HELP! Frustrated, perplexed and looking for suggestions.

Started by BBoswell, 2014-10-28 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

4thgen57

You need a set of Chassis ears. they clip on the suspension, drive train or anywhere you want and are hooked to headphones in the car so you can listen to up to 6 different spots one at a time while driving. they are pricey but if you can find a local shop that has a set and would diagnose it for you.

djfordmanjack

fresh air fan's to the front mid passenger side, maybe body flexes during drive and causes the fan to drag.
inner fenders and dash are prone to squeak on a 57 but only intermitting.

rmk57

Flexplate rubbing something?  Raise the car on jack stands and run it, see if a helper can narrow it down. And I don't recommend having someone lay underneath it while performing this.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

BBoswell

These are all great suggestions. We may have found the problem, or a majority of the problem, this afternoon. A friend suggested it might be the vacuum modulator on the transmission. Sounded far fetched to me but it was only $12 and I'm grasping at straws at this point so we changed it. I drove it some 50 miles this afternoon and the horrible noise appears to be gone. There is a faint whistle noise on acceleration but that could a vacuum line that we missed when we put new vacuum lines on it. I'll know more once we get another sunny day and I can go for a longer drive. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.