News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EMS Patch Panels

Started by Rideau 500, 2011-01-25 12:49

Previous topic - Next topic

glen b henderson

A lot of the older patch panels were designed to weld over the damaged metal. I have rockers that just slip on over the rusted out ones. It was a cheap way to patch rust back in the day. I have a set of EMS front pans, inner and outer rockers, and cross members that I am putting in a custom 2dr. After I got the car apart I discovered that I need toe boards and a trans tunnel. I had though that I would order toe boards and tunnel from EMS, but after checking a 57A parts car that I have, I am going to cut the parts that I need from it. A lot more work, but it's orginal ford metal and in good condition.
Freedom is not Free

Rideau 500

I think I am going to do what you did Rich. As you said, it's not much to add a strip and a bonus is the crease on the old one is much sharper than the EMS. More work to get a panel off a donor car but well worth it. I have a ford custom 300 I will be "harvesting" some of the stuff from that is the same, unfortunately the quarters are not.

ranchero57

I, had a problem with the quarters on my ranchero.I bought the quarters from a company in canada (when I was just starting out on my project and was very unknowledgable at the time)that were crude and just didnt fit right.I later learned about ems,and bought rockers,inner and outer quarters,all floors and supports and just about everything they sell for a ranchero.Everything they sold me fit perfectly.If ems were not around we would all have a rougher time.Campy

cool57

I have followed this post, and while I have not yet (fingers crossed) had to make use of patch panels, I thought I'd give a heads up to Alexander from EMS customer service. I know him from the HAMB where we both are members. I've read his responses over there when customers have questions or problems and he seems to be a standup guy. I contacted him, here is his comment.

i have been following the comments and photo?s of parts, we realize that the group 57fordforever is a premium site for hard core fans of 57 fords.

i would like to respond directly but after a number days we have not been approved for a login password. so one of our friends who is also one of your friends has agreed to post this for us.

if you remember back 7 years ago before ems automotive began producing parts for 57 fords, the selection was limited and quality poor, slip over panels designed in the early 60?s to quickly patch the car so it could be rolled out on the used car lot were common. these panels are often still found in older body shops as they bought them in bulk.

the photo of a older does not match the ems panel, rideau has not show us a photo of his car. my comment is many cars have been repaired in the past with panels similar to the old rusted one shown could it be possible and probable that rideau?s car was repaired with one of these old panels hence the old panel matching his car??? it seems his car has. we copied a rust free car no dents, no repairs. the inner fender will not locate the 1/4 it is not designed to.

also ems proudly puts there name on all panels you know were it came from. how many other panels you see with no name , many hard to blame who you do not know.

at ems automotive we take great pride and concern in using only the best cars possible for patterns for replacement panels, we have both a 500 and 300 in a heated warehouse for quality control and engineering. this why only ems produces separate 300 and 500 1/4?s.

the 300 and 500 are similar but also have many differences. so a comparison of these panels will show differences as they are different hence 2 part numbers.

our fender lip was made extra long so guys with skirts could have a lip that the skirts will hang on to.

the comments about mercury?s are always difficult as sometimes merc?s are the same and sometimes similar but with a small change and most times a combination of both. 57 merc (small body) share many but not all parts with the 57 ford. ad our answer on fit will vary in accordance with your answer about damage ( sometime part of panel can be used to satisfy the customer needs) and sometimes customers get confused when one part fits great and the next is different. this is the way ford built the cars, not ems?s decision to be helpful or not helpful. we do not like to sell parts when we know they will not fit.

fords made in canada ( and others in overseas markets) will have their unique features and names we do our best to keep track, but some models are low in production hence difficult to track .

as to the rear trunk floor brace, yes it is not a exact copy, 2 reasons , it is a low demand item and the budget does not allow for the stamped ends. and from a practical point it does not add to function, but the open ends of the ems brace will allow for better drainage and air flow to keep the inside dry.

our web site photo?s, yes guilty of poor web site design, when my kids get to be 14 yo i am sure they will create a super web site, but us old guys have trouble with this stuff.

ems automotive will always address customer comments like these we take more time to find the best parts to copy from, (sometimes the best is not so good but all we have) we do not need to hide behind e-mails or answering machines. as i said before we put our name on everything so you know were it came from. we are not that mystery company from that city. and this could make use the 800lb gorilla and easy to pick on.

a bad comparison to a unknown panel is not fair. simply put our panels fit and are manufactured correctly.

we are happy to listen to any other comments from our customers

p.s we are looking for some nos front fenders to make a better copy of some fenders parts (borrow or buy)

p.s.s we hope to get our login approved

RICH MUISE

oustanding response...and very glad to hear the manufacturers are paying attention to us. Thanks Alexander for your time to respond and cool 57 for posting.
Just one note..if I understand the acceptance rules for this website correctly, ems may not be allowed on, nothing personal, just that I believe they don't allow commercial suppliers on to avoid being inundated with propaganda that you know will happen from some...unfair to the ones that wouldn't do that but we all know about the bad apples that ruin things for everybody. Alexander, if you have been following this website as you mentioned, you know the vast majority of us appreciate what ems has done for us, and we will continue to support ems as our needs arise...now for that battery tray repair panel....
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Alex L.

He does make an excellent point, it is hard to say if the original posters mercury was previously repaired and if so what panels were used. I have been following this thread quite a bit as i will soon have to do some rear quarter panel repairs on my 57 Fairlane 500 and i am impressed with the response from EMS. I will check some measurements before i order but probably will go with EMS. Thank you Alexander.

tarheel57

I work in a restoration shop for a living,and 85% of our work is 1970 and back with most of it in the 30's,40's,& 50's.Sometimes we do a late model or insurance job.Even with the technology of todays new cars,when you buy a replacement pannel, or 1/4 pannel,patch pannel,etc.you are very lucky if it fits like it should.Sometimes they have to be modified a little to get everything lined up right.So even as well as our cars were built in the 50's we know the presses and stamps were not as true and accurate then as they are now. At work we have use EMS products a lot over the years and when we have need for a repair they are the ones we look to first.We work on all brands at times and have used different brands of replacement pannels for fords,chevys etc.and beleive me EMS has as good of product as any of them.They are a lot of automobles that you can't get any or no replacement pannels for,so I think we should be happy and thankful for all the different parts they make for our 57 fords.I have no problem with EMS products and sometimes dont mind having to modifying a little, because if you have ever had to make or form a pannel from scratch it can be very timely and still not be correct.I think they do a good job on the parts they produce for us and Im thankful for the products they offer for our 57 fords.We should support these companys because the investment they have made helps keep our cars and hobby alive.Just my 2 cents worth,Thanks Tarheel57 :unitedstates:

JPotter57

What is the user name and email of this user?  I will go in and approve him right away, I havent received any of the activation emails back from any of the recent new members.  Let me know asap, and I will make that right.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

Guys,
   Let me throw in about 2 cents worth of information. I never knew EMS existed before I did the total restoration of my Fairlane. The guy that did the body work didn't know they existed either. But, my body man knew everyone elses panels. He has restored a lot of cars and he claims the EMS panels on my 57 were the best he'd ever worked with. That said, the fender lip around the wheel opening is too wide ( my body guy could have trimmed that ). The fender skirts at the rear don't fit perfect ( small gap, same on both sides ). I've tried two sets of fender skirts and they are both the same. My body man had my fender skirts to help with the alignment and that's as close as he could get them.  I miked one piece for thickness and it was .050" thick.
   I used all the metal compontants that EMS made for my car. My body man even talked to them about making rear inner fenders in the future. I think that EMS would do better if they made the front and rear quarter panels as one piece. But, after listening to the problems my body man said he had with other company's panels, I'll stick with EMS. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

a lip that's too wide is a whole lot better than one that's too narrow. A few minutes with a cut off tool and you're done.As I had recently mentioned I had to weld a strip onto mine. Jim by inner rear fenders, are you talking inner rear quarters, which they didn't make until just after I had redone mine, or wheel wells which I hope they make at least patch panels for in the future?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
   I'm talking about the rear wheel wells. The inner fender for the wheel well. They didn't make that part and my body man had to make them. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

cool57

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2011-02-04 12:03
What is the user name and email of this user?  I will go in and approve him right away, I havent received any of the activation emails back from any of the recent new members.  Let me know asap, and I will make that right.

James,
         here is his HAMB profile http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=22626 you can PM him.

BAMA_57

I hope this problem gets straitened out, I need to replace the right 1/4 for my 500 but not from rust (body damage). I wonder if EMS will ever produce a full 1/4 panel? Most of my damage is down low and I can make it work with the patches but I would LOVE a full piece.  :005:
Ron
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

ems customer service

thank you for all the nice comments, and a big thanks to "cool57" for making us aware of this thread and for posting our reply prior to us getting approved for membership,  our login did come through this evening and we are happy to be on board.

i am sure somewhere there is a place for us to make a profile and we will, but here is a short history of ems and hopefully a few photos if i can get them on
=============
ems machines it own dies, has the largest press's in the repo industry, along with a workforce that getting ready to introduce its 4th generation of workers (shown in photo) to the manufacture of auto parts.

the owners granddad started a fisher body in 1919
the owner worked at gm as a on/duty production engineer
the process engineer's dad stated at cadillac 1948 ,then mercury/edsal 1957
chief press operator 31years at ems and 15 years at dana, his dad started at dana corp 1941 (stamping frames)
press operator helper's  granddad started at ford rouge stamping plant 1939, his dad chrysler 25 years and then 15 years at ems

our workers make the same parts there dads and granddads did, 100's of years of automotive production experience at ems, we continue to make tooling for oem's and 1st/2nd tier suppliers to the auto industry.

a actual photo of our parts is posted on our web site ( the web does need some work) why? because customers need to see what there gonna get, don't like it we take it back (30 day limit unless you got a good story).

did you buy the wrong part at a show from one of our dealers and forgot who it was, we exchange it no charge. (you pay shipping)

since ems has been in the industry for a long time and will be here for alot longer the ems company will respect the customer and provide the best part/best value to its customers. we do not try to deceive anyone.

our participation will be limited  (by our own accord) to  technical assistence to other members, customer service problems brought to us by other members,  and ems doing research on 57 fords, mid-year production changes this cause us fits, and issue of overseas or export models. 

we wont abuse our membership to endlessly promote sales. we thank the management of 57fordforever for the honor of being accepted to the forum.

ems customer service

Quote from: BAMA_57 on 2011-02-04 21:49
I hope this problem gets straitened out, I need to replace the right 1/4 for my 500 but not from rust (body damage). I wonder if EMS will ever produce a full 1/4 panel? Most of my damage is down low and I can make it work with the patches but I would LOVE a full piece.  :005:
Ron

this is a common request but, budget and shipping issue's make it impractical