News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero projects needs

Started by jhicks5, 2019-05-28 11:00

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

Our '57 Ranchero project is moving along, with the body in primer and engine rebuild almost complete. Since this car was a mild resto-mod previously, there are certain factory original items that are "masked."  I prefer to get this car pretty close to factory original, though I know sometimes that might even differ from factory to factory.   The main body color will be Colonial White with Starmist Blue below the side trim and on the roof top.  Interior will be the factory medium blue and white.  We intend to drive this car, though not a daily driver.

1) What is the correct color of package tray in front of the rear window?  Body color (white), matching the bed and tops of fenders?  Or, should it match the interior trim color (Blue)? 
2) What color is the (vertical) area behind the seat below the package tray?  Body color?  Is there any other trim or hardware back there?  Perhaps vinyl to cover the metal panel or access hole under the bed, or is it just left as metal painted body color?
3) What is correct color of the metal rear corner trim panels?  I assume they should match the door window surround trim (blue in my case).

4) Is the rear seat track bolt the body mount bolt?  This car previously had after-market seats which were mounted elsewhere. 

5) Suggestions for finish on door strikers and tailgate stop arms?  Just clean them up and clear them perhaps?

6) What have others done to seal the bed insert?  I know water will probably get in there anyway, and the insert would need to be removed to access sending unit, etc.
Thanks
Jim in Minnesota

djfordmanjack

@4 yes. they are actually shoulder bolts to prevent from quenching the body mount rubbers ( I think these 2 are squarish, under the floorboards). the frt ones are studs that thread into slip in nuts in the floor brace.

Quote from: jhicks5 on 2019-05-28 11:00
4) Is the rear seat track bolt the body mount bolt?  This car previously had after-market seats which were mounted elsewhere. 

here is a pic of the bench mounting hardware.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: jhicks5 on 2019-05-28 11:006) What have others done to seal the bed insert?  I know water will probably get in there anyway, and the insert would need to be removed to access sending unit, etc.

Jim the bed panel was not sealed from the factory.  There are holes in the rear floor pans to drain water.  The front edge was designed to let water into the area under the bed.  The passenger compartment was sealed (I use that word lightly) along the front edge on both sides of the insert and in the depression the insert set down into.

Now having said all that, I have used plumbers putty to seal the insert on two 60s Rancheros I built.  I just rolled it into thin ropes and laid it in the tray before the insert went in.  I wrapped it around the bolt holes as well.  It stays very pliable and the excess that squeezes out cane be cleaned up with grease/tar remover.  All of this was done after painting was complete.  It does not harden so removing the insert is fairly easy.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I'm a little baffled about #4. I when I first got the ranchero my rear bolts were missing from track, who ever installed the seat last didn't put them in. The best I remember the bolt went into a caged nut that was on a small L bracket attached to the frame. I won't say I'm 100% right as my memory is getting more like Swiss cheese every day  :005: I don't know when I will have it jacked up again to check.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: jhicks5 on 2019-05-28 11:00
5) Suggestions for finish on door strikers and tailgate stop arms?  Just clean them up and clear them perhaps?

Just remembered I have a picture of the latch on the Edsel.  I finish the latches with clear coat after a good wire brushing with brass wire wheels.  Same with the screws.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

Jim you are somewhat right. there isn't any of the typical donut body mount rubbers under the rear bench seat bolts, but a square rubber pad, and the bolts are technically speaking, still body mount bolts. they are different from the rest of the body mount bolts.
see pics of area when I repaired the floorboards. the rubber pad is below the open and cleaned out floor brace ( crossmember)

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-05-29 09:53
I'm a little baffled about #4. I when I first got the ranchero my rear bolts were missing from track, who ever installed the seat last didn't put them in. The best I remember the bolt went into a caged nut that was on a small L bracket attached to the frame. I won't say I'm 100% right as my memory is getting more like Swiss cheese every day  :005: I don't know when I will have it jacked up again to check.

hiball3985

Yikes, a rubber pad, I must be missing that too  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jhicks5

Thanks for responses on my questions 4-6.  Hopefully someone with an original '57 Ranchero will weigh on 1-3. 

Attached are a couple of photos of current status.  Engine is a 312 and will have Carter 4 bbl, Fordomatic. 
Jim

57chero

Questions 1-3 should be the blue interior color, my Ranchero has the same color combination as yours. My interior was originally blue but I changed it to the Custom 300 gray style.

djfordmanjack

Beautifully detailed and clean floorboards ! Don't forget to put drain holes in your replacement rocker panels !

Quote from: jhicks5 on 2019-05-29 16:31
Thanks for responses on my questions 4-6.  Hopefully someone with an original '57 Ranchero will weigh on 1-3. 
Attached are a couple of photos of current status.  Engine is a 312 and will have Carter 4 bbl, Fordomatic. 
Jim

hiball3985

I only dream that I could have done a frame off like that, just super.. Were did you find the body mounts for the ranchero type?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jhicks5

djfordmanjack - I have read quite a bit about rockers and how to treat replacement rockers at this site and others.  Some say seal them tight so water can't get in or out, but I think that water (condensation) can drain from the roof, through the from pillar and down into the rocker.   Therefore some kind of rocker drain holes are needed. Perhaps the originals were "louvered" holes every 6 inches or so?  Your advice on rocker drain hole location?

hiball3985 - I used the Dennis Carpenter mounting kit and modified as needed.

57chero - Thanks for passing the info and photo along.  Your Ranchero looks great
Jim

KYBlueOval

You can purchase a Ranchero specific, body mount kit from Concourse. I did. I also recall that they sell the individual parts and pieces if you were to need something.

djfordmanjack

yes you are right, Jim (Hicks). the rockers are open to collect condensation from above, so they definitely need to have drains. yes the originals had tiny 'louvers' facing the rear. the rockers on my 4dr wgn are still all og and I can take measurements if you want.
I see that your lower a posts are solid, where orginally they have a ca 1-1/2" rubber plug to the front. your repair seems solid and that doesn't leak any dirt and moisture, so that is good. the og design rubberplugs are ideal though, if you want to put some paint, wax, oil or additional corrosion protection like Mike Sanders aso. they would make easy access as long as the fenders are not bolted on. you could also cut smaller access holes (3/4"?) with little rubber plugs for that reason.
How are you going to fasten the lower corners of your front fenders, with no hole present ?
Guenter

Quote from: jhicks5 on 2019-05-30 07:08
djfordmanjack - I have read quite a bit about rockers and how to treat replacement rockers at this site and others.  Some say seal them tight so water can't get in or out, but I think that water (condensation) can drain from the roof, through the from pillar and down into the rocker.   Therefore some kind of rocker drain holes are needed. Perhaps the originals were "louvered" holes every 6 inches or so?  Your advice on rocker drain hole location?

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2019-05-30 11:00
You can purchase a Ranchero specific, body mount kit from Concourse. I did. I also recall that they sell the individual parts and pieces if you were to need something.
Thank you, I'll check again. Las time I looked I didn't think they had them.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang