News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Tailgate Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2020-01-02 20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I recently re-installed the tailgate to check the fit and check how the Stainless  Steel Trim fits and aligns with the curved pieces on either side. In the process I notice that there is a "Dimple" on each corner of the tailgate, on the side facing the truck bed. They are located just below the Stainless Steel Trim, and on both the Right and Left side. In the photo below, the narrow Vertical Area with the single Dimple is what I'm asking about. It is about the size of a Dime.
What are these Dimples for?
Thanks
John

57chero

When the same tailgate is on a wagon there is a trim piece that runs across the inside top edge with 5 screws those dimples are for the 2 outer screws. The inside tailgate panel is also different on a wagon and doesn't go up as high as the ranchero panel so that upper trim piece fills in the gap. Hope that makes sense. Maybe there's a wagon guy out there that can confirm this.

djfordmanjack

that is absolutely correct. the inner tailgate molding on the wagon is about 2-3" wide and has (5) countersunk Philips head screws. obviously the recess for the countersunk screw is present on the Ranchero Tailgate, even though it isn't used. Am I correct that also on Ranchero tailgates the openings for the upper (wagon) tailgate latches are still present and hidden under the SS belt line trim.

KYBlueOval

DJ........you are correct regarding the upper tailgate latch openings. They are there and are covered ,first by a painted trim piece and that piece is covered with the SS trim piece.
Thanks for your reply
John