News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EPA 609 Certification

Started by JimNolan, 2008-01-18 10:17

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I thought I'd pass along this information:  I'm installing a air conditioner in my 57 Ford. I'm using R12 as the refrigerant. I went to a local garage that would put in the R12 and the guy was very snotty about helping me. He explained that HE was an expert at air conditioning and he had the coveted 609 certification to be legally able to buy and install R12 in an automotive system. He also explained he would be doing me a favor to install it in my piece of junk ( not his exact words )  and it would cost me at least 250 dollars to do the installation.
   Well, being from Kentucky, 60 years old and not intimidated by anything walking this earth, I went to the EPA website to see how precious this 609 certification was. The EPA listed web-sites that you could visit to study the exam and take the test to become 609 certified. I went to one of the websites, downloaded the study material, payed the 20 dollar exam fee and took the test. Now all this is happening in a two hour period. It's a 25 question test that covers material related to buying and installing R12 refregerant.
   I passed the test, got my certification number and am now legal to buy, sell and install R12 in a automobile. I thought about having my dog ( toy poddle ) take the test also but I didn't know if anyone would balk about having a poodle work on their car. ( just kidding, I don't want my poodle getting greasy ).
  So now, I've bought 5 can's of R12 for 70 bucks, a certification for 20, gauges for 50 and I have the legal ability to buy and install refrigerant in my 57.
  Afterwards I got to thinking, if the kid at Jiffy Lube could get a license, how tough could it be.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wolfpupsdad

lmao, good go jim, i love it when us older guys can get one overon these young asshats, i'd take the certificate in hand and take my pride and joy back i=to him and tell em where the rubber hi9ts the road. lol good show. bill

JimNolan

Update:
   The gauges came in today so I went out and installed the freon. Pulled 28 inhg for 30 minutes, maintained it for 5 minutes. Installed 2 1/2 lbs R12 and it blows cold. Everthing worked. I'm ready for Mississippi now. Jim

JPotter57

Come on down, Jim, we're ready for you....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

ECODE70D57FORD

Jim
    That's great work!!!!    I'm proud of you.
     At our age, it is no fun to have take that kind of stuff from a snooty kid at Jiffy Lube.
Jay in (very  cold) Mass.

JimNolan

Jay,
   The place that I went to for assistance with the R12 installation wasn't Jiffy Lube. It was AB and Tom's Radiator in Warsaw. I just used the kid at Jiffy Lube as a metaphor. Idea's still the same but I thought I'd better correct the statement I made about Jiffy Lube. As far as I know they might not even work on air conditioning at Jiffy Lube. After McQuick's Lube Service in Warsaw left the plug out of my trucks differential a few years ago, I won't go to those places anymore.
   Lighter side. I showed my wife how the air conditioner worked today. We went for a drive and I turned it on for a little while. Worked really great. Here we are going down the highway with the air conditioner on and the temperature was 1 degree outside. If it stays cold I'll be able to drive the car everyday. When it warms up the roads will get wet again. With the salt they've put out already, I won't drive the 57 on a wet road around here. That's why I'm looking for some land and a trailer in Mississippi. I plan to stay a little warmer during the winter now that I've retired.
   Stay warm in Mass
Jim