News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

headliner installation

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-05-20 10:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I was wondering if anybody has done their own headliner installation. I know the recommended proceedure is to install it before installing the front and back windshields...but as usual I'd like to approach it differently. When I install the glass, I would like to really use alot of sealer and clean off the excess after it's in. I'm really paranoid about leakage, and don't want to have to do it twice. The problem that presents is I can see there being a problem with sealer getting on the new headliner.
My best guess is that the headliner can be done with the glass installed, just more difficult. I can't imagine if you brought your car to an upholstery shop for a new headliner, they would remove the windshield and back glass to do it.
The other reason is I haven't totally given up on the idea of a seamless moulded headliner...a project I may want to play with some more down the road.
So, has anybody done a headliner with the glass in??  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fordaholic

Rich: Don`t do it if you have the option ; put the headliner in first. Yes it can be done. We did it that way with my son`s 64 Galaxie 2 door post. Here`s the problem he had a year or so later. Cruseing around with the windows down on those warm nites ; eventually the wind flaping on that last section of headliner, pulled it away from the little bit of mldg. that was holding it. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.  Gary  (way up here in Ontario where it just stoped raining for a day)

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: fordaholic on 2011-05-20 21:30
Rich: Don`t do it if you have the option ; put the headliner in first. Yes it can be done. We did it that way with my son`s 64 Galaxie 2 door post. Here`s the problem he had a year or so later. Cruseing around with the windows down on those warm nites ; eventually the wind flaping on that last section of headliner, pulled it away from the little bit of mldg. that was holding it. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.  Gary  (way up here in Ontario where it just stoped raining for a day)

What he said!  That last section will never stay put.  Seal the back window after it is in.  Pull up the lip and put the urethane sealer under the out side lip and clean off then.  A caulk gun nozzle cut off straight will fit under the lip and shoot in as much as it takes to ooze out, press lightly but firmly, wipe off the access (gas works well) and let it rest (OUT of the sun for at least two days) and you should have a leak free window.  (Learned this doing a 68 Mustang head liner)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

I'll take all of you guy's advice...thanks for the input. I ordered the headliner last night from www.automotiveinteriors.com, and I'll let you know how it looks when it arrives. I had a choice between cotton nap, foam backed,or a synthetic, with a wide range of colors in each catagory.They recommended either the cotton nap or the synthetic for novice installers. I went with the synthetic for the best color choice to match my carpet. It took about a week to get the sample materials I had requested, and will take about 2 weeks for the headliner to be made.
This is actually getting to be funny..I was wanting to start putting some of the new parts I have aquired over the years onto the car now that it finally has paint. So, I have all my glass and new seals,and thought about installing those...thus the headliner first problem. Today I realized...wait, before I can do the headliner, I have to run the electrical wiring for the dome light and vanity lighted mirrors in the sun visors, and maybe a third brake light if I decide to install it on the ceiling. So now I'm figuring out what I need to do before I start the electrical stuff. LOL. I need a nap. Too much thinking  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich the front windshield does not need to come out, having it out gives you the pinch weld to clamp the headliner to while pulling and streaching it out, just a lot easier if you are working along.  After all is snug all the way accross you can then staple it to the tack strips.  The rear should be out to wrap around the pinch weld.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II