News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y-block ?

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2009-09-22 12:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Probably not the right place but it is a Y-block question.  I have a 61 F100 unibody with a 292/3 speed.  Will the rear dump passenger car manifolds work on the drivers side?  I have read that they interfere with the steering box on 50s -1960 F100s but can find nothing about fitment on the 61 - 66 F100s.  Anyone out there that can help?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KidKourier

Go to the Y-Block site (www.Y-BlocksForever.com) They are a great source of info on the y-block and several members have trucks from various years and some race them in 1/4 mile/Bonneville. KID

glen b henderson

They want work with the manual transmission. I have never tried it but they might work if you converted to the 57/60 hyd clutch and used a floor shift. The problem with the 61/66 is the Z bar and colume shift, it is right where the pass manifold dumps.
Freedom is not Free

Ford Blue blood

Thanks guys.  Glen kinda thought that from looking at pictures and looking at my 57 Ranchero, just wan't sure.  The truck has a complete exhaust system so I don't need to make changes to get it home.  Will be flying to my kids place in Rosamond, CA to get this thing tuned up and ready for the drive back.  Going to get a couple of bucket list things done as well....should be intersting......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Hoosier Hurricane

Bill:

On my '53 truck I used a RH passenger manifold on the left side, which made the exit to the front and downward.  It's easy to run a pipe from there to the muffler.  Used a passenger RH manifold on the right side.  Years ago you could buy a dual kit for cars with the crossover.  It consisted of a pipe with a loop in it to bolt to the front of the left manifold and connect to the muffler and a block off plate for the front end of the right manifold.  This could still be done.

John

Ford Blue blood

Thanks John, seen that done, does a good job, I do remember the "dual kit" from days gone........(many days).  If all else fails I will eventually spring for the "Ram horn" re-popers that are out there.  Not a header guy if there are cast iron alternatives out there.  Headers are for race cars that will turn over 6K RPM and need to breath....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

ranchero57

A few years ago a friend of mine put a 302 in a xke jaguar and he swapped exh manifolds rt to lft so that both exhs went forward and made a gentle u-bend to exit out the rear,solved all his clearance problems.A set of y-block headers would work even better as they are upside down compared to most other v-8s.Campy--ranchero57