News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hydro-Boost Recommendation

Started by KYBlueOval, 2016-09-23 05:03

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

In the recent past I read the posts on using a Hydro-Boost on '57's and that is what I'm going to do on my Ranchero.
My question is this.........is there a better year Mustang, or other Ford Product  to get this Hyro-Boost from that has a better fit on our '57's?
Besides the actual Hyro-boost what additional parts do I want from the donor vehicle? I know I'll need some exotic fittings to make all of this work with the R&P. When I get to the point of the actual installation, I'll be back on the forum looking for a tutorial.
Thanks in advance,
John

RICH MUISE

John...I'm going from memory, but from a Mustang donor car, I believe 2001 up is what you want. Mine came off a 2002. The Master cylinder on the older ones have a smaller diameter piston. I got the proportioning valve when I pulled mine from the donor car, but ended up not using it as I went with a Wilwood.
Rich K used a hydoboost unit off a different ford, as Clusterbuster did. Personally, I like the other-than-Mustang master cylinder looks that their's have.....more like a traditional master. If I ever have an issue with my hydroboost, I will switch to whatever it was they used for that reason.
The Mustang donor cars are hard to find btw, as the hydroboost units were only on the GT's, cobras, etc,

edited for clarity
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

I have a hydroboost out of a 2000 mustang gt. What would really be helpful is a simple tutorial on their function for guys like me whose mastery of brake systems is at best stuck in the mid 80s.

Zap -   :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-23 09:27
John...I'm going from memory, but from a Mustang donor car, I believe 2001 up is what you want. Mine came off a 2002. The Master cylinder on the older ones have a smaller diameter piston. I got the proportioning valve when I pulled mine from the donor car, but ended up not using it as I went with a Wilwood.
Rich K used a hydoboost unit off a different ford, as Clusterbuster did. Personally, I like the other-than-Mustang master cylinder looks that their's have.....more like a traditional master. If I ever have an issue with my hydroboost, I will switch to whatever it was they used for that reason.
The Mustang donor cars are hard to find btw, as the hydroboost units were only on the GT's, cobras, etc,

edited for clarity
Thanks Rich. I was hoping you would give a reply.
Maybe Rich K and Clusterbuster will see this and reply as well. I'm guessing that the M/C looks issue is a plastic reservoir vs. a metal reservoir? Is that correct?
Thank you!
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Zapato on 2016-09-23 09:43
I have a hydroboost out of a 2000 mustang gt. What would really be helpful is a simple tutorial on their function for guys like me whose mastery of brake systems is at best stuck in the mid 80s.

Zap -   :unitedstates:
I could use a tutorial on exactly how this system works as well.
John

RICH MUISE

I don't have a clue how the internals work...I put my foot on the brake pedal, car stops...all I needed to know, lol, and I don't have a clue how a vacumn booster works either. Seriously, there's gotta be something on the net somewhere.
Edit: found one that should be good...1/2 long don't have time right now to watch, but I've seen other videos by this guy...seems to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-PKBbb9yLg

canadian_ranchero

i also used a 2002 mustang booster on my wagon.works really well.the booster uses presser from the power steering system to assist the brakes

clusterbuster

I don't know how the booster works internally either but I know when you depress the brake pedal it releases the high pressure from the power steering pump to apply pressure to the master cylinder. The guy that I bought my after market unit from said there is not much to them. They are not hard to hook up, as you remove both lines from your power steering box and run a new pressure line to the pressure port on the Hydroboost. You then run a new line from the pressure outlet side of the Hydroboost down to the pressure port on the power steering box. You then Tee the other port on the steering box and run a low pressure line down from the low pressure port on the Hydroboost  to the Tee, and from the other side of the Tee a low pressure line goes back to the power steering pump. I didn't remove any fluid lines from my master cylinder, so it was very simple to bleed the unit by just moving the steering wheel from stop to stop to get all the air out. I first over filled the power steering pump with fluid and cranked the engine for about 10 seconds with the coil wire out so the engine wouldn't start. The pump took most all the fluid and then I topped off the fluid. One other thing I did was add a power steering filter to the small return hose about seven inches from the outlet. They recommend the filter no closer than 5 inches from the outlet. I purchased the hose kit on Ebay and it comes with all the needed fittings. I am pleased as punch with the way the brakes work now.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2016-09-24 16:24
I don't know how the booster works internally either but I know when you depress the brake pedal it releases the high pressure from the power steering pump to apply pressure to the master cylinder. The guy that I bought my after market unit from said there is not much to them. They are not hard to hook up, as you remove both lines from your power steering box and run a new pressure line to the pressure port on the Hydroboost. You then run a new line from the pressure outlet side of the Hydroboost down to the pressure port on the power steering box. You then Tee the other port on the steering box and run a low pressure line down from the low pressure port on the Hydroboost  to the Tee, and from the other side of the Tee a low pressure line goes back to the power steering pump. I didn't remove any fluid lines from my master cylinder, so it was very simple to bleed the unit by just moving the steering wheel from stop to stop to get all the air out. I first over filled the power steering pump with fluid and cranked the engine for about 10 seconds with the coil wire out so the engine wouldn't start. The pump took most all the fluid and then I topped off the fluid. One other thing I did was add a power steering filter to the small return hose about seven inches from the outlet. They recommend the filter no closer than 5 inches from the outlet. I purchased the hose kit on Ebay and it comes with all the needed fittings. I am pleased as punch with the way the brakes work now.
Many thank sir. Do you recall what the original application was for your after market booster?
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-09-24 10:05
I don't have a clue how the internals work...I put my foot on the brake pedal, car stops...all I needed to know, lol, and I don't have a clue how a vacumn booster works either. Seriously, there's gotta be something on the net somewhere.
Edit: found one that should be good...1/2 long don't have time right now to watch, but I've seen other videos by this guy...seems to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-PKBbb9yLg
Thanks Rich..........the video shows an installation of a Bosch HyroBoost on a truck.

clusterbuster

No I don't know the original application, but I have seen quite a few aftermarket ones that look the exact same. The only thing different is the cowl mounting plate that they affix to the booster. One thing I would rather have had was the accumulator on the drivers side instead of having it close to the engine valve cover and exhaust manifold. I have seen some with the accumulator on the side next to the left fender.

RICH MUISE

Sorry about the video, as I said I didn't have time to watch it, it just looked promising.
I do believe there are hydroboosts with different configurations of the components within the unit itself. As far as orientation of the different components, I believe some are available with the hoses on the bottom, which I had commented on in the past I thought would be a neater look, but I think that may have been what Rich K used on his recent install, and had issues with those hoses and his exhaust and/or steering. That issue I think depends on particular vehicles. There is no way the position of my exhaust or steering would have been a problem with the 4.6 and R&P.....the heads, yes, but on his install with the oem v-8 and oem steering, the hoses on the downside was an issue.

gasman826

The orientation of the accumulator (right side or left side) and the hoses (top or bottom) is selected by mounting the booster up-side down or not.

This discussion should be moved to Technical\Power Boosters so the information is easily accessed for future reference.  Good information but it has been discussed before.

clusterbuster

Good information on mounting upside down if wanted, didn't know that. I am glad this issue was brought up here and I see that many have viewed the comments.