News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aerostar Springs Re-Visited

Started by Ace Spades, 2020-02-05 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Spades

One of the things I'm planning on my Custom 300 is the Aerostar springs to lower the front a bit. After gathering part numbers from other threads on this, I started price checking. From what I've found, the best price for springs is through Advance @ $70.99 or $56.79 (w/ OL discount) & free shipping. The KYB KG4515 shocks are 22.85 ea @ Amazon w/ free 2 day shipping if you have Prime. The springs @ Amazon run a little more than Advance @ $78.54 w/2 day shipping. And as an added bonus the Monroe 31125 rear shocks run $23.86 ea @ Amazon. Hope this helps some like me that's just getting started with their 1st 57/
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting that info. We often say this forum, unlike others, has to have redundancy because we're one year-one make. Unless there have been particularly good threads in the past on a subject, members are rarely told to use the search feature. It's also nice to see the newbies posting!!
Best place to buy the rear springs is McVeigh's. Have you found our listing of suppliers for '57 Ford parts? The biggest single item for improving handling is a HD front sway bar. Occasionally Rockauto has stuff for our '57's, and I usually find them the cheapest. In my case with the 4.6 drivetrain, they carry alot of stuff I've needed.
Rich.
BTW, on another post you mentioned seeing familiar names..........not sure if you figured it out, but on the Hamb my tag is Texas57. lol, my posts are recognizable because I tend to ramble on.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ace Spades

Just trying to be helpful, lol. I had noticed that a lot of the posts were a few years old and it seemed a good idea to give some update price info. I tend to try to go through the threads to find subjects of interest and have noticed almost no mention to go use the search feature. I'm not a big posted but, will chime in when i feel my input is useful or when needing more clarification.
I've found the suppliers list and plan to use as needed. Thanks for the heads up on the McVeigh's. I'll look into them when i'm ready to do the rear springs. Rock Auto is definitely a better priced source than most places. Right now I'm keeping the factory drivetrain though I may upgrade the transmission to an AOD further down the road.
I actually placed you as Texas57 from the HAMB when i first saw your avatar. You ride is unmistakable.
Dave

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Ace Spades on 2020-02-06 07:28
You ride is unmistakable.
Dave

Dave, that is well said. Rich' 57 is a great ride.
also saw your blue Custom avatar over at the 56 Crown Victoria station wagon build thread. it's a small world... :002:
not often on the Hamb. I like all these dedicated 57 guys here much better :002: welcome to the club !

Ace Spades

Who all have used the Monroe 5821 on the front of their 57 with the Aerostqr springs? pros/cons. Also has anyone been able to cross reference the Monroe 31125 to KYB?

lalessi1

Look at RockAuto. They have KYB listed as well as Monroe. Stock shocks are fine with Aerostar springs. I am using Bilsteins on my car, a little pricey.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1957,custom,4.8l+292cid+v8,1435671,suspension,shock+absorber,7556
Lynn

Ace Spades

After some looking I did find a KYB # for the rear shocks, KG5517 @ Rock Auto for about $30 ea. Biggest difference is the KYB extended length is 17.85 and Monroe is 20.750, compressed length KYB 10.91 Monroe 12.250.

SkylinerRon

Gabriel is a better low price shock than Monroe. For a few bucks more Koni is better.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Ace......The extended length is the important feature here...the reason many of us go to the '56 shocks is the extended length that allows the rear end to drop down lower when the car is jacked up by the frame. Those shorter extended length shocks will mean the shocks will probably have to be unbolted just to change a tire if you're running anything in the way of oversized tires compared to oem. Many of us are running close to 10" tires in the back, and the '56 shocks allow us normal tire changes.
Yes, the compressed length is smaller also, but unless you're running a wagon or Ranchero with heavy loads, that shouldn't be an issue. I have not heard any reports of the shocks bottoming out or damage to upper shock mounting bracket when using the '56 shocks.

Ace Spades

Rich,,Just wanting to get the right info from those that have done this before me. The main reason I joined is the amount of knowledge that I see in all technical questions. I see the point on the longer extended length as my plan is to use a tire in the 10" range. Not the biggest fan of Monroe but, they solve the tire change problem. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm ready to order the shocks and springs in preparation for my first mods on my Fordor. 

RICH MUISE

I've had the Monroe's on my car for 34k miles now, and I'm satisfied with them. I will say I really have nothing to compare them to, but no issues, and the ride was good. I think I probably should be replacing them and the front K & B's pretty soon though, but just normal maintenance after all the miles (and 4 years). The car does not ride quite as good as it did when everything was new, and leans a tad more than it did, but to be expected?
Jim Nolan was the one who did the original research and came up with the '56 shock usage. He drag raced his Fairlane with racing tires after driving it to the track with street tires, and was understandably tired of having to undo the shocks to let the differential down far enough to do the tire changes at the track.

Ace Spades

That's a good enough endorsement for me. The test of time works for me.
Looks like I have some work ahead of me next weekend. Ordered shocks last night from Rock Auto, should be here Tuesday. Springs were ordered from Advance and were shipped today. Now to get at least one bay in the shop cleared to work on Mz Dayz. Next project after this is wheels and tires.