News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero w/ camping trailer

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-12-09 20:19

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

This Ranchero with an awesome camping trailer apparently is in Germany. It was posted on the '52-'59 social club on the Hamb. Heck of a duo.
Not a JPEG image...sorry
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

John Palmer

Looks like they have the same issue that I have towing with my Ranch Wagon.  They have two fender mounted mirrors, and also a top of the door frame "peep" mirror.  I have collected some old style "clamp on" accessory mirrors, but they scratch the fenders, and are hard to see out of due to vibrations going down the road.

I'm going to try a pair of small motorcycle mirrors and fabricate some mounting brackets that look stock.

SkylinerRon

Nice rig!
Would look kool w/matching whls&www.
Rich, you had to post this now I have to get to work on my 62 Scottie!

Ron.

hiball3985

Thats a cool set up. As I'm getting older I'm trying to downsize many things in my life so I have pictured a Teardrop behind mine being just right..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

reminds me....latest catalog from Speedway motors has plans available to build a teardrop trailer.  Page 406, 12 pages of blueprints. I may have found my next project!!

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-12-10 08:50
reminds me....latest catalog from Speedway motors has plans available to build a teardrop trailer.  Page 406, 12 pages of blueprints. I may have found my next project!!
I'll have to check that out, I've always wanted to build one but I really don't want another project, I'm getting lazy. I had considered buying one of the new ones but they are a little too pricey for me considering how little use it would get, I just don't seem to find the time to do much camping any more..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Speedway pn is 910-85117
If you type teardrop trailer plans into their search function on their website, nothing comes up, but it will with the pn.
Look like very rough hand drawn sketches. One of the reviews said "better plans on the internet for free"
Let's see...was it John Palmer who was our resident trailer expert??

hiball3985

I knew I should have kept the axle assembly from my Apache when I scrapped it, story of my life   :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

John Palmer

Tear Drop trailers are fun and very practical.  They can fit into a standard garage to comply with the storage rules from local HOA's (Home Owner Associations).  I have built about six of them so far, and most were the standard 4' by 8' size.  The last one I built was for my son, and was a "king size" 5' by 10', built on a custom designed frame with storage under the bed area.  We tow this trailer 300 miles into Baja Mexico each year to attend the Baja 1000 off road race.  We are not off road racers, but enjoy the event each year.

Being a "retired guy" with limited "play money", I have to look at the viability of the hobby projects that I choose to build.  You can buy a used tear drop trailer far cheaper than the cost of materials that you will buy in building your new one.  Assuming that we are talking about using a "real frame/axle", and not a Harbor Freight special, you can easily put $5K (or more) into a "nicely built" small trailer.  You will find that a small restored "canned ham" (stand up) trailers will cost about the same to rebuild, but will easily resell at two to three times the cost of a tear drop.  It's the same with doing a vintage car.  The paint, body work, upholstery, and drive train costs are all about the same, but the restored two door hard top, or convertible will out sell the four door sedan by a factor of 2X or 3X when your finished.  It's supply and demand.

The only thing needed to tow any small trailers with our 57 Fords, is to add a "proportional" electronic brake controller, which is under a $100.  You won't even know the trailer is behind you.

hiball3985

I had thought about a used teardrop but they are getting hard to come by and most that have been restored are getting fairly high prices.
For something as small as a teardrop I wouldn't even consider brakes, I think the discs on the Ranchero would be enough. I towed my Apache for years behind my 60 F100 with no trailer brakes and stock drum brakes on the truck.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Nothing easier to pull behind a car than a teardrop. Wife and I bought and rebuilt a 1947 KIT years ago. You better like who you share the berth with as there's not much room to spare.  Over on the HAMB there is a social forum ''Vintage Trailers'' devoted to all sorts of trailers. Lots of plans online. We've had a lot of fun in ours over the years. Just remember its cozy in there.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Cozy is fine with me but I'll remind her to loose a few pounds  :003: Her snoring is actually a worst problem  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Careful Jim...you're treading on dangerous ground there!! lol...UNLESS i CAN FIT A SHOWER, tv, AND A RECLINER IN THERE, i'M GOING ALONE ANYWAYS. opps sorry about the caps.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-12-10 16:25
Careful Jim...you're treading on dangerous ground there!! lol...UNLESS i CAN FIT A SHOWER, tv, AND A RECLINER IN THERE, i'M GOING ALONE ANYWAYS. opps sorry about the caps.
I just call 'em like I see 'em :003: We have always traveled light, I don't need the home comforts..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Doesnt  look to me like she needs to lose any pounds . I understand the snoring all too well.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72