News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

steering the 57

Started by glenmichael, 2019-03-06 06:56

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, I have been enjoying the pleasure of now driving the 57 and smiling at the looks it draws.. When moving down the road it's nothing but fun, only problem is from a stop a 90 degree turn makes me wish I ate more spinach!!! I have read through the pages, still confused, I need help.. 460 with Crites headers and I would love to keep the stock steering wheel. I could use some advice...

RICH MUISE

Way back when I first got my '57 with manual everything, doing something about the steering was number one on my list! Not only the manual part, but the number of turns to do it.......parking was no easy chore.
The two main choices are rack and pinion or Borgenson. You'll need to do some research to find out if either of those options will work for you.....I think I read Borgenson cannot be used with some tranny setups, or maybe it was a colum shifter. Others with better memories will know, or check their website. I think there are certain limitations with Rack and pinion as well, in that there were some engines that it could not be used with, and I'm thinking it was FEs.
Not much help except giving stuff you need to check into.
If both options are available to you, I now would probably chose Borgenson pwr. steering box over R & P as you won't have that loss of turning radius that the rack gives you. Both setups are a quicker ratio. I do love mine over oem.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich has it nailed.  You really have three choices.  Use the stock power steering set up (some what expensive), go with the rack & pinion (just a little less expensive), or go with the Borgeson.  This is the cheapest in the long run.  Both the rack and the Borgeson will require steering column modifications.  Rich is correct, both the rack and the Borgeson can not be used with a manual column shifter.  Given you have the 460/C6 the column shifter can be modified to work with both the systems.

I have installed both in various cars, if you were to come to my place for the work (back in the day) I would recommend the Borgeson given the quality and the correctness of fit.  It is as close to a bolt in as you can come to aside from the column mods.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

I have to wonder if the Borgeson box will fit next to a 460 without contacting it like it did on my 390's stock exhaust manifolds.
I'm certainly not a strong armed guy by any means but I've never had any trouble steering an old non power steer car.  Of course you can't expect them to turn easily without the wheels in motion.  Just ain't gonna happen.
Many years ago I was pleased to find the these 'new' radial tires sure made steering my '67 Mustang easier.

I know it really helps a lot to get a much better grip on these old skinny steering wheels if you use one of these steering wheel wraps.
I have seen them at an Oreilly's auto parts store.
Or, ... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=superior+sport+grip&_sacat=6000   

lalessi1

One of the first things I did when I got mine was change to a '58 box. That reduced steering effort noticeably. Later I put in a Borgeson box. I love it but the column mods were a real pain. I would do it again. I have an FE in my car. 
Lynn

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, Just looking and learning, Borgeson p/s conversion-$609... rag joint-$112, and I think that's just the start  if I go that route? Here Spinach is $2.68 a bag does that stuff still work if your over 65? I was hoping someone changed the steering box with a 460 with 2 inch headers in the way.. Now I have 1/4 inch between the edge of the box and one tube.. I do not mind spending the money and I enjoy the work would just feel better knowing it will work! There are many parts of the 57 FORD I love and do not wish to change the steering wheel is one.. I know the answer is out there.

rmk57

If you decide to go with a Borgeson box and your handy with a welder I would cut and re-weld the rear header tube. Really wouldnt be that difficult as their all slip together tubes on Crites headers.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

If you have the stock 57 box the Borgeson is smaller and should fit no problem.  There was a thread about this and it's dimensions earlier.  Found it....

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7687.15
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2019-03-08 13:41
If you have the stock 57 box the Borgeson is smaller and should fit no problem.  There was a thread about this and it's dimensions earlier.  Found it....
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7687.15
I thought we ended up with the Borg being near or at the same width as a '57 box.  But as I mentioned in that thread a stock '58 box must be 1.5" to 2" shorter from the frame to the top of the box than the Borg box.
Even though a '57 box is a bit different than a '58 box I'm assuming that they would be very close to the same height.
Probably why FEs fit fine with stock exhaust & the Borg hits it.

Quote from: Tom S on 2018-12-10 04:35... lalessi1, aka Lynn, has an FE with FPA headers & does have decent clearance to the Borgenson box.
This short thread covers it.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7501.msg63896#msg63896
After rereading one of his posts there I think I'll try his method of moving the engine over with a 1/2" thick spacer between the block & motor mount. ...

Cecil

What a great thread.  At one time I had a '59 Ford wagon without power steering and I want to avoid that experience if at all possible with my new '57.  The engine that will be going in was from a pickup with power steering so as I learn more about the car I'm gonna have a lot of questions about how to keep this old body (mine, not the car) from wearing out too quickly.
"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you." - Brother Dave Gardner

hiball3985

Quote from: Cecil on 2019-04-03 01:41
What a great thread.  At one time I had a '59 Ford wagon without power steering and I want to avoid that experience if at all possible with my new '57.  The engine that will be going in was from a pickup with power steering so as I learn more about the car I'm gonna have a lot of questions about how to keep this old body (mine, not the car) from wearing out too quickly.
After reading this it struck me as strange. There was no power steering on pickups until 1965 and the Y ended in 1964. Maybe the truck engine had been used in a passenger car previously by some one?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Cecil

Darn good question.  I'll have to go next door tomorrow to look at the engine again.  Any hints or tips on how to identify just what it is would be very much appreciated.

hiball3985

Pictures would help and the block casting number located above the oil filter. After this many years anything could have been switched..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Cecil

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-04-04 07:06
....and the block casting number located above the oil filter.

Thanks a bunch for the tip.  It may come in handy!

FORDNUT

I am looking at purchasing 292 3 speed car and will go with the Borgeson box. I have modified the steering column in automatics before but I read here where it cannot be done with the column shift. I have not found the answer in the posts. What column has anybody used? There must be a Ford unit out there that can be adapted.
At my age I am not required to act mature.