News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auto transmision ?

Started by outcruisen, 2009-06-29 01:41

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi again.. Now up to the work on the aut transmision.. I am running the standard auto without the overdrive..

Can anyone shed light on what the actual transmission is, and where I can source the front and rear seals.

Thanking you

Outcruisen

Hoosier Hurricane

What is the car, and is the transmission original to it?  John

outcruisen

Its a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Victoria Hardtop with the original automatic transmission in it without the overdrive..

Cheers

Hoosier Hurricane

Front and rear seals are available at NAPA, probably other stores.  They may not list a '57, but through '64 cruisomatic (but not the C4) seals would be the same.  Also, the '57 converter is a two piece affair held together with bolts.  If you take it apart, there is a large O ring type seal between the two halves.  That can also leak.  With the trans out would be a good time to replace that seal also.  fJohn

outcruisen

Looks to me as it has an after market converter as it is a 1 piece unit and is pretty new.. (The previous owner just confirmed it has been changed).

The auto itself seems to have a cast iron centre body and cast alloy bell housing and rear extension housing.. I am a little confused if this would make it the Cruisomatic or the C4.. Or are you saying that the same front and rear seal will fit both?

Cheers

Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

The cast iron center makes it a Cruiso.  The aluminum bell housing, if it is original to the transmission, makes it a '61-'62 trans.  Earlier ones had cast iron bellhousings.  The C4 seals will probably not fit.

Jim

Their should be a part number on the old seals and any bearing house should be able to match with a correct fit.thanks Jim

Ford Blue blood

Could be a FMX?  Mine (the FMX in my 36 Chevy) has an aluminum bell and tail with a cast iron body.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

Bill:

What engine is in the '36.  The FMXs behind small blocks and big blocks had aluminum bells, the only Y Block aluminum bells were in '61-'62, and FMXs weren't built then.  John

tarheel57

Maybe this might help.One way of telling the difference in ford transmisions is by counting the bolts on the bottom pan.A ( C4 will have 11 bolts around the pan ) a ( FMX will have 14 bolts around the pan ) and a ( C6 will have 16 bolts around the pan ),hope this helps. :unitedstates:

outcruisen

Thanking you.. I will flip the auto over today and count the bolts..

Thank you

outcruisen

Buy the sounds of your discription.. The FMX wins the day.. (There are 14 bolts on the pan).. Does this sound like a transmision that would have been in a 57 Fairlane with the 312 motor?

Cheers

Hoosier Hurricane

The old FOM and COMs also had 14 bolts.  On them, on the driver's side, aft of the shift lever, there is probably an oval tag with numbers on it.  Those numbers would be a big help identifying the trans.  An FMX probably does not have that tag.  An FMX also has a vacuum modulator on the back of the main case, also driver's side.  But, COMs from the early '60s also had a modulator.  But they should have the tag.

Ford Blue blood

John, It is the engine and trans out of a 72 Ranchero.  351C 2bbl and the FMX.  No idea how many miles were on it when I bought it in 1974 but I have put 135K on it since 1980 (first drive) and have done nothing to the engine outside of routine maintenance.  Got a rebuilt tranny out of State Farm as a result of the "Great Flood" at the 92 Nats in Louiseville at about 83K on the clock.  Been a bullet proof setup!  Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II