News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero tailgate handle

Started by Limey57, 2015-07-24 13:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Zapato

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

What a rip off, and it isn't even the whole piece, it's just the handle  :cussing:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-07-24 15:17
What a rip off, and it isn't even the whole piece, it's just the handle  :cussing:

I hadn't noticed that!!!!  Looking at it closely it isn't even perfect (though I'm not sure they would have been "perfect" from the factory?).
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Zapato

Back in my Navy days had a shipmate that had worked for one of the Detroit big 3 doing end of the line repairs. According to him, and he was a straight arrow, any parts that weren't quite perfect but usable were recycled off to dealers as parts. This not perfect NOS part was probably one of those.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Limey57

Quote from: Zapato on 2015-07-25 00:53
Back in my Navy days had a shipmate that had worked for one of the Detroit big 3 doing end of the line repairs. According to him, and he was a straight arrow, any parts that weren't quite perfect but usable were recycled off to dealers as parts. This not perfect NOS part was probably one of those.

I've heard similar stories, which explains why some NOS body panels fit like square pegs in round holes as they'd possibly been rejected from the production line.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Zapato

Body panels were according to him were the most common, am sure the dealers and body shops just figured the misfit was part of the previous damage and just dealt with it.

Zapato

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

After buying at least 5 tailgate handles attempting to find a real nice one with no pits, I would agree with Jim that this is a nice one.  That high dollar Ebay seller is known for his outrageous prices.

djfordmanjack

the price for the NOS handle is ridiculous. I think dealers like that are playing games and waiting for a rich collector to come along and push the button, people who don't have any feel for the market and current value of a piece they need. they are getting totally ripped off.
That said I know that getting a good tailgate handle is difficult and I have made one driver quality out of 3 I collected here and there.
The second auction isn't that bad but it has been rechromed and unfortunately the details of the Ford letters have been lost in the polishing process. look at the F. it is flat with the lower handle and now looking like an E. originally these letters are raised.

KYBlueOval

The $750 handle has been on E Bay for some time. I'm surprised that no mentioned the $1500. 00  N.O.S. Ranchero / Station Wagon gas tank that is or was on E bay recently.

Limey57

I eventually found a good one back in April for about $100.  The seller sent me loads of close up photos to show it WAS a good one, he then told me he wouldn't post it overseas.........  Someone on a UK hot-rod forum offered to act as a go-between as he worked in the US part-time, so I paid for the handle & had it shipped to the English guy's US address for him to bring home when he next came back to the UK in May.  That was the last I heard from him.  Endless searching, including phoning him, has drawn a blank, but he is still active as the UK forum log shows he's on line most days.  I've since been told I'm not the only one he's done this to, offers to bring stuff back as a favour then disappears with the parts.

I've never been stitched up before so I guess I have to put this down as a lesson learned.  Kinda sad when 95% of other car guys are as straight as they come
Gary

1957 Ranchero

SkylinerRon

This guy has pages of waaaaay over priced parts. Reminds me of a couple of vendors at Carlisle that have carried way
overpriced parts for decades just looking for the person who needs one thing to finish a car.
The parts get shelf worn in the boxes waiting for a desperate buyer.
What a shame!

Ron.

Zapato

Quote from: Limey57 on 2015-07-26 09:51I've since been told I'm not the only one he's done this to, offers to bring stuff back as a favour then disappears with the parts.

I've never been stitched up before so I guess I have to put this down as a lesson learned.  Kinda sad when 95% of other car guys are as straight as they come

Don't understand why someone wouldn't ship overseas, money up front and custom form is no big deal plus shipping cost is on buyer. Definitely doesn't understand the concept of customer service.

You in my opinion need to OUT this guy not only on this board but on every car site you visit. If you find yourself in this situation again, I'd be more than happy to send it your way and am sure most of the guys on this board would step up and help.

Zapato

Limey57

Thanks, the plot thickens......  Turns out he suffers with bipolar disorder and takes his medication as & when he feels like it, swinging from "Mr Helpful" to "Mr Unobtainable-for-several-months" in a short space of time.  Several people are now trying to track him down, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all comes out good. Forever the optimist & all that........
Gary

1957 Ranchero