News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Retractable body length

Started by RICH MUISE, 2014-05-22 07:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A few years back we had a discusion on the length of the retractable's rear quarters. At that time we had some Fairlane 2 dr hardtop members and a R-HT owner measure the length from the door jamb all the way back to the outer rear  edge of the tailight housing, and the dimensions arrived at were within a 1/16 one to the other. The general concensus at that time was that it was the shorter roof of the retractable that made it look like the rear quarter was longer, when in fact it wasn't.
Fast forward a few years...last month when I was in Colorado visiting with Al (57DOHC), we got talking about that subject when he showed me pics of a retractable he restored years ago, including some rear quarter rust repair. Al told me he learned from that experience that the retracts were in fact longer by 3 inches or so if I remember correctly.
Yesterday, on a thread we were running on frames. SkylinerRon mentioned the retract's frame was different because the body was longer.
Sounds like time to open that discussion again!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

We talked about this once before a couple of years ago.  I had a 500 2dr ht and a Retract sitting side by side.  They were the exact same length.  The Retractable looks longer due to the sail on the roof being further forward and the "formal" roof line.  The rear seat is also forward and more upright then the 2dr.  I no longer have the 2dr but will once again measure the side from the door jam to the seam of the quarter and the tail light housing.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Mornin' Bill...thanks for posting that...you know, my old age, sometimes I like to double check my memory banks!

Ford Blue blood

Know what you mean, just got back from upper WI and the "tech black out" zone.  I will post the measurement as soon as I get the laundry done and pick up "stupid" (the cat) from the cat house......

found the post....:<)

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=2146.30
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

suede57ford

I couldn't stand not knowing.

I have both a '57 Retract and '57 Ragtop parked next to each other right here at the house.   

The Retractable quarter is just over two inches longer than then the ragtop.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

I always thought the Retract is longer but, I haven't measured them or owned a 57 other than  Retracts for decades so I went digging in my paper collection. According to the 57 owners manual Fairlanes/500's are 207.7" long and according to the Skyliner sales brochure it is 210.8".
So 3.1" longer. I haven't had to replace a lower rear quarter yet but, guys from the Retract club complain about the repops being 3" too short.
There could be an inch in adjustment of the bumpers so 2-4" longer is possible.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Ron...that would be right in line with what Al was telling me when he did replace a rear quarter years ago..had to use a 3"filler strip.

65kcode

Its been my understanding that the rear quarter is also taller, to make up for the roof portion going into the trunk on the retractable.

ems customer service

here is our official answer

from the back edge of the door to the center of rear wheel  2door hardtop 500 series and converts and retracs are the same

from the center of the rear wheel to the back tailpan ( end of 1/4 panels)  the retrac's are about 4 inches longer then the 2door hardtop or convert.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the input...I guess there's a reason after all they look longer.