News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windshield wipers

Started by rockymountaincustom, 2009-07-14 13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

rockymountaincustom

can someone tell me what other year and style used the cable run wipers. stripped the threads off of pass. side and am having a heck of a time getting the cable to work  on that same side. This cable system doesnt seem to have been one of Fords better ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

57 Ford Kustom

Today is your lucky day HA HA. 57 was a one year deal for cable wipers. I found transmissions for my car and sons car on ePay. They are getting hard to find and harder to install the older you get. I have a friend that has a sedan delivery and someone pulled out the heater, defroster ducts and put a universal push/pull set up in from inside the car. Works good except now has the lack of heat or defrosters.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

I'm using `58 parts in mine, screw those cables, too much trouble to keep operating smoothly.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rockymountaincustom

is it a hard swap to go to 58 wipers? This project is too far along to start cutting and fabricating on the dash if I can help it. I just about cried when the threads stripped off the shaft.

Frankenstein57

I'm working on putting my 58 together, The wiper linkage is arm type. The motor is inboard under the dash. The 57 defroster duct will not work. Mine came with a stiff cardboard defroster duct, they cut a radius out of the middle to clear the motor. Looks like the center of the windsheild doesn't get defrosted. I wonder if anyone makes a reproduction of it. I doubt it, mines kind of beat up. I wonder if I could glaze over the cracks with fiberglass.  Not an easy switch at this point in your project, Mark

JPotter57

Mine is heater/radio/clock delete, so I dont have a defroster duct anyway.  If you had to have one, you can take a steel 57 part and cut it up.  I had considered using 57 Thunderbird defroster duct parts, but changed my mind and kept the heater delete.  It is a pretty involved swap, have to have the dash out to start on it, then you need the `58 parts, a section of the `58 cowl makes it easier.  I hope to have some new pics up soon, been busy, out of twon a lot lately.  Going out again tomorrow in fact.  Hard to get stuff done while keeping the roads hot, lol.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

meteor

I know this isn't the best answer, but I just drove a ton of miles in all kinds of rain (lots) while on the Canadian Hot Rod Tour - with no wipers. My car will never leave the garage without an application of RainX on the windshield. Works beautifully, you have to use it to believe it. If I do put the wipers back on the car they will be for show only. RainX also has a product to eliminate the need for defrost on the inside of the windshield - I have not used it yet but have heard good things about it also.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

Frankenstein57

I have used rain X on my t-bird, which doesn't have the delay wipers, good stuff.  James, I have considered altering a 57 defroster duct, shouldn't be to hard. Got to have the heater here in Wisconsin!  It's been in the 50's and 60's all weekend. Its been cool all spring and summer. Mark

rockymountaincustom

These wipers worked great until I stripped the threads. I lucked out and found a set of wiper transmissions at a salvage yard. 75$ for the pair. Think I did OK.