News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Adapting later model sunvisors

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-07-16 23:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

This is my next project I've been piddling with. I picked up a pair of 80's Cadilac sunvisors, refinished and recovered them last year. I'm now adapting them to the '57 brackets. It was relatively easy as the Caddy visors had a tubing for the arms that the I.D. was close to the size of the '57 solid arms. I reamed about .015 out of the tubing and fit it to the original brackets. I'd like to keep the lights that are in the visors for map reading, so the next thing is to figure on how to run the wires that use to go thru the tubing. I will probably have a short run of exposed wires that I can neaten up a bit to look ok
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Great stuff Rich, I have also saved several free sets of visors with the intention of trying to make them work.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Thanks Mark...I forgot to mention one of the reasons I picked these sunvisors is the ease in which they could be recovered. If you look at pic #3, you will see that the sunvisor has a seam between the front half and the back half....like a clam shell. The foam backed headliner material I recovered them with just tucked into the seam neatly and tightly all around..making it a no-sew recover. I need to change the fabric on them to match the headliner I just bought ( I bought extra fabric), but I'll leave the foam backed stuff on there both for padding and to make sure the thinner replacement fabri is held tightly enough without the mess of gluing.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe