News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351 C headers and 57 Fairlane

Started by Flane57, 2007-08-09 17:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Flane57

Hello Ford people,
I`m a new Ford guy here, this is my first post here.
I`m from Finland; Europe, so plese forgive my school English :deadhorse:
I`ve got a 2d HT Fairlane (body 63 B) with 351 C+FMX+9"(for 10 years or so)
I`m gonna hop my Baby next wintern, and I need your advice.
I have a pair or Boss 4V 351C heads with closed chambers.
My good friend (Pro Mod Engine builder) says it`s a bad idea to run those heads in street machine.
OK I`m cool with this, but heres my Q:
Anybody running 351C 2V or 4V (or assie heads) headers in `57??????
Shorties are cool too :burnout:

Frankenstein57

From what I read the mustang factory 5.0 headers work on the 5.0 and 351w motors, I bought a set on ebay real cheap. Don't know about 351c motors, thanks, Mark

Ford Blue blood

Your friend is correct, unless you plan on running 4:56/4:88 gears the 2V heads are superior to the 4V heads on the street.  The 4V will fall flat anywhere below 3500 RPM.  As for headers, check with Sanderson, they make a set for the 351C to fit into 32 Ford frames so they may work fine in the 57 chassis.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2007-08-20 15:46
Your friend is correct, unless you plan on running 4:56/4:88 gears the 2V heads are superior to the 4V heads on the street.  The 4V will fall flat anywhere below 3500 RPM. 

There is a better way to make the 351C 4V heads work. . . add a bunch of cubic inches.  There are now stroker kits available for 351C, that will let you take a Cleveland all the way out to 427 cubic inches.  That is a proven wake up pill for the lazy ports on a 4V motor.  Stock, they are mediocre, stroked, they come alive to the tune of over 600 hp with no fancy portwork, just a good bowl blend and port match.These heads can flow some serious numbers, just watch out for the exhaust side.  That side can stand some filling of the floor area.  Something to think about if you're serious about running the best of the small blocks. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

FoMoCo57

:003:hey Flane57, I used Flow Tech headers on my Ranchwagon. Its a close fit around the idler arm and around the stering box, but they fit!  I;am using a c6 and its close.  Try      summitracing.com  , pn#BIG12118FLT    .
  At $119.95 it was worth the chance, even if a tube had to be moved. It clears the factory power stering ram also.
There are other companys that make this header, use the ones for 1970 mustang with the cleveland.  good luck

FoMoCo57

flane57,,, after I emailed you about my Cleveland fitting, I reviewed my notes,,and there was a little
more to it. I had to raise the engine 3/4 inch. Used standard channel welded to stock engine mount pads.
  To gain proper pinion angle I had to notch the trans tunnel. Am using a c6 trans, which has ribs on top. I could have grind ed the ribs and hammered the tunnel but my floors were toast anywhey. Your using the fmx trans so you
probably  could use the heavy hammer way. As Ford Blue Blood stated the 4v heads will kill your low end , I will
be converting to 2v heads and the Edelbrock air gap intake. Hope this helps