News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

screws in slicks

Started by wv 57s forever, 2011-08-20 06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

wv 57s forever

:burnout:

do all slicks need the extra screws to keep them from spinning on the rim?

shopratwoody

Always screwed mine on. Depends on HP and bite I guess and air pressure
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

I used to Allan, but when I started running my slicks tubeless, I quit.  It was a waste of time and good rims to screw them while running without tubes.  By the way, yes, you can run them tubeless, they run cooler, and not as heavy either. 
Remember if you run slicks, you have to have a driveshaft loop too.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wildhog

You do not have to screw the slicks on unless you have tons of horse power and hook like a big dog. Also slicks will change the class you run in, drag radials can run in the D.O.T. tire class. Hope this helps Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

My last car had about 600 flywheel hp, ran on 10 inch M/T ET Drags, it hooked pretty well, rims didn't slip in the tires.  I marked the slick with a white tire marker at the valve stem, it hadn't moved enough to matter in several trips to the track, so I figured it was ok.  Like Tom says, it would have to be a ton of HP, like maybe 800 or better, and on big tires to worry about screwing them to the rims.  I would probably screw the tires to the rims if I were running, say, a pair of big turbos, on a big block, with maybe 15 or better psi.  Any naturally aspirated motor is cool without it.
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever

that much hp is really not my problem. i am more worried about the weight of the car .  the slicks are tube type Phoenix fx on steel wheels.

JPotter57

If you're running tubes, I probably would Allan.  If the tire rotates and swallows up the valve stem, it will likely cause it to rupture the tube.  Seriously, though, I'd just take out the tubes. 
Old, loud, and fast.