News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Balancing Tires

Started by JimNolan, 2007-12-03 16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I had something happen to me today that I don't quiet understand. I had 4 rims for my 57 that I sandblasted and repainted. I had new tires on older rims that didn't fit the disc brake setup I have. I took them to a new place to get the tires put on the new rims. When I went back to pick them up the guy that did the job told me he had them marked for where they went on the car. Sure enough each tire was marked LF, RF, RR and LR. He said it was the way they balanced, and I'd get a better ride if I installed them the way he had them marked.
  HAVE YOU GUYS EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Yeah, Jim, usually, the wheel with the most weight will go furthest from the driver front.  This would be the right rear.  You put the wheels with the least weight on the front, so you get a smoother road feel through the steering wheel.  I think it is really theoretical, but I have done it that way myself in the past.  I do know you always want your best tires in front, with the least amount of weight on them as well.  If you have tires with a lot of weight on the front, ususally two ounces or more, it can cause the car to pull to one side or the other.  I never realized it could be that bad until I got my ASE cert for suspension and alignment.  Tires can do some crazy stuff.  So, your tire guy is not BS'ing you.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
   Thanks, I guess the new place will get my business from now on. Live and Learn.
I bought five 1986 Ford Ranger 14" rims and sandblasted and painted them to run my whitewalls and hubcaps with. They're 5 1/2 inches wide with @ 4" backspace. They worked great on my disc brakes. I did round off the wheel side edge of the caliper though. Finding five rims that would fit my car with disc brakes wasn't easy. Jim
Merry Christmas

custom300fe

There you go, 60 years old and been driving for 45 years. I guess you're never to old to learn something new

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

cool57

Quote from: JimNolan on 2007-12-03 16:16
Guys,
   I had something happen to me today that I don't quiet understand. I had 4 rims for my 57 that I sandblasted and repainted. I had new tires on older rims that didn't fit the disc brake setup I have. I took them to a new place to get the tires put on the new rims. When I went back to pick them up the guy that did the job told me he had them marked for where they went on the car. Sure enough each tire was marked LF, RF, RR and LR. He said it was the way they balanced, and I'd get a better ride if I installed them the way he had them marked.
  HAVE YOU GUYS EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING. Jim
:interesting: Then when you rotate your tires........

JimNolan

Guys,
    I went out on the four lane today and sustained a speed of 80 mph for quiet a while. The steering wheel was solid. No shake, shimmy or vibration what's so ever. It's never drove this good before. If it weren't for the wind whistling around the side glass you'd think you were riding in a real car. I think a large part of it is tires and rims but I believe a good portion of it is the Disc Brake hubs and new transmission - driveshaft combination. I'm taking my Cragars down to the new place to have them balanced also. I won't settle for what I had before. Jim

wv 57s forever

all 4 tires the same? not  on my 57

JPotter57

Quote from: cool57 on 2007-12-04 17:24
   :interesting: Then when you rotate your tires........
That's why I said I thought it was good in theory.  A lot of the service guides at places like Firestone, Goodyear, and BF Goodrich have stuff like that in it.  For me, the jury is still out.  If the tire is balanced, it will ride smooth anyway.    You are correct that when you rotate your tires, the heavier weighted tires will wind up in front anyway.  Unless of course, like me, you've put Big-N-Littles on her.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.