News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ECM Mounting

Started by 57 imposter, 2015-01-07 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

As I continue to try and stuff more wire in this car than it was designed to take, I find that the best place to mount my ECM is going to be directly below one of me rear deck speakers. I am afraid that the magnet on the speaker might have an effect on the computer. Does anyone have any info or experience with this?

gasman826

computer good.............

magnet bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57 imposter

That's kinda my thinking, probably should just look for spot B just to be on the safe side.

RICH MUISE

By "directly below"...do you mean attached to the bottomside of the package shelf, or on the sheetmetal rise between the seat and the trunk more than a foot below the speaker? Keep in mind also the quantity of wires that need to run back to it....although I forget what your drivetrain is...the 5.0 wiring is much simpler/less wires than the 4.6 efi. for example. I'm just hinting that a under dash location might be easier even if tight for space.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I mounted it above the glove box in the 66 Falcon I built with EFI.  Used the stock holder with two screws through the top of the dash.  It had a pad that covered the screw heads.  Stock wires to the engine turned out to be perfect (blind luck on that) so there was no bundling or splicing required.  Easy access, just take out the glove box and it was right there.  I did wrap the harness with tin foil with a stripped wire under the foil and grounded on both ends then wrapped with tape to keep it all together.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

quote: "I did wrap the harness with tin foil with a stripped wire under the foil and grounded on both ends then wrapped with tape to keep it all together."
If you didn't see it, Bill....I did mine also at your suggestion. Thanks again
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

You're welcome sir...not sure it is a requirement or even needed but I wanted to be sure nothing would "tweak" the program or drivability....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: gasman826 on 2015-01-07 18:31
computer good.............

magnet bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA HA

You got that right.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57 imposter

I hope to mount the speakers to the package tray today. My idea was to mount the ECM on top of the wheel well. Not sure how much distance i will have between the two until the speaker is mounted. I have also read a couple articles on shielding speakers. didn't find either one detailed enough so I may look a little further.