News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Helical spring around fifties shock- purpose?

Started by Don57, 2020-08-12 08:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Don57

I asked a few friends recently what they think the purpose of the helically wound spring is that was on OEM Ford rear shocks in the fifties and maybe into the sixties. Friends came up with two possibilities:
1. Reduce the impact of stones hitting the shock and,...
2. By adding the helix coil, it might act as a "heat Sink" and reduce the temperature of the fluid in the shock.
As you know, the fluid gets hot if the car is going over bumpy roads. The heat would be mostly near the bottom where the valving restriction is.
I called Gabriel Tech line and they are trying to go back in history and see if they have any credible information- no response yet. I
Please let me know what you think, and also please send me a note via Email if you have time.
My email is fast427@frontier.com
I've tried to attach a photo but I am not sure it is actually going to attach. If you want to see a photo please send me an email and I'll respond.
Thanks, Don A

RICH MUISE

I have no idea, but welcome to the forum.
My only thought is maybe when it is installed, the top of the spring is inside the top/outer part of the shock and helps keep road rash and  mud out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

thomasso

57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Don57

Thanks for the reply (No. 1). I hope a few others will also offer their thoughts. Don A

suede57ford

Don,

I bet you are right about it being a heat sink for the shock. 

Pat
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Fabulous50s

I'd think No1 and/or No2. Depending on what Ford's road course revealed.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.