News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Easiest way to remove bodybolts?

Started by LuckyPete, 2009-07-06 12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckyPete

I'm trying to get some help for my total restojob on my '57 fairlane 500. I've disassembled everything on the body and now it's time to seperate from the chassis to get it to my friend for some major metal restoration. Need special tools? Any advice (besides spraying some WD-40 :002:) welcome.

Greets, Pi?rre, Belgium

wolfpupsdad

well, if wd 40 or rust buster isn't working then only thing i do is either use a nut spliter but some areas limit theyre use, then i brake out the old cutting tourch , use caution and care but its fast and works.

57AGIN

LuckyPete:

I've never done a body off restoration project, but I think I've learned a few things from the videos and Overhaulin & Boyd Coddington shows I've seen.  Prior to seperating the body from the frame it would probably be a good idea to provide some cross bracing to your remaining body parts.  Then you can transport the frame or body to where ever it has to go.  I know that lots of the members of this forum have done frame off restorations and I hope they respond with their knowledge gained by something other than TV.

Bob
57AGIN

LuckyPete

The bolt is turning but everything underneath is turning with it and I don't see any hexnut to put some grip on. Coold it be that the nuts are pulled into the rubber? Or is there some thread build in the rubbers and no nut? Underneath it feels more like some square nut (lots of rust so I'm not sure), that's why I wondered if there would be some special tool to remove.

pi?rre

jwtdvm

do not know if there is an easy way--had the same problem on mine--big pair of channel locks or vise-grip on the bottom and some one to turn the top seemed to work for me--seems a few of them I could not get to that way I was able to wedge a crow bar or big screw driver under the bottom washer and that gave enough bite for some-one else to turn the top--god luck

Frankenstein57

I think the condition of the bolts will dictate if you can loosen them. My midwest 57 required a torch. And the rubber biscuits like to start on fire, so be prepared. The new body mount kit had a nut incorporated on the lower cup washer.  If Henry did it this way, then you need to hold that nut. It was a larger size, 11/16 or 3/4. The best rust buster I ever found is PB blaster, this stuff is gold working on old cars.  Mark

LuckyPete

Thanks, I'll give it a try after the weekend (will be drunk for the next 4 days, at the Belgian Rythm and Blues Festival (http://www.brbf.be/))

Piet