News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tubular Upper Control Arm ?

Started by rar1947, 2019-09-15 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic

rar1947

I?ve got Fatman tubular upper control arms that developed a nasty squeak a short time after installation. I had it in recently for an alignment at a reputable shop that works a lot on classic and hot rods. They said the squeak was due to these upper control arm bushings and tightened them up. For a while this worked and the squeak was gone under most conditions. However., the noise has returned. My question is, does anyone know how tight this but should be? I can turn it pretty easily with a wrench. It?s Sunday otherwise I?d be calling Fatman or the alignment shop but figured someone here might have some good info.

Thanks,
Ryan

gasman826

If the bushings are poly, grease them.  One of the common complaints of poly bushing is that they squeak.   Do what FATMAN says.  They will last until tomorrow.

jwtdvm

With your tubular arms I was wondering how much caster you were able to get???

lalessi1

Quote from: jwtdvm on 2019-10-18 14:21
With your tubular arms I was wondering how much caster you were able to get???

Lynn

rar1947

Sorry for the delay, its maxed out at 4 degrees caster. FATMAN said to Lube them with a silicone based lube but they are still squeezing. I think it?s actually more of a creak than squeak and only  seems to happen right as I come to a complete stop or right when taking off from a stop. Probably only time I can hear it though. Ball joints have been greased numerous times but it?s still there. Not horrible but I still hear it.

hiball3985

I think how much caster would also be relevant to which spindles you are using? Are you using stock ones? I can't get enough with the Granadas
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rar1947

lalessi1

I think caster is independent of the spindles. It is (I believe) the angle between the upper and lower ball joints relative to the ground when viewed from the side of the car. 4 degrees is pretty good, I have 3 with a lot of messing around with a mix of '59 parts. gasman mentioned that stock upper control arms will hit the frame if they are moved rearward. I noticed mine seem to hitting, I didn't think they were at first.   
Lynn

hiball3985

Yes you are correct Lynn. The problem with non stock spindles like my Granada is to get more caster you start loosing caster, I spent hours on the alignment rack pulling my hair out. The original Granada probably had something like 0 & 0 caster/camber so grandma could drive it easily. If I had know this before assembling the front end I could had corrected it but I don't feel like taking it apart again, I'm just getting to old  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

"to get more caster you start loosing caster,"........................is that what you meant to say?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-10-21 10:32
"to get more caster you start loosing caster,"........................is that what you meant to say?
NO  :005: Some times my thoughts don't transfer to my fingers :003: You start loosing camber..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang