News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cam end float

Started by outcruisen, 2009-07-11 03:52

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

All,

Hi once again from down under.. I have another technical question re the 312 Y Block..

I have just had a new cam ground using a new billet, but for some reason the end float is about .024". The book lists and end float of between .001 and .012"..

Do you know if the additional .012" end float in the cam will make any difference to the engine? (I figure once the cam is locked in place by the lifters there is no where for it to go so .012" wouldnt make much difference at all..but what do I know)..

Also, the guy that did all my engine hot tanking has "Misplaced" the bolt, spacer and plate from the end of the cam, as well as 2 of the spacer locaters that locate the head on the block. (I am not sure if the 272 292 and 312 ones are the same).. But does anyone have any of these items spare that they are willing top part with.. (If so let me know the total cost and I can pay via paypal)..

Thanking you guys once again for your help.. It has been invaluble.

Cheers

Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

The missing parts concern me, I think your cam is not positioned correctly.  It is probably hitting the expansion plug in the back and the retainer plate in the front.  The end play is supposed to be controlled by the retainer plate by means of a spacer on the cam that is slightly thicker than the plate.  I believe small block Ford head locator bushings are the same as  the Y.  All Y bushings are the same.

JPotter57

Yes, the head dowels are the same as SBF and FE.  I may have the cam spacer and bolts, I'll have to look...give me a day or two.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

outcruisen

Found all the bits that got lost and used SBF head locator dowles.. Thanking you all for your help once again.

Cheers

Mark