News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero trailer hitch?

Started by Limey57, 2011-04-18 08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Anyone installed a decent hitch to their 57 Ranchero?  I'm looking for something that is frame-mounted and ideally equivalent at least to your class 2 hitches so I can pull our travel trailer (maximum gross weight 1500kgs/3300lbs).  I'd like it to be removable, similar to your square-tube type receiver hitches.

Anyone had one made?  If so, where did you bolt it onto the frame?  Ideally I want it to be as neat and unobtrusive as possible after the ball is removed.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Hoosier Hurricane

Limey, here in the US the truck/trailer rental companies (U Haul is our biggie)have hitches available.  If you have such businesses in the UK, you might try them.  Some of our parts stores also sell hitches, somewhat along the generic "fits all" line.   Good luck.   John

CDN.SD

Can't help you with a hitch, but I can warn you not to use the rear frame cross-member without reinforcing it.

I just had to straighten the one on the frame I'm working on that had been bent and twisted by having a hitch on it at some time.

They just aren't strong enough for it without some added support.
Necessity is the mother of butchery

Ford Blue blood

Limey having pulled trailers over the years please do the right thing and get a good quality reciever type hitch.  The recievers I have had on my trucks were all bolt in, none were welded to the frame, and all were rated 100% over my estimated gross weight, (I know a little over the top there), as I had my wife and first born along with me on most of the race weekends.  The extra expense is well worth it.  I had a blow out on the rear tire of my truck on I-40 in NC on the middle of a curve where the shoulder was 5 - 600 ft. over the edge with a full load and the hitch/brakes did their job.  We changed the tire (and drawers) and were back underway.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Thanks.  Over here towing tends to be done with smaller cars than you guys use, as fuel is expensive and tax on larger vehicles is high, having said that, our travel trailers tend to be lighter than yours (due to being built with lightweight inferior parts!!!).  As an example the VW Passat (sedan and wagon) have a towing limit of 2,000kgs (around 4,100lbs) and any trailer hitch must be able to meet these limits, the one I fitted to my previous car (2006 Passat wagon) bolted to the cars structure in six places using 1/2" bolts.  Looking at some of your class 1 VW hitches that appear to bolt onto whatever is accessible, I wouldn't trust them to pull me out of bed.  :003:

I had a receiver hitch made to fit my 1960 Impala and that bolted to the rear crossmember using 4x 1/2" bolts and then to the main chassis rails using another 4 x 1/2" bolts, so I'll do something similar with the Ranchero.  I wouldn't trust a bumper mounted hitch!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

shopratwoody

Mine had a store bought hitch on it for years(not a receiver).
Worked fine for 30 yrs towing a boat etc. I use a receiver on vehichles
that need it. Mine had a piece of angle iron welded to re rear
crossmember to beef the hitch up. :003:
I hate blocksanding!

shopratwoody

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2011-04-20 12:51
Mine had a store bought hitch on it for years(not a receiver).
Worked fine for 30 yrs towing a boat etc. I use a receiver on vehichles
that need it. Mine had a piece of angle iron welded to re rear
crossmember to beef the hitch up. :003:
They also make smaller receivers for lighter weight applications.
I hate blocksanding!