iS THERE A AFTER MARKET COLUMN THAT WILL WORK WITH BORGESON STEERING BOX

Started by BigBird, 2020-07-11 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBird

I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1957 FORD FAIRLANE 500 CLUB SEDAN. IT WAS COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLED AND NOW IT HAS A 302 ENGINE WITH AOD TRANSMISSION, AND HAS A BORGESON POWER STEERING BOX INSTALLED. WHAT I WAS TOLD,"AN EASY FIX IS TO PUT A IDIDIT STEERING COLUMN IN". WHAT HAVE SOME OF YOU USED? WHAT WORKS. IT SOUNDS LIKE THAT WAS A EASY ANSWER FROM THE PREVIOUS OWNER.
BigBird

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum.
You should get plenty of responses on this, many of the guys have gone Borgenson with a variety of colums, including the stock '57 column. I can't help, Borgensons were not available when I made the decision to go rack and pinion.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Just about any aftermarket column will work.  Borgeson, Iidit, Flaming River all can direct you to a column,  any rag joint that will mate to any stock column (with modifications) to the box or provide all the stuff to make it up.  The stock column can be modified but requires another mod to keep the horn button.  58 and columns work better.  An aftermarket column can be ordered with various OEM wiring connectors, length and diameter.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

For my Borgeson conversion I used a stock '57 manual column, but I have a floor shifter. I wanted a rag joint but I had to build a box on the floor to enclose it. I used a '59 turn signal switch and steering wheel for the horn and a 58 shaft with a "double D" machined on the cut end. You can position the steering wheel where you want it. Stock shift linkage can be used if you use a steel coupler, no floor mods required. the stock shaft work too. the horn is another issue but the 59 parts will fix that.

Look at this post

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=1737.msg53929#msg53929

BTW if you search Borgeson you will find a ton of stuff on this subject.
Lynn