

Started by landon_king, 2007-05-01 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

landon_king

I was wondering if anyone out there has done this mod before. I am wanting to replace the rear sliding windows on my 2dr wagon with a one piece glass. I have seen this done but only in pictures. I have not seen how the channel in the metal was fixed at the top and bottom. If anybody may have any tips or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, I'm the newbie and if you would like to know more about me I have posted in the General Discussion under Newbie Here. Thanks

wolfpupsdad

I'VE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF THAT BEING DONE BEFORE , SOUNDS KINDA KOOL THO. I TO HAVE A RANCHWAGON. LETS HEAR FROM SOME OF THE OLD TIMERS.

meteor

There is a local car, customized wagon with that mod - beautiful car. I just bought a Ranch Wagon and don't even have the car yet. I'm curious, what is the reason for wanting to get rid of the slider in favour of one piece of glass? Are there issues with the slider ie. rattles, leaks, doesn't close/open, screwy latch mechanism or is it just personal taste and purely aesthetic?

Not being a jackass, I just don't have my car yet (read: I have no experience with a sliding window) but I think its cool.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

wolfpupsdad

theres nothing wrong with the design of the sliding glass in the ranch wagon , i've got one and it doesn't leak or rattle, i think you'll really enjoy it when ya get it home. a one piece side window sounds kinda cool to me, but then here in georgia ya needs all the air conditioning ya can get in the summer , it was 81 degrees today and about 85% humidity.

RAWms

Here is one of my favorites.  The "look" is what I'm striving for on the Ranchero.

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

wolfpupsdad

nice wagon , our wagon is goin in for a complete face lift the end of this month. at which time it'll come completely apart and a new worthit r&p set up installed, along with paint and upholstery. the battle of wills with the wife over color is on , lol.

landon_king

Well, Meteor it is actually just for my own personal taste. I have never been a big fan of any kind of sliders. It is also a way for me to really showcase something that is just not seen all that often. I dig the subtle changes that make people have to do a double take and wonder if that was stock. I just would like to see how those that have done this mod have worked the metal at the channels. For those of you that don't have a wagon, the channel is cut with an offset. Of course I could cut metal and get out the welder but I wish I could just see what someone else may have done before I do that. I know it will cut the ability to flow a breeze on the hot days but I plan on shoving an A/C unit in her. Debating on an old fashioned under-dash unit or a full blown hidden unit. I'll save that for another post though. I like the pic you posted RAWms. Very clean. I look at that and can just see a one piece being tinted dark like that. I'm sure y'all have seen the Intruder by Troy Trepanier. He went super custom but still maintained a clean look. I won't be able to get anywhere close to that but I sure like the look he has created with the glass.I am including a pic of the Intruder so you can see it. BTW, this car sold at BarretJackson Auction for just over $130,000.

meteor

My buddy has a 55 chev handyman wagon and wants me to convert my slider to a one-piece. I'm gonna drive the car as is this year and see if I like the slider...

Landon, I may be able to get some info on the local wagon and how the window was done. Are you in a rush to do it? cause I'm sure I'll see the car around in the next couple of months.

Roger, you nailed the look of that wagon with the Ranchero for sure. I think now you have to do a Ranch Wagon as a stable mate for the Ranchero! You'll need another project soon anyway by the looks of things...
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com