News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dot 5 vs others

Started by bagboy, 2009-03-05 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

bagboy

Anyone had any problem with Dot 5 in a clean system?

shopratwoody

It seems I read it's not recommended
I hate blocksanding!

canadian_ranchero

i have used DOT 5 in my 1950 meteor for about 10 years with no problems.the problem with DOT 5 is that under very high fluid temperatures it acts like there air in the brakes and cause loss of braking and or low pedal.i don't race my meteor[stock not safe]i just go to shows and drive around so my brakes never get hot enough to cause a problem.the other thing i like about DOT5 is that it does not absorb water so the brake hydraulics last a lot longer and will not seize up from siting.hope this helps. :006:     

4banger

I use the dot 5 silicone for years with no problems. Doesn't collect moisture,will not damage the paint. Now if your going 100 mph or so, then you might get that sponge feel when stopping with drum brakes. I used it drag racing and had no problems. Circle racing you would have the sponge feel. It cost more but has more plus's than dot 3. I would use it in a heartbeat.

wildhog

I ALSO HAVE USED THE SILICONE BRAKE FLUID FOR YEARS. HERE IN THE GREAT MID WEST WITH OUR 6 MONTHS OF WINTER L.O.L. OUR CARS SIT MORE THAN THEY ARE DRIVEN. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD ,I NEEDED SOME ON A TRIP AND THE ONLY PLACE I COULD FIND IT WAS A HARLEY-DAVIDSON DEALER AND HAD TO BUY IT BUY THE PINT.$$$$ NO W I CARRY A BOTTLE WITH ME . TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

bagboy

Thanks,Iv'e got dot5 in my 57RW,went 12yrs befor ohaul.Also in my former 55 chey racer [13.20@105 street tires].Some vendors still rag on dot 5 for their brake kits.can't see it tho.