News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door Flappers

Started by jdh6fan, 2009-07-23 19:21

Previous topic - Next topic

jdh6fan

I have a 57 63a 2 door hardtop that has door flappers over the doors.  Does anyone sell replacement parts for these.  I need the springs, the fuzzies that run the full length and also the approx 6 inch rubber gasket that fits in one end of them.  I can't seem to find these parts for this car.  I would think that someone would make them since there are many of these cars still alive.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

geraldchainsaw

first time i've heard of door flappers,  what r they?

jdh6fan

Door flappers mount under the roof edge and are used to seal the top of the window frame against the car.  When the door is opened the flap opens to allow the top of the vent window and the top of the window frame to open.  And when the door is shut the flapper shuts against the top of the door frame to create a seal.  As far as I know they were only used on hardtop cars due to the doors not haveing a frame, just the windows.  I hope this makes sense.  The best way to see what I'm saying is go to a local car show and look for a 57 hardtop, ford or chevrolet.  They were used on several makes and models but a 57 chevy 2dr hardtop always seems to be an easy one to find at a car show.
Thanks
Jeff

JimNolan

Jeff,
   The felt you can get from Repops.com. Just tell them what you're using it for and they'll send you what you need and explain how to prepare them. The springs can be found on Ebay, every now and then and there's a guy that sells 56 flipper parts on ebay. They are not hard to take apart. The rubber you'll have to make yourself, an old bicycle intertube would work. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

jdh6fan

Jim
I really appreciate the info.  But a couple more questions.  Does that mean that the springs and such from a 56 will work?  I seen where macs has springs for 56.  Also I looked at one of my flappers and the piece of rubber that slides in the flapper that I thought was six inches is only about two.  Do you know what this rubber is called and if it can be purchased?  I really appreciate your time.
Thanks
Jeff

JimNolan

Jeff,
   The piece of rubber in front of the flippers is irreplaceable as far as I know. I used a piece of rubber and tried to contour it to fit. So far it hasn't leaked. The piece of rubber in the back of the flippers is also irreplaceable. I just didn't include it when I did mine. This is a very teadious process replacing the felt and getting everything back right. But any journey is started with a first step. Just don't get in a hurry, you'll end up bending the stainless and you don't want that. The springs I didn't replace, mine were good, so, I don't know if a 56 spring will work. I did replace the pins that hold the flapper control though. This isn't an easy job. Do not take a screw driver and try to prize the felt out with too much force, you'll end up leaving dimples in the stainless and those dents will stick out like a sore thumb. ( Soak everything in light oil before you start taking the old felt out) . Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

cool57

The Ch*vy repop companies sell rebuild parts for Ch*v flappers. I'd bet that one vendor built the original flappers for all companies (just as Trico did wiper motors for instance) which may mean that many parts are very similar if not identical.

jdh6fan

cool57
I've kinda wondered this myself.  The main difference I notice is the Chevy uses 2 springs per side while the ford uses 3.  From just looking at pictures on the net of chevy springs they look the same to me but just not sure.  I know I cant be the first one who is really curious about these flappers.  Heck at the rate I'm going rebuilding this car I won't even need them for a couple of years.
Thanks
Jeff

Ford57Carl

If you don't want to try rebuilding these yourself, you can contact Larry Witthoeft at 507-356-4448 or email him  larrywitthoeft@pitel.net            I sent him a spare set that I had, he redid them with new felts, and springs, polished the stainless, etc.   Very well done at a reasonable cost.         The rubber you need at the upper front that goes under the "flappers" and seals the vent window frame to the windshield post is referred to in the Ford parts book as:"Weatherstrip Assembly (Roof side rail) Front corner"  part # B7A-6051676-A  R.H.  and B7A-6051677-A  L.H.  I have been looking for new ones for a few years, no one makes them repro., and I haven't found any N.O.S.   I've tried a few things to seal that corner with no luck, and have been living with a bad wind whistle there for quite a while.  Hope this helps.

cool57

"If you don't want to try rebuilding these yourself, you can contact Larry Witthoeft at 507-356-4448 or email him  larrywitthoeft@pitel.net            I sent him a spare set that I had, he redid them with new felts, and springs, polished the stainless, etc.   Very well done at a reasonable cost.         The rubber you need at the upper front that goes under the "flappers" and seals the vent window frame to the windshield post is referred to in the Ford parts book as:"Weatherstrip Assembly (Roof side rail) Front corner"  part # B7A-6051676-A  R.H.  and B7A-6051677-A  L.H.  I have been looking for new ones for a few years, no one makes them repro., and I haven't found any N.O.S.   I've tried a few things to seal that corner with no luck, and have been living with a bad wind whistle there for quite a while.  Hope this helps."

Carl, good you give us a "ballpark" figure on what Larry charged?
Thanks

Ford57Carl

Had them done during summer of 2006, cost was $250.00 U.S. dollars.
Carl

cool57

Quote from: Ford57Carl on 2009-08-04 21:44
Had them done during summer of 2006, cost was $250.00 U.S. dollars.
Carl
Thanks!